UE1 - UT Extract .psk file\s from a .u file?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

maxdamage

Unreal Series Fan for life!
Mar 2, 2012
South Africa
Is it possible to extract the .pskx\.psk file from a .u file as I would like to port a number of custom characters from UT over to UT2k4 as I don't have the skill to rig them?

Thanks

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Open psk. & pskx.files through UEViewer? https://www.gildor.org/smf/index.php?topic=1111.0

From https://forums.epicgames.com/unreal...-it-possible-to-extract-a-psk-from-a-ukx-file

You can extract the mesh content from a ukx, but not the animations or skeleton.
As for only UED viewing psks: You can also view PSK files with Deep Exploration which nativily supports this format with a built in plugin. You can even rename bones and reexport as a psk and import into unreal.

As for extracting mesh information, you just do the pawn trick. Meaning you place an xpawn script into an empty room and replace the "mesh" option in its properties to the mesh you want to extract.
You convert the xpawn into a staticmesh, then place that staticmesh into the room. Then up at the top left of ued, you export the scene in OBJ format.
Then using an app like 3dsmax or deep exploration, import the OBJ and delete the "bsp" so all thats left is is the mesh of the model. Then depending on the model you extracted you will need to weld all the vertices, then reapply smoothing groups(automatic works).
For material ids(in 3dsmax) you select some faces, and in the surface properties menu, you select a specific mat id and it will be highlighted. Then just apply the proper material per mat id.
Bind to a new biped skeleton and re-export as a psk and your all set.

I know this is an old thread, but I found a way to extract everything without doing the pawn trick. You must download a program called Umodel. By itself, the only thing that Umodel can extract from a .ukx file is the .psa (animation). In order to get this to work you must have all the files (.ukx, .usx, .utx, .uax). When I create new mutators, I crunch every one of these babies into one .u file. Once the .u file is created, I can discard all the other files. Umodel will extract everything out the .u file (.psk, .psa, .mat, .wav, .pskx, .dds, etc.) In case someone wants to know how to place all these files into the .u file, simply rename your package files to same name before you compile. ex.: myweapon.ukx, myweapon.usx, myweapon.utx, myweapon.uax . Of course your .u name will be myweapon.u. Once you compile it, all the other files gets saved inside the .u file. Hope this helps.
smile.png
Hi Flak!

This is what the extraction looks like:

fetch
Don't know if any of this helps. :rockon:

Reactions: Animus

maxdamage

Mar 2, 2012
South Africa
Thanks but none of that really helps as I would like to port a number of custom UT characters with their rigs into ut2k4 but I can just extract the mesh with utpt as umodel only loads the .u from ut99 but I can't select anything and extract like you can other\newer versions of UT and the author's email address is broken and site is dead long time ago....

[edit] Would like to port the Deus Ex characters that were port to UT99 ie. JC Denton,Anna Navarre and Gunter Herman. Would be fun to play as them in ut2k4.

maxdamage

Mar 2, 2012
South Africa
Found another Deus Ex character the Mech Commander that was ported to UT99.Tried to contact the author of the three Deus Ex characters as the JCDenton has it's help file missing and the author of the other three just has a username and no real name. Could have search for him\her online.

VendorX

Aug 2, 2010
BXL/Paris
Is it possible to extract the .pskx\.psk file from a .u file as I would like to port a number of custom characters from UT over to UT2k4 as I don't have the skill to rig them?

Thanks
Provide the file if you still need help - I can take a look.

maxdamage

Mar 2, 2012
South Africa
Provide the file if you still need help - I can take a look.
I can provide the files depending on the method? Are you on Discord? Can send the files that way or upload them to a host site and share the link? Or send me a pm or I can.

Thanks

Last edited:

VendorX

Aug 2, 2010
BXL/Paris
It's LodMesh not SkeletalMesh - basically the same as VertMesh - not possible to extract to the .pskx\.psk file format (only to .3d).

Last edited:

maxdamage

Mar 2, 2012
South Africa
It's LodMesh not SkeletalMesh - basically the same as VertMesh - not possible to extract to the .pskx\.psk file format (only to .3d).
I know that but had hoped it was possible since I cannot get hold of the original author @Mann Slaugher so I can get the .ms3d files and export the rigged characters in milkshape 3d into .psk\x format.

VendorX

Aug 2, 2010
BXL/Paris
You will need to rigg it by yourself because there is no information about skeleton.
Anyway, you can export everything from this package (classes, mesh, vertex animation).
1. download and install WOTgreal
2. choose UT in the game settings
3. go to Tools -> Advanced Exporter
4. open package and export whatever you want.

Export also classes, if you want to know how it works or how to import it back to .u

Last edited:

maxdamage

Mar 2, 2012
South Africa
You will need to rigg it by yourself because there is no information about skeleton.
Anyway, you can export everything from this package (classes, mesh, vertex animation).
1. download and install WOTgreal
2. choose UT in the game settings
3. go to Tools -> Advanced Exporter
4. open package and export whatever you want.

Export also classes, if you want to know how it works or how to import it back to .u
What is vertex animation?

Animus

bladiebladibla
Sep 24, 2004
in Manta under water
VErtex animation does not use a skeletal system so you can not swap the animation with those. Maybe you can find some meshes and then you can rig with UT rig in Milkshape or some other. MS has male and femal skeleton.

You have to bind the rig/skeleton to the mesh then ( paint weights/influence) add animation or import .psa and then export.
i dont know the exact process but something along this lines.
What is vertex animation?