Gamespy Locks Up Splinter Cell 3 MP Demo

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
UbiSoft is readying the Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory multiplayer demo and has announced that it will be ready in the "near future", though only to Gamespy "premium" members for the first week. (Thanks, Shack)

mikeohara

Out Of Retirement, B***H.
Jun 28, 2004
White Oak, TX
www.otakuinaroom.com
hal said:
UbiSoft is readying the Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory multiplayer demo and has announced that it will be ready in the "near future", though only to Gamespy "premium" members for the first week. (Thanks, Shack)

I really dislike FilePlanet myself, but I will go there when I can't find downloads for a game .... I'd bet $1 that within 24 hours, there are at least 5 new mirrors available to download the demo from (BU being one of those)

the IGN/Gamespy beast = :tdown: x 10 from me
(thank god no one remembers the public outcry when the first demo for Call Of Duty was released)

Shrimp

Seafood splatter
Jan 13, 2003
Deep in South Africa
shrimpworks.za.net
FilePlanet is to files what EA is to game licenses.

It's sad, really... What's more sad is the publishers and developers actually support this kind of thing... Do they *want* fewer people playing their stuff?

GG GameSpy

communist

Mar 19, 2002
Vandenberg Airbase
Visit site
I never thought much of the Splinter Cell series and anyone else who does so will probably just say "Me has heard of the exclusive deal AND me doens't give a shít about it!".

Are they so desperate to make money out of anything and totally forgetting the point of a demo?

OTOH most of these sites feel like they're just like a magazine subscription where mag x or y once a while will have something exclusive and hence they're just doing what everyone else is :eek:

To conclude: do whatever floats your boat publisher x - if you think that readers and / or subscribers of mag x are more worthy to try your demo than those of mag y then yeah go ahead and do more of this exclusive crap :rolleyes:

PS: I know its just for a week but then again 'whats the point?'

sweeny

stick that in you phife and smoke it!!!
Nov 29, 2002
Leeds, UK
Visit site
here comes the bad coment about games spy, i remebor a time when file planet was ok (well better then it is now anyways) but those days are now gone. im confused as to why you need to pay for a free taste of the game. yes file planet sucks but just look on then good side of things, if there was no file planet then people would be less apreciateive to the good sites such as beyond unreal (every action has an = and opposit reaction ;))

mackey

Cometh the apocalypse.
Aug 27, 2004
England
www.fpscentral.com
Erm, yeah I agree FP sucks but Splinter Cell is cool and they'll only have it as a special for the paying members for a week or so.

Personally I don't think I'll be downloading it anyway, as good as it may be there is better stuff to waste my bandwidth on.

Deapblade

Jul 15, 2004
You dislike a game because the demo is out earlier on a place you dislike then at a place you like?

Aren't you guys a little bit overreacting?

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Oh, it's nothing new and it's not exclusive to this site. Just about every gaming site is opposed to exclusive demos, particularly those that are distributed only to paying customers. Demos are supposed to be a demonstration of your game - not bait for supporting pay-per-download (which is what premium membership is effectively).

I will admit that it's a bit hypocritical to see sites like Shack moan about it when they themselves offer a premium membership. Though I don't know of any exclusives they have ever offered.

If you remember a while back, as pointed out above, most of the major gaming news sites, including Blue's, Shack, 3DGamers, etc all wrote a letter to the publisher of COD stating that they would not host any files that were first offered as an exclusive to one particular site. Didn't take long for it to be made available to everyone.

mikeohara

Out Of Retirement, B***H.
Jun 28, 2004
White Oak, TX
www.otakuinaroom.com
hal said:
Oh, it's nothing new and it's not exclusive to this site. Just about every gaming site is opposed to exclusive demos, particularly those that are distributed only to paying customers. Demos are supposed to be a demonstration of your game - not bait for supporting pay-per-download (which is what premium membership is effectively).

I will admit that it's a bit hypocritical to see sites like Shack moan about it when they themselves offer a premium membership. Though I don't know of any exclusives they have ever offered.

If you remember a while back, as pointed out above, most of the major gaming news sites, including Blue's, Shack, 3DGamers, etc all wrote a letter to the publisher of COD stating that they would not host any files that were first offered as an exclusive to one particular site. Didn't take long for it to be made available to everyone.

Hal,

I've had a FileShack Mercury account in the past and from my time spent on that service, I will agree with you that during the time that I was a member there were no exclusive files offered for download on Shack that weren't available for download on any other site. I think that would be the best case to do for Splinter Cell 3 as well, but I honestly don't know if Ubisoft would listen to those letters or not (as they enraged many within the Raven Shield community with a patch release of all things). It would be worth the effort to try writing letters or someone putting up a petition like on PetitionOnline or something. Hell, even a news item on the front page of BU about this would help.