FragBU! Sat July 5! CTF!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I am not going to pm you because this concerns all of us not just you and me.

I had fun. Lots of fun.

If you can't loose and have fun then you've missed the point of having a fragbu. Granted it would have been better if the teams were even but that doesn't mean you still can't play and have fun. Of course part of your gripe is that you didn't know who they were. Firstly we knew overdoze and I'm pretty sure iampro is his friend. I knew who they were. Not to mention that I hardly knew any of the people that played back with old fragpu. That's besides the point though. New people come along. You can't say you can't play because you don't know them. If you don't know them then you should take the effort to find out who they are. We should be welcoming them into our community with open arms not shunning them because they're better than you and you've only barely met.

Of course don't get me wrong here it would have been better if they tried to even out the teams a little bit, but you can't let an insigificant thing like that ruin the night for you.

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
All of us get owned at one time or another.

But if you don't play people that are better than you you'll never develop any appreciable amount of skill.

And while we're at it, can you please cool it with the language Dope? I know you're getting frustrated but I don't want newcomers thinking that they aren't welcome because you're swearing all the time.

WebSlinger

bNotNegative != False
Feb 29, 2000
Oklahoma City, OK
Yup, New Game, New People, New Times, this is FragBU. I don't care much about what it's supposed to be. I'm not much of a traditionalist; I don't think I ever attended a UT'99 FragBU.

I think it was TWD that one day said "we need to have a FragBU," so I re-started it. Every Friday and Saturday for many months now people have shown then posted back "GGs" "I had fun" or "What was up with the server?." ;) If we stop having FragBU's next week, or next month, or next year... I would hardly call that a failure.

Dopefish, you are the first and only person to post back and complain about not liking FragBU's format or idea. So, please either:
  1. Get over it, and have fun with us
  2. Leave us alone, and don't try and rain on our fun
  3. Start your own event and do it the way you want to
  4. Do whatever makes you happy while respecting the joy of others
The first rule in FragBU is Have Fun.

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
FragBu is, or was, imo a place for casual gamers to get an organised game without lameness or '1337' peeps making all their gaming efforts futile. If it floats your boat to shoot the hell out your fellow friendly forumers and 'own' them then yes, you have a small penis.

Otherwise, if you're comfortable with your manhood you can have a nice game without owning the newstarts, picking on the pingy or counting up the caps.

Rev.Whoopass

Sperm Bot
Aug 5, 2000
Connecticut
Visit site
i had fun.Thewalkinkman is getting better and better every week.Dopey,you just got the game,give it time man.It will come back to you.

A few times the teams were horrid.That's just lame when 1 team has 4 players and are up 5-0 and the other team has 3 players,and their total score is -1
People really need to switch up when asked.

WebSlinger

bNotNegative != False
Feb 29, 2000
Oklahoma City, OK
Oh yah, I barly notice teams, this was easier to do in UT99 when the scoreboard would show up when you died. Also, I tend to "zone out" some of the chat, so, if you notice uneven teams, I don't think any of us would mind multiple "gentle reminders" ;) until ppl make necessary switches.

I switched to the winning (Red) team on Maul because I noticed that Blue outnumbered them by 2... if that was a deliberate attempt to even the score, then sorry, I missed that... but I did notice that after those team changes that there were no more flags capped... to bad that game didn't start that way, it may have gone to overtime... oh well, I had fun chasing TWD so I could cuddle him while Flame kept popping my head off.

Demos coming sometime today

The Dopefish

Eat your veggies!
Apr 17, 2000
Springfield, MA, USA
In closing, all I'm going to say is we'll see what happens next week. You invited me to play and that's fine, I came. But I'm not too keen on getting my ass handed to me every match when I know that in the past when there was tough competition my team and I were up to the task. It's very disheartening.

So, yeah...be back next Saturday.

*NiKita*

aka Flame
Dec 6, 2002
Ohio
www.atomicrage.net
Hmm well I usually try to keep the game balanced by switching. I have even dropped out of the game and spectated when I knew I would unbalance teams. Also, I know Rev and I both don't go "all out" like we would for matches and things. Hell, half the time Rev is drunk LOL!

However, this is the second time someone has complained about skill levels and it not equating to fun. The first time it happened, I quit coming to FragBU altogether. Not because I feel that I am all that "skilled" but because it was directed at Ci in particular. I felt like I was no longer welcome to come.

If those of you don't think FragBu's are fun because the skill level is too broad, then take a good look around you. TWD, Han, Brizz, and many others are 10 times the players they were when they started playing in FragBu. I'm sure the game is much more fun for them now that they have improved and can see their improvement.

No, FragBu is not perfect. It isn't always a blast. However, if I'm not having a good time all I have to do is hit "disconnect". I don't sit around and complain that both |C| people were on the same team, or that Rev should leave because he's so much better than me. I also don't tell people to not bother coming back......that is SO way out of line. In my opinion Webby is truly the only one to tell people they are not welcome at FragBu since it's his server.

I think the main reason FragBu was initiated is a good thing. And, more than not I have had an awesome time with my friends during them. Let's not let one bad night or one bad game interfere.

x3dfxTarget

Jun 4, 2003
Houston, Tx
Visit site
It does get old being cannon fodder for the higher skilled players sometimes, but even an old fart like me does get better (learns a few new tricks here and there:) ) by playin against ppl like the rev, web, nighty and many others. And, when I finally DO get a frag on them, I get as much or more enjoyment out of that 1 kill than they will on the 20 or 30 they got on me. Bottom line is..I just like to play, and gettin beat by good players is a fact I live with...just watch your back...cause if I get the chance, I'll put a rocket up the wazoo :)

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Ugh!!! Two weekends in a row I was out of town! I'm having FragBU withdrawls. ;)

Other than a few minor complaints, how was it this weekend? Did I miss anything cool?

BuF's Wipping Boy will try to make it next week, unless the wifey makes other plays for us again. :D

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
All I can say is AMEN FLAME. When I started coming to FragBU I got my @$$ completely and utterly wasted every three seconds. I used to get pretty frustrated because it seemed like most of the time my head was coming off from a lightning bolt...lately though, I don't jest that I have more than quadrupled my skill. I get more hits with the lightning gun than I ever got with the sniper rifle in UT99, I can predict the crap out of most people, and my general enjoyment of the game on about ANY server has doubled my skill easily. Like the quote, I've gotten to the point where I would rather lose 0-1 than win 8-0 just because completely wasting the other team makes it boring and I would rather have fun.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
It's best when it's hard. My favorite game was a romra against rev. Everyone on my team was on teamspeak and we started to get some good teamwork going. Soon we were ahead and I think rev decided to stop holding back. It was really hard but we were able to take him out when it really mattered and we won. Unfortunatly the server crashed last 3 seconds :\ It was fun because it was hard, and getting the absolute crap kicked out of you is how you get better.

I think hiteche5 would agree that I got better as the night went on. I had to play better to stand a chance against these guys, and I definatly was able to do that. Every once and a while it just comes to me and nobody can stop me. On the maul le 100 map I made a flag cap that totally blew me away. Everything worked perfectly, I had a killing spree, and I capped the flag. That's me playing at my best, and I want to be at this level all the time. I'm so close to reaching the next level. I just need to be pushed hard enough long enough to take me there. The last thing I need right now is for people to hold back and make things easy for me.

I kept note of my favorite shots so when we get the demos we know where they are and we can take a fraps of it. I only had 2 that I thought were really amazing:

Maul-le100: Great flag run. I got a killing spree returned our flag everything. Sure the lag helped me but when I was playing everything just went perfect.

DM-Compressed: I shot shock ball to combo a guy then someone came out in front of me so I railed him killing him then the shock ball hit the other guy so I got double kill.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
TWD said:
It's best when it's hard.....I think rev decided to stop holding back. It was really hard....It was fun because it was hard.....I just need to be pushed hard enough long enough to take me there.

:con:

What were YOU playing?!?

;)