UE3 - General Emitters

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hwinther

May 3, 2010
I'm basically trying to recreate the lightning gun concept that i've seen in atleast one form in the many fps games i've played.
However I'm quite new to emitters and I can't figure out how to get the trailing emitter to follow the projectile straight, regardless of the direction it (the invisible projectile) is going.

So far I've managed to end up in these two situations when I've changed settings in the emitter object;

StartVelocityRange=(X=(Min=40,Max=40))
A) it goes straight ahead, but it seems to follow the X axis regardless of what I do.. firing in whats the Y axis on the map (I presume) means the tracer just spins off at a 90 degree angle..

B) When i permit all start velocity axises the trail goes in all directions, and mostly upwards, when i want it to go straight ahead (relative to the players gun of course)
StartVelocityRange=(X=(Min=-10.000000,Max=10.000000),Y=(Min=-10.000000,Max=10.000000),Z=(Min=2.000000,Max=25.000000))

I'm convinced I'm doing something thats obviously wrong to anyone with more UE experience.. but I cant figure out what

Heres the full emitter source:
http://dpaste.com/190416/

It's set up as a trail following a "lightningbolt" (KF flamethrower flame derivate), so its spawned with no location/direction, but the class definition and the parent class..
I'm guessing it will then copy the parents trajectory to know where its going as it seems to when I replace it with something else, so I assume its the emitter thats off..

Any ideas?