Game Design and Education - How Much Does A Degree Help?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Exactly......Degree + Portfolio > Portfolio

Now am I saying you won't get anywhere? Not at all, the degree will be the slight advantaged in todays competitive markets IMO

A degree in game design or just a game course shows you're at least half-decent in any of the jobs (modeling, texturing, env art, GD, LD, animation, etc), but not excellent in a particular one. Solely having a great design portfolio = more attention to actually doing work = higher motivation = higher value. Doing a game design course does not necessarily show you're passionate about creating videogames, whereas having a portfolio tends to do just that. A degree could theoretically help. I've not seen it practically make a difference though.

EDIT: You can of course believe what you want. The popular opinion among developers on this forum should tell you something though.

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I don't think you're getting the point here.

Person A with a degree, will have developed his portfolio, because he has been pushed in that direction.

Person B without it, will have developed his portfolio, solely because he has pushed himself to do it.

Whether Person A or B is the more dedicated, is irrelevant. The recruiting body doesn't know that. They'll make their opinions based on their stance on education and self-learning, and what either person actually has to say for themselves.

Almost Tactful

Unreal Noob
Apr 8, 2009
But what if I'm person C who is infact person B with the idea that he doesn't want person A to have any possible advantages on him?

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Then you're just not plain getting the point, or simply refusing to accept it. There is NO person C. There are two candidates. The recruiting panel only sees what is there. They make their judgement based on that. Their opinion decides you're fate.

Almost Tactful

Unreal Noob
Apr 8, 2009
Well this has been a pretty good discussion IMO although it has me feeling a bit foolish but then again that is the feeling of learning at times.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
But what if I'm person C who is infact person B with the idea that he doesn't want person A to have any possible advantages on him?

There is no person C in the eyes of the recruiting side. You have either studied and have been pushed into making a portfolio, or you haven't and you've pushed yourself. Who you in fact are is not very relevant at that point. Degrees have the downside of putting you in that box. They have the upside of giving the company overseas more arguments to get immigration to let you through, and shows you at least have basic capability in several fields.

You can speculate about an ideal world in which degrees make that much difference, but right now, in this world it seems they don't.

Almost Tactful

Unreal Noob
Apr 8, 2009
Well I'll keep my finger crossed that it will help me in the long run ;) but who knows :) if push comes to shove all I have to do is not mention I have one and then I can work both angles lol

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
They have the upside of giving the company overseas more arguments to get immigration to let you through.

Thank you EU, and freedom of movement! :clap:

From what I gather migrating to the US from the EU is next to impossible right now without seriously harsh immigration restrictions, if at all.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
The person A vs person B argument sounds a bit off to me. It looks like your jumping to the conclusion that because this person has a degree in that area that he has no interest to drive himself. I've at no point been pressured into portfolio stuff by people at uni, I do it because I personally enjoy it and want to have something worth showing.

Almost Tactful

Unreal Noob
Apr 8, 2009
The person A vs person B argument sounds a bit off to me. It looks like your jumping to the conclusion that because this person has a degree in that area that he has no interest to drive himself. I've at no point been pressured into portfolio stuff by people at uni, I do it because I personally enjoy it and want to have something worth showing.

The other guy with the degree understands where I'm coming from, sweet

Almost Tactful

Unreal Noob
Apr 8, 2009

From what I gather migrating to the US from the EU is next to impossible right now without seriously harsh immigration restrictions, if at all.

Any idea how it is the other way around? I want the hell out of this country. :lol:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
In the UK, a US Bachelors degree is not even accepted as legitimate by many large companies, and a US Masters is considered the equivalent of a UK Bachelors. Very harsh, but it's frequently the case.

Fortunately, as we've already mentioned, the degree isn't all that important anyway; but it's much more likely someone from the EU will be hired, because immigration isn't as much of an issue.

That's not it at all. The assumption is that the other person did it the hard way, because they very much believe in what they want to do - and that earns more respect. You need to see these things from both angles. Don't forget, I'm doing a 'games' degree too - but I've also worked in the industry, and seen things from both perspectives.

People are biased, will make assumptions and will jump to conclusions.

Almost Tactful

Unreal Noob
Apr 8, 2009
In the UK, a US Bachelors degree is not even accepted as legitimate by many large companies, and a US Masters is considered the equivalent of a UK Bachelors. Very harsh, but it's frequently the case.

I really don't like where I live, we are supposed to be some kind of superior country but everything we do is so.....sub par....

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com

Meh. Migrating to the US is a matter of getting a temp visa and/or apply for a greencard. People with degrees, or 5+ years experience in their field take precedence in selection procedures. I moved to Canada from the EU last year. There are similar rules, but a lot less stringent than with the US.

Like mentioned, it may be a skewed set of rules, but your own opinion of who you are and why you are doing it are not the most relevant, since it's mostly the recruiter who will be deciding those things. Then again, if you do score that interview, you can tell them all about how you see yourself.

Any idea how it is the other way around? I want the hell out of this country. :lol:

A degree helps to get into the EU, but immigration law is different per country. I know for a fact that immigration for the Netherlands is a solid 2 years of bureaucratic crap if you don't have the backing of a company to lead you through the swamp of paperwork. Companies in the EU tend to have some experience getting people from overseas, and they will most likely aid in getting you through it, if they want to hire you.

EDIT: Also, I cannot type fast enough to post before people move onto other points or already say what I meant to say. I'm looking at you Ambershee! :mad: ;)

Last edited:

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
More of a philosophical point, but I don't agree with the games industry going in the direction of giving more weight to degrees when they aren't even necessary to show a person's skill. We're inventing ways to take other people's money, and guaranteeing that more people start their careers loaded with debt, which in turn traps more people in jobs they don't like, which doesn't do much for the already sketchy quality of life at some studios and the industry as a whole.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
That's not it at all. The assumption is that the other person did it the hard way, because they very much believe in what they want to do

Ok that is fair enough. I taught myself UED long before I started Uni anyway :p
The degree for me has introduced me to 3dsmax + Maya and demonstrated how rubbish the source engine is to work with :p