FX-55 & X850XT PE - Games (except UT2k4) randomly crash

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sahkolihaa

Ow...
Dec 29, 2004
England
I've had my FX-55 and X850XT PE for about 2 days now and I've had nothing but problems with it. Games such as Call of Duty 2, Half-Life 2 and Quake 4 just keep randomly crashing either to the desktop with no error, crash with an error or lock the entire system up with a screeching noise coming from my speakers.

One thing I think may have caused this problem is the faulty IDE cable that was used to install Windows 2000 Pro, but I've not seen anything in the event log about currupt files (and Windows it's self doesn't seem to have a problem).

My PC spec:

AMD FX-55 ClawHammer
2GB Kingston Value PC3200 RAM (4x 512MB)
ATI Radeon X850XT PE AGP
DFI LANParty UT nForce3 Ultra-D Motherboard
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

I've ran:

memtest - 100% Passed
Folding@Home - ran for many hours and completed many WUs
3DMark03/05 many times, including ATI Tool's Artifact Finder
Prime95 which I'm running again over night

Any ideas? I'm about to stick my P4 back in since I cannot use a system that is this unstable at the LAN I'm going to this weekend :(

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
What's your PSU?

On Full load the GPU will suck alot of power, so will the cpu. UT's more CPU based and might not be using the full power of the card which the others might..

Rukee

Coffee overclocks the overclocker!!
May 15, 2001
Over here!!!
Visit site
try to run with two memeory sticks at a time too, if they are not exactly the same kits, they may cause the crashes too. Running 4 sticks also runs them all at a slower speed then 2, plus forces the 2T command rate as well.

Sahkolihaa

Ow...
Dec 29, 2004
England
Found the problem. Sound driver that I used on my P4 (that worked) didn't like the new motherboard. Updated it to the newest one (released about 2 days ago) and now it seems to be fine (curse you Creative).