F--king pirates!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
Mr. Apocalypse said:
You could just get a cracked CD key yourself?

Then I'd be a hypocrite for complaining about a pirate stealing my CD key while at the same time potentially stealing someone else's.

-Keiichi

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
I pay for games because I enjoy playing them. I pay for games because they cost money to make. I pay for games because the companies that distribute them are people'd entirely by dead-eyed soulless graysuited-whores.

If I don't pay for the games the aforementioned bean-counters will not fund further work from the dev team that made them. If I don't pay for games I will be encouraging companies like EA to build in ever more draconian anti-piracy measures that steal CPU run-time. If I don't pay for games that makes me a thief, which I have a problem with (call me old fashioned...)

Where exactly did I say that?

You said you prefered it if games came with no anti-piracy measures.

it's the people who actually pay for the games that get hit by copy protection

Cunt.

Last edited:

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
spm1138 you forget that many game makers are AGAINST copy protection. Sure they don't want people to steal they games, but that doesn't mean they enjoy copy protection.

Many games were "patched" to remove the copy protection (like UT, Q3 and HL to a lesser expend). The US version of Halo for PC was even released without copy protection because of a "bug". Even the Epic guys said we should always use a no-cd crack when playing UT2k3 ;)

Hell, I use a crack for every game I buy :p

Last edited:

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
spm1138 said:
I pay for games [...]
I pay for my games, too. 450€ since november last year to be a bit more specific.
spm1138 said:
You said you prefered it if games came with no anti-piracy measures.
Exactly. Just that one dosn't have anything to do with the other.
spm1138 said:
"it's the people who actually pay for the games that get hit by copy protection"
Cunt.
What? He's right. Think about it for a second.
BlAcK_PlAgUe22 said:
Tribes 2 way.
Yeah, awsome system. Exept that the login everytime took ages, if it worked at all that is and the server wasn't down. No thanks, it's crap IMHO.

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
Hadmar said:
I pay for my games, too. 450€ since november last year to be a bit more specific.

That's pretty good going. I don't think there was even two hundred quids worth of games I wanted out during that time period. I think I spent a little over a hundred and fifty quid, MMO fees included.

Exactly. Just that one dosn't have anything to do with the other.

If games have no copy protection it's even easier to pirate them.

How does being in favour of something that would encourage even more piracy have nothing to do with being in favour of more piracy?

What? He's right. Think about it for a second.

That wasn't an argument. It was a comment on what I think of him as a person. He may as well have posted that books are cheaper if you shoplift them.

Last edited:

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
it's the people who actually pay for the games that get hit by copy protection

Cunt.

Well myself I had much more problems with copy protection and CD keys with the games that I bought. Never had any problems with those I pirated. Well in fact, I think the only game I didn't have any problems with (regarding anti-piracy mesures) in all the major games I bougth was UT. Some smaller sharewares didn't have any anti-privacy issues so I didn't have problems there either. As for other... Half-Life, Quake 3, Tribes and so on, I needed actually to hack an pirate the games I bought to play them ... doesn't that seem odd to you? it is to me.

Last edited:

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
geogob said:
Well myself I had much more problems with copy protection and CD keys with the games that I bought. Never had any problems with those I pirated. Well in fact, I think the only game I didn't have any problems with (regarding anti-piracy mesures) in all the major games I bougth was UT. Some smaller sharewares didn't have any anti-privacy issues so I didn't have problems there either. As for other... Half-Life, Quake 3, Tribes and so on, I needed actually to hack an pirate the games I bought to play them ... doesn't that seem odd to you? it is to me.

It didn't happen yet with my BF1942... but I only wait to be in the same situation as Keiichi is.

It doesn't seem especially odd to me, no.

What do you expect the likes of EA and Sierra to do?

Shrug their shoulders and resign themselves to losing a hefty chunk of potential revenue to piracy?

Not going to happen.

Spier

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
spm1138 said:
That wasn't an argument. It was a comment on what I think of him as a person. He may as well have posted that books are cheaper if you shoplift them.
No, I don't think so. When you steal a solid product like a book then money is genuinly lost, when you just copy a file from a friend then nobody loose anything(assuming you weren't going to buy the product). Although I won't deny that it is theft to copy games, it is not the same as shoplifting. Idiot.

})FA|Snake

Aug 5, 2000
Visit site
No, I don't think so. When you steal a solid product like a book then money is genuinly lost, when you just copy a file from a friend then nobody loose anything(assuming you weren't going to buy the product). Although I won't deny that it is theft to copy games, it is not the same as shoplifting. Idiot

Except no, when you buy a book from a store you aren't paying the cost of binding the book, you're paying for the cost of the writer creating the story. The book, like the CD, is just a storage medium for the product which you are buying. Its like saying shoplifting a candybar is legit as long as you don't take the wrapper. And don't give me the "I wasn't gonna buy it anyway" bull****, its real easy to say that when you can get it for free

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
That's the problem these day with software... people are so fucking used to having software that works like shit or doesn't work at all that they don't even mind it anymore.

When I pay 60 $can for a game, I expect it works right out the box. And that for as long as I keep feeling like playing it. If anti-piracy becomes and issue, I say remove it. As we all know, these anti-piracy solutions are totally inefective.

When I or friends with whom i play had CD key issues with Q3, they said "sorry, there's nothing we can do about it"... well they can go fuck themself because it's not an acceptable anwser to some who paid 60 buck the day the game was released to support them and their work. True with any other games.

You can accept this if you want, but I dont. That like the anti-piracy crap they show us during movie preview here... with that set painter (I don't know if anyone of you actually saw this). Basically it's a publicity saying "Don't pirate movies, Stop piracy". Great message... but isn't it a little ironic that they show this to people who are actually paying to see the damn movie? out of topic, i know, but it shows how stupid all this anti-piracy loby really is IMHO.

Last edited:

Hadmar

Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
spm1138 said:
That's pretty good going. I don't think there was even two hundred quids worth of games I wanted out during that time period. I think I spent a little over a hundred and fifty quid, MMO fees included.
Well to be honest that's not exactly what I would normaly spend on games during such a short time period especialy considering that I don't have that much time to play. I buyed some stuff that I missed for various reasons in the last time. Max Payne 1 & 2, GTA 3 & Vice City, Tron 2.0, XIII, KotoR, Gothic 2 + Addon, Gold Games 7, Morrowind GotY, Silent Storm and Die By the Sword (... :D ).
spm1138 said:
If games have no copy protection it's even easier to pirate them.
Sure but, realy, how many people do you know that stop pirating (Arrrrr!) couse of copy protection? And how many people do you know who buy their games and are annoyed by copy protection in one way or the other?

spm1138 said:
How does being in favour of something that would encourage even more piracy have nothing to do with being in favour of more piracy?
Nonono. You said "Why do feel people shouldn't have to pay for games?" People should pay for games (and game companys should pay for beta testers instead of letting the end user take care of that but that's a different topic) but copy protection is not the right way to acomplish that.

*edit* Forgot the Arrrr! :D

Last edited:

Hadmar

Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Snake13 said:
Except no, when you buy a book from a store you aren't paying the cost of binding the book, you're paying for the cost of the writer creating the story. The book, like the CD, is just a storage medium for the product which you are buying. Its like saying shoplifting a candybar is legit as long as you don't take the wrapper. And don't give me the "I wasn't gonna buy it anyway" bull****, its real easy to say that when you can get it for free
If you want to compare a copyed game with a book you have to compare it to a book that's copyed with a xerox or scanned in. If somone copys a file there's a duplicate of it and the original owner has no loss. The only loss is a potential customer less. With a xeroxed book it would be the same. If you steal a book the shop has a real loss comparable to somone stealing a box with a game. That's not a potential loss, it's a real loss couse the shop can't sell that object anymore. A copyed game/book is not a real loss. That's why it ain't stealing couse you don't take something away from someone.

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
Sure but, realy, how many people do you know that stop pirating (Arrrrr!) couse of copy protection? And how many people do you know who buy their games and are annoyed by copy protection in one way or the other?

I don't really see how you'd gauge that without some sort of study. What I do know is that anti-piracy measures make life miserable for amateur pirates and I am gauging that by the complaining I see on message boards of games that feature deliberate bugs that kick in if you pirate them ("WHY ARE MY TEAM ALL FIVE INCHES TALL??!?!??!" being a particular favourite).

Nonono. You said "Why do feel people shouldn't have to pay for games?" People should pay for games (and game companys should pay for beta testers instead of letting the end user take care of that but that's a different topic) but copy protection is not the right way to acomplish that.

*edit* Forgot the Arrrr! :D

What about wankers like Spier who won't pay if they don't have to?

No copy protection on games makes paying for them voluntary. Some people apparently utterly lack consciences when it comes to this and simply will not pay. The inevitable end result of that system would be even higher prices for those of us who do pay.

What is more realistically going to happen is that all games companies are going to implement systems like STEAM and Microsoft's new licensing framework and you are going to have to go through tedious online activation processes to get games to work. That or something equally retarded. Which is why I am so fond of software and music pirates.

If you want to compare a copyed game with a book you have to compare it to a book that's copyed with a xerox or scanned in. If somone copys a file there's a duplicate of it and the original owner has no loss. The only loss is a potential customer less. With a xeroxed book it would be the same. If you steal a book the shop has a real loss comparable to somone stealing a box with a game. That's not a potential loss, it's a real loss couse the shop can't sell that object anymore. A copyed game/book is not a real loss. That's why it ain't stealing couse you don't take something away from someone.

It's really not that simple and that is why we have terms like "copyright" and "intellectual property".

Also to take the specific example of piracy vs. shoplifting pirating information encourages people to sell pirated information.

Since the pirated information is cheaper (or free) it becomes a competitor to the proper sold information.

Since most people are basically immoral and unprincipalled and since the risk of getting caught and charged with anything is so low it becomes a serious competitor to the proper sold information.

Obviously people "buying" (or freely acquiring) the pirated version instead of the proper version are harming the sales and value of the proper version.

Don't even start with the bit about how people that pirate software wouldn't have bought it legitimately. I find that about as convincing as the one about how free MP3s of commercially available music help sales. :D

Last edited:

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
Hadmar said:

I'll be sure to take your advice the next time I'm at Walden's. I'm sure they won't mind if I take a book off the shelf and start Xerox'ing pages. If they have a problem with it, I'll just point out that I'm not stealing anything since they can still sell the book to someone else.

Only problem is, if everyone copied books, no one would buy them.

It's theft, like it or not. You may not be stealing a physical object, but you are stealing someone's intellectual property. If I spend a year coding a program and someone manages to break into my computer and copy my code for their own personal use, they've just stolen my property. Just because it was only a copy doesn't change the fact that they took something that was mine without permission and without payment.

-Keiichi

Rostam

PSN: Rostam_
May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
spm your theory is pretty flawed. A protected cd will sell the same amount as one without protection. Only a non-protected one will mean more people actually play it.

Hadmar

Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
spm1138 said:
I don't really see how you'd gauge that without some sort of study. What I do know is that anti-piracy measures make life miserable for amateur pirates and I am gauging that by the complaining I see on message boards of games that feature deliberate bugs that kick in if you pirate them ("WHY ARE MY TEAM ALL FIVE INCHES TALL??!?!??!" being a particular favourite).
Study? No, personal experience. And how many of the people who complain about "WHY ARE MY TEAM ALL FIVE INCHES TALL??!?!??!" (sounds funny :D ) or similar in fact own legitimate copys where the copy protection dosn't realy work - either faulty or not at all so they had to crack the game to get it running at all or maybe they just don't want to have the CD in the drive while playing?

spm1138 said:
No copy protection on games makes paying for them voluntary.
And existing copy protection makes buying games less appealing. Realy, how many of the people who don't buy the games they play give a crap about copy protection anyway? Appy crack, done.

spm1138 said:
What is more realistically going to happen is that all games companies are going to implement systems like STEAM and Microsoft's new licensing framework and you are going to have to go through tedious online activation processes to get games to work.
I won't buy games that contain crap like that no mather how good they are. If noone would that problem would solve itself.

spm1138 said:
It's really not that simple and that is why we have terms like "copyright" and "intellectual property".
Nothing personal but everyone who uses the term "intellectual property" in a sentence that isn't meant to make that term look bad, should die. :D I'm not going into explaining why though.

spm1138 said:
Also to take the specific example of piracy vs. shoplifting pirating information encourages people to sell pirated information.

Since the pirated information is cheaper (or free) it becomes a competitor to the proper sold information.
You can also buy a faked Rolex. I don't realy get your point there.

spm1138 said:
Don't even start with the bit about how people that pirate software wouldn't have bought it legitimately. I find that about as convincing as the one about how free MP3s of commercially available music help sales.
See, I didn't always pay for my games. Some years ago I had a very limited ammount of money I could spend so I buyed only some highlights like Deus Ex and System Shock 2. Well "some highlights" is an understantement but I sure as hell didn't buy everything I played. The games I didn't buy I got as copy form various sources and I wouldn't have bought them even if I couldn't have got a copy from somewhere.

Keiichi said:
I'll be sure to take your advice the next time I'm at Walden's. I'm sure they won't mind if I take a book off the shelf and start Xerox'ing pages. If they have a problem with it, I'll just point out that I'm not stealing anything since they can still sell the book to someone else.
Screw your polemic keech. I didn' give any advice I merely pointet out the difference between stealing something (original owner dosn't have it anymore) and making an illegitimate copy.

})FA|Snake

Aug 5, 2000
Visit site
no, hadmar, what you pointed out was that its okay to steal from authors but not from retail stores.

and rostam if you really belive that line of bull**** you just posted you are incredibly naive

Rostam

PSN: Rostam_
May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
and rostam if you really belive that line of bull**** you just posted you are incredibly naive
How does that work?

13 year old kid: Damn, nothing on kazaa for this game. I'll just get a job and buy the game instead!

I believe the problem is with the people that warez games. No copy protection will make them disapear, nor change them.

Now tell me, how many of you have their music illegal? But that isn't stealing now, is it....

I'm sorry for the crap you have now, keiichi. But I doubt an even better copywrite protection would help.

Just for the record I have bought roughly 25 games in 2003, I'm guessing they had an average price of 40 euro's because some were real cheap. But I usually downloaded a warezed version first to play a game and see how it really feels like and then descide if it's worth the money. Too many demo's have been deceiving to me, I don't trust them anymore.