E8400 Overclocking Attempt

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Maybe you're pushing your memory a little hard? Or they're not getting enough power for overclocking? What kind of memory is it, and what's their voltage now? It would also be good to know your other default/current voltages that you have access to.

60c doesn't sound too unusual for a 1.4v/4GHz clock with that kind of cooler. It's surely better than the stock heatsink, but it ain't exactly going to be amazing for overclocking.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Keep bumping up the the Vcore, PPL and MCH core slowly, putting emphasis on the Vcore rather than the PPL for longevity and stability. Raising the RAM timings was probably a good idea. I'd also raise the memory voltage a bit too but how far depends on how cool they stay and how well your MCH is cooled. Probably not over 2.2v for the memory.

From there it's just a matter of getting a feel for how much headroom you've gained by upping voltages. If you're experiencing instability just inch clocks down a little and voltages up a little.

Is your MCH passively or actively cooled? You're not going to get far without a fan, often replacing the default ones even. If your MCH is pretty warm to touch at stock voltages/speeds, I wouldn't recommend using much more than the CPU voltages for results. You may not get very far with just those though.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Heh, that's kind of strange. Can't help you much more though, sorry. I've only overclocked a E8x00 once and it wasn't on anything like a p45. A lot of people apparently abuse Vdroop to get high frequencies. Some overclockers frown upon that. I've always been too lazy to read up and fully understand it anyways.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
If you're serious about overclocking that CPU, you better get a Noctua. That's all I know. I always prepare my systems for possible overclocking, but the only thing I have ever done is try to overclock a Ti4400 once (OK a couple times, but it's been back to stock for a while now).:)