Facebook buys Oculus for $2 Billion

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
The bit I don't get is that Zuckerberg didn't know what it was until very recently. Hopefully it will follow the WhatsApp deal and it will be just part of the group on companies.

Guess we as gamers wait for the next competitor to come along.

How long before FB has retinal scans from all of us??

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
This really sucks. I can only hope that Oculus gets to stay mostly independent. One thing to keep in mind, is that Oculus has an entirely different business model. They plan to sell a real product with value, and they are going publish and develop games as well. The revenue stream is entirely different, from what Facebook actually is, that is, monetization and ad revenue.

With the money from Facebook, Oculus can develop an even better HMD, and also sell it at a lower price. That is awesome.
That said, Facebook's business ideals are pretty much the inverse of Oculus. This all really came as a surprise, and I do remain optimistic, but I also have absolutely no idea how things will turn out.
This is a great opportunity for Zuckerberg to improve his image, since everybody is just assuming he will completely ruin everything about Oculus. If he doesn't, we will all like him better.

nawrot

Jan 23, 2008
One does not pay 2 bilions to let company stay independent.
At best we get fb version of steam/origin where you need to have account to use OC.
Or something like their fb phone with fb ads but vr version.

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
The new design's pretty stylish at least.

Facehugger.jpg

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
WhatsApp is too recent to know where it's going, so I wouldn't say "hopefully they will follow that model". What model will that be in a year, two years, etc?

This is pretty tragic news. I no longer have any interest in the Oculus Rift at all. Next!

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
With the money from Facebook, Oculus can develop an even better HMD, and also sell it at a lower price. That is awesome.
This is what I saw as the true positive side of the purchase. But, what worries me is what Facebook plans to do with the product. Is Facebook trying to get further into gaming outside stupid browser games? How much does this actually change the possibility of getting the headset everyone wanted? What does Facebook even want with a VR headset?

Also, who would have thought three years ago that John Carmack would end up working for Facebook.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Zuckerberg really has nothing to gain from pissing off potential customers. If Oculus can solve the controller problem and make a great open headset, they have the potential of selling millions of units. Screwing over customers won't really do the sales any good.

I really do remain optimistic. Zuckerberg isn't dumb.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
"Not one hour after the announcement of the the acquisition of Oculus Rift by Facebook yesterday, Markus 'Notch' Persson has announced that he has ceased all discussions about bringing it to Oculus Rift. 'I don't want to work with social, I want to work with games. ... Facebook is not a company of grass-roots tech enthusiasts. Facebook is not a game tech company. Facebook has a history of caring about building user numbers, and nothing but building user numbers. People have made games for Facebook platforms before, and while it worked great for a while, they were stuck in a very unfortunate position when Facebook eventually changed the platform to better fit the social experience they were trying to build.' Persson has stated that he made this decision despite initially investing $10,000 in Oculus' Kickstarter."

http://games.slashdot.org/story/14/...sion-following-facebook-acquisition?sdsrc=rel

The news that Facebook will acquire Oculus VR for $2 billion in a combined cash/stock deal has, understandably, taken over the internet. Everyone on Twitter is posting reactions—some are excited, many are shocked, and almost everyone is surprised. Mojang's Markus "Notch" Persson has weighed in on the news by canceling talks for an upcoming, official version of Minecraft for the Oculus Rift.

"We were in talks about maybe bringing a version of Minecraft to Oculus," Persson tweeted shortly after the announcement on Tuesday. "I just cancelled that deal. Facebook creeps me out."

A Minecraft port for the Rift would have been a huge addition to the headset's launch lineup. We wonder if other indie developers will shy away from VR support due to similar feelings about Facebook.

Emphasis added.

http://www.pcgamer.com/au/2014/03/2...raft-oculus-rift-deal-facebook-creeps-me-out/

I like Notch''s style (and his game) and I tend to agree with him on all points.....

The new design's pretty stylish at least.

Facehugger.jpg

:lol::lol:

Yes; but now I wouldn't buy an OR headset under any circumstances; and I was going to before FB got it's greedy paws on it.

Last edited:

igNiTion

here
Apr 9, 2004
South Carolina
Good for Notch. There is absolutely nothing petty about standing up for something he believes in. Facebook is an incredibly creepy and invasive company.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Good for Notch. There is absolutely nothing petty about standing up for something he believes in. Facebook is an incredibly creepy and invasive company.

Except there's nothing to even stand up against right now. We have no idea what Facebook intends to do with Oculus, so he really is jumping the gun on this and acting rather like a nincompoop.

Last edited: