EPIC: Plz give us more story in the game

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Is it a good idea?

• Total voters
Bullet10k said:
Did you know you can have both without sacrifising one or the other? :eek: :eek: :eek:

yeah but bullet, what people are saying, that while its a good idea, this game IS multiplayer!

people would prefer better gameplay, than a story, that in reality, would probably only be played 1nce,

if it is done sure, but i would rather gameplay, and releasing the game, than them keeping it for another month for the story and then releasing it..

people dont want to miss out on teh gameplay potential, and miss out of a gametype just because they got a story, they will only play one time..

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Bullet10k said:
Bump!

This game REALLY REALLY NEEDS story!

Just the caracter Info is quite enought

Oh yea , brock got killed and now he's a necris , i get it. Because the only thing that apen in the tournament is this.

GIVE ME A MOVIE is the current ask.

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
But look at Quake 4 you guys, its a competitor to UT2007, only diff is Quake 4 has got a full fledged single player storyline for you to complete, which really gives Quake 4 an advantage, atleast in IMO. Not saying Quake 4 will be better, we still have to see about that (prolly UT2007 is better since the gfx kicks a$$)! but still...U need a good storyline for some background info AT THE LEAST!

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
ahh but quake 4 had it's singleplayer and multiplayer developed by two different teams
so it's multiplayer is more or less like quake 3, it's single player is seperate
it will partially be the same genre, ut2004 could benefit from a similary fully fleged developed single player campaign thingy, with characters, fmv and all
any body see the ut2007 movie on ps3 yet, it's f#cking amazing looking!

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
I don't mind a little story, but I don't want it to be the whole point of the SP. It'll still be Botmatches in the end, though, so if they can pretty it up without killing stuff other gametypes might need, then it's all good with me.

Something like "WWF Smackdown: Just Bring it" did on the PS2 would work pretty well, I think. You'd be allowed to roam around at wherever all the competitiors are shacked up, and challenge opponents, or find teammates that way. That's been mentioned on here before, as well, and I think it's pretty cool.

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
kAoS.Xaero said:
yeah but bullet, what people are saying, that while its a good idea, this game IS multiplayer!
The game is also single-player, the single-player is not just there to prepare you for MP, its there for some fun and for people that cant play online. Single player still is an important part of UT, some of you have just forgetten because thats all that u play is MP (since u have internet). I remember sum1 from epic (cant remember who) saying that SP is really an important part and it must have a good experience (to prove its not all multiplayer focused, it is also single player focused). Its also why they provided the ECE for offline players (ex:AlienSwarm). Single-player IS an important part of UT.

Last edited:

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
(sry for the double post but this post is different)

That video shown at the ps3 conference looks sick. The one with the rocket launcher and the robot. It looks like THEY ARE ACTUALLY PUTTING MORE STORY AND PLOT! Which is really really cool dont u think?

(I really hope that video and many others like that make it in game cuz that is really awesome)

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Bullet10k said:
The game is also single-player, the single-player is not just there to prepare you for MP, its there for some fun and for people that cant play online. Single player still is an important part of UT, some of you have just forgetten because thats all that u play is MP (since u have internet). I remember sum1 from epic (cant remember who) saying that SP is really an important part and it must have a good experience (to prove its not all multiplayer focused, it is also single player focused). Its also why they provided the ECE for offline players (ex:AlienSwarm). Single-player IS an important part of UT.
Absolutely true. But where does the story fit in? I mean...when you feel like playing a few rounds, do you rather:
A. get a character that looks cool, select a few random bots and a map you like, and start fragging away
B. pick your player because you like his/her characteristics, proceed by getting a lecture on who the character's enemies are, why they will fight you and usually hate you in the same process. Then you're forced to fight one of these enemies on a map that's picked because it fits the prescribed storyline for the confrontation of character vs character.

Since you're so happy on the story, can't you at least tell us what the ps2 movie showed in regard of the story?

About that story...Should that be a "story" in the style of star wars 2 (aka: consequences of scenes that allows as much fighting/witty oneliners/eyecandy as possible) or...well, a story.

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
Taleweaver said:
B. pick your player because you like his/her characteristics, proceed by getting a lecture on who the character's enemies are, why they will fight you and usually hate you in the same process. Then you're forced to fight one of these enemies on a map that's picked because it fits the prescribed storyline for the confrontation of character vs character.

Since you're so happy on the story, can't you at least tell us what the ps2 movie showed in regard of the story?

About that story...Should that be a "story" in the style of star wars 2 (aka: consequences of scenes that allows as much fighting/witty oneliners/eyecandy as possible) or...well, a story.
I DO believe i mentioned about a cutscene between every match (prolly like this: outcome of your previous match, followed by some info, then followed by whats coming up nexT), and not what you said in B, STOP EXAGGERATING BECAUSE WHAT UR SPEAKING (in option B) IS TOTAL NONSENSE. I never SAID to put storyline in INSTANT ACTION (thats wat u just said in B). Im saying in single-player it should be like storyline SINCE YOU WILL ONLY PLAY IT ONCE (hey, u dont want to see it? Press ESC simple as that to skip, u cant go wrong with ESC).

How am i suppose to know what the hell the ps3 ut2007 movie is suppose to be????? But i know this: thats not how ur gonna be playing in game because of the camera angles, even if they just took control of the camera angles to make it look sick, why does the robot not have a gun? Is it even a playable character? That could POSSIBLY be a cutscene showing you how 1337 those robots really are. But honestly, we dont know, so dont ask me these questions.

Last edited:

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
the Robots from the ps3 demo are from the liandri robot planet uprising thingy in AR robotfactory, that the story the had thei rebellion against their masters, why would all robots need to have guns? i don't the quake 4 robot army thingy looks cooler, but that the story in anyway!

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Think the problem with story in ut2kx comes from the fact that ut99 was built on a game that already had a developed story unreal 1, where as ut2kx was just built from scratch as MP and this aspect wasn't considered enough,

remebering that story doesn't need to be told exclusively with clips, it can be told in how maps, locations, weapons and character are designed, how there voice packs sound, waht the charaters say,the background of characters and their motivations, the reasons why something as barbaric as the tournament exists. stuff like that!

Half life for example has only one clip, and its at the end, most the other stuff is just the visual look of the game,the locations, and what characters say,how they behave,
of course that single player but similar can be done for multiplayer, once its in the background and really subtle!

carmatic

Jan 31, 2004
i think the only storyline that can exist in the context of multiplayer, is something that allows the characters existence to tie in with the players existence, and their relationships with each other within the storyline has to fit into the confines of the player's purpose in-game , and the players actions must flesh out the storyline... the simplest way is to have different teams, each with their storyline, and the players are acting out the storyline by fighting the team's enemies...
another example is just like what is in the name of unreal tournament... a big tournament where people come to have fun and kill each other

_Zd_3s_

Regristered User
Anyone remember One Must Fall 2097? Now that was a good example of how you can make an interesting, tournament-based single-player experience with hardly any effort. All they did is draw some 30 characters and let them say something before each match you were fighting against them. As you fought each character again and again, they would say something different, revealing just a little bit more about them and their relationships with the other players. You could then just use your own imagination to create little 'background profiles' for each enemy.

And sometimes, just sometimes, someone would challenge you for a direct fight, because they took something personal. "You hurt my little sister, let me show you what pain really is like"-kind-of-stuff.

Very nicely done and it added sooo much to the single-player experience. :tup: I would like it done that way in the next UT, too. No huge, intriguing story, just a little bit more 'bonding' with your enemies and allies and the odd unexpected turn of events. :)

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
I really don't think a story line is going to make the UT series any more fun. It basically comes down to frag, destroy and capture.

Does anyone care about story when you are fragging online?

Story is a good selling point and may enhance single player action... but I dont think it does anything for multiplayer.