Elder Scrolls Daggerfall free!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
Bethesda put Daggerfall up on their site for free download.

It looks like you can also grab Arena.

Download page.

You'll need a DOS emulator like DOSbox to run it.
The page has directions on how to set up DOSbox to run the game.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
'tis one of the games I always wanted to play but never got hold of.
Maybe I'll get it.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
Pretty fun game so far. Made it out of the first dungeon and now am traveling to towns to see what's up with the peeps out in Daggerfall. Damn this game is huge. And complicated!

I hear you can get killed by the black plague from a rat :D

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
It's free so should be an immediate download but part of me says I can't be arsed with it.
Recently, I've been gravitating back to old style gaming since a lot of the new stuff just isn't giving me a boner so I'm downloading old games that are now free.
2D scrolling platformers etc & I even downloaded and tried out Quake again but I fear nostalgia paints games in a prettier colour to what I'm actually experiencing playing them again - it's not a pretty sight.
I seem to be in a rock and a hard place as far as finding a game that does something for me these days.

Lruce

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
Anyone have experience with DOSbox?

To run Daggerfall from DOSbox you have to do the installation and all that. Once its done you have to run a series of commands each time you want to run the game. There are 5 commands in total. Is there a way to make this an automatic process? There was an old MS exe type program.... Autoexe bat, or batch, or something. I forgot the name.

Edit: Lord almighty!! I just tried it....the controls are going to take some getting used to. It says M2 is attack, which I assume is mouse two because when I changed it to left click it said M1. Anyways M2 won't swing the sword! Argh! The first rat in the game killed me. :(

Last edited:

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
Edit: Lord almighty!! I just tried it....the controls are going to take some getting used to. It says M2 is attack, which I assume is mouse two because when I changed it to left click it said M1. Anyways M2 won't swing the sword! Argh! The first rat in the game killed me. :(

You have to keep holding down M2 and drag it in a direction to swing. It's very weird :-/

Also, crouching helps me see rats and other critters that crawl better.

Also, it took me a while how to figure out how to travel in this game :-/

God help you when you find an imp. Those damn imps.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
AHHHHHH **** THIS GAME! Its impossibly hard to get working, even with dosbox. I just cannot for the life of me to get this damn game to start up.

I have played it before though, and the best summary of Daggerfall is that this is like the rough draft to the best RPG ever, and it was never completed. Seriously awesome game, but it was plagued by a huge number of game breaking bugs, and odd design decisions that didn't make sense at the time. The game was way ahead of itself and current PC technology.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
2D scrolling platformers etc & I even downloaded and tried out Quake again but I fear nostalgia paints games in a prettier colour to what I'm actually experiencing playing them again - it's not a pretty sight.
I seem to be in a rock and a hard place as far as finding a game that does something for me these days.

Tell me about it. A while ago I fired up Quake II and ended up feeling sick because of the way the graphics are drawn on the screen. If that's the way it was back then, I've no idea how I put up with it.

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
I forgot how crappy the animation was in Quake.
Was really excited to try it again, but quickly uninstalled because of that, lol.

I can almost run through the entire game in my head anyway, so no biggie.

Quake II isn't so bad if you get some of those user made graphic packages.
________
LIVE SEX WEBSHOWS

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
Anyone have experience with DOSbox?

To run Daggerfall from DOSbox you have to do the installation and all that. Once its done you have to run a series of commands each time you want to run the game. There are 5 commands in total. Is there a way to make this an automatic process? There was an old MS exe type program.... Autoexe bat, or batch, or something. I forgot the name.

You can automate stuff in the last section of the DoxBox.conf file, I think it's called "[autoexec]", only that would be a pain in the butt if you play other Dos games :/
________
Depakote Attorneys

Last edited:

TossMonkey

brown bread?
Sep 4, 2001
Great Britain.
quakeguy.tumblr.com
Tell me about it. A while ago I fired up Quake II and ended up feeling sick because of the way the graphics are drawn on the screen. If that's the way it was back then, I've no idea how I put up with it.
Are you for real? Quake 2 is still awesome!

I forgot how crappy the animation was in Quake.
Was really excited to try it again, but quickly uninstalled because of that, lol.

I can almost run through the entire game in my head anyway, so no biggie.

Quake II isn't so bad if you get some of those user made graphic packages.
Man, even quake 1 rocks... the animation is a bit ropey but what do you expect? They animated all the frames by vertex! It wasn't until Half-life 1 we had skeletal animation!

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Are you for real? Quake 2 is still awesome!

It is. And so is Quake 1. But on a modern screen you can get motion sickness or headaches. I don't know know what causes it but it might have something to do with frame rate and how old games like that run on recent hardware.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
It is. And so is Quake 1. But on a modern screen you can get motion sickness or headaches. I don't know know what causes it but it might have something to do with frame rate and how old games like that run on recent hardware.

Quite true, i have a really old laptop that still has a bunch of Dos and Win95 era games on it, and with the hardware beeing so antiquated i don't need DosBox on that, just VDMsound, and i can play on that for houers on end if i want to.

But on my Desktop system, playing the same games will leave me feeling allmost a bit drunk after a while (i never really get motion sickness, but i guess this is a mild form of that), and my eyes will start to feel strained after perhabs 45 minutes to an houer of playing, and if i continue playing past that stage, a mild headache will start setting in.

And it's not DosBox that's to blame, i've had a few games running on the Desktop using just VDMsound and that gives the same result.

TossMonkey

brown bread?
Sep 4, 2001
Great Britain.
quakeguy.tumblr.com
I have all of them and I haven't experience any motion sickness at all. Quake 1 I usually run with winquake.exe and quake2 is set to use opengl drivers. I don't usually put the resolution too high either, it makes playing them more nostalgic.