Doom 3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
_Zd_Bee_ said:
rrrriiiiiight :D ;)
hey, just saw news on tv, they busted on of your fellow dutchies here at one of our airports with 6.2 kg cocaine! If you sit in a glasshouse you shouldnt throw stones :D

novak

Oct 22, 2003
Visit site
It's not like we're buying new hardware just for this game. People do other things with their computers, too, you know.

I upgrade my main box once a year and usually spend around 300-400€ which isn't too bad. Compared to what I spend on some of my other hobbies, that's pocket change.

Indeed. And if the tools aren't officially released by id/Activision/whomever, just like Doom I and II, people will figure out the specs and such to bring their own content creation programs to the web. I'll devour every last scrap of the mission in this game until I know it like Desolation. And then when the fan-base community releases missions and such for this game, we'll have more to play with.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
kavoN said:
It's not like we're buying new hardware just for this game. People do other things with their computers, too, you know.

I upgrade my main box once a year and usually spend around 300-400€ which isn't too bad. Compared to what I spend on some of my other hobbies, that's pocket change.

there's a batch of new programs who dont run smoothly when I run them simultaneously. Been tinkering with an upgrade for 1 or 3 months, doom3's liek the last drip of water to convey me ;)

Romulan

Holding on
Jun 4, 2004
home.fuse.net
phillys said:
To be honest, I've never played the whole of the DOOM game. I've only played the demo, thinking it was the full game

Knee Deep in the Dead was probably the best episode, IMO. The other two were good, but Sandy Peterson's texturing sometimes left a lot to be desired, which is why I think the console versions of episode two and three are much better. Still, the theme for each episode was quite consistent.

NeoNite said:
the tower of bable

Babel, hehe. I find it kind of funny that there are about a thousand rockets on the level plus a launcher to fire them, but that is probably the worst weapon to use on the Cyberdemon.

Yeah, rockets are not that great for a cyber-demon, however a shotgun would've been enough if you were good enough at the game. Lost Souls were bad with the rocket launcher. One misfire and a lost soul flying right for you at the right instant meant you had to restart the level. Ugh.

TomWithTheWeather

Die Paper Robots!
May 8, 2001
Dallas TX
tomwiththeweather.blogspot.com
Sir_Brizz said:
First, the Unreal Engine has never been rebuilt from scratch since 1994. Even UnrealEngine 3 is based on the same engine as Unreal Engine 1.

And all the UT games have to do with each other. They are all based upon a Tournament that was started back in the beginning of UT1.

I don't know for sure, but from what I understand, UE3 was built from the ground up. It uses a lot of the same ideas and features of the previous engines but it has been completely rewritten, which is always so much easier and cleaner than just updating old code. Just think of everything Epic has learned from Unreal1 through UT2k4. I'm sure there were a billion things they wanted to do better since Unreal1 and now with UE3 being rewritten from scratch, it's possible. :)

I think it goes like this: Unreal 1 is the first version. UT is same but with a few updates and tweaks. UT2k3 version engine is basically the same Unreal1/UT engine with a lot of heavy modification and added features such as terrain and static meshes. UT2k4 is UT2k3's engine with mostly a lot of small "under the hood" engine tweaks and enhancements but hardly any new, innovative, obvious features. UE3 is none of the above but borrows from all of the above therefore it is very similar in appearence and functionality while being a completely new, clean body of code. :)

Last edited:

Predcaliber

One Day I'l Beat Lauke
Jun 17, 2003
The Netherlands
www.predcaliber.com
THUGLIFE said:
but predcaliber i have a suggestion, maybe it would be better if you
should apologize to balton&bobothepenguin and everything should be allright again i hope ;)

did that
|__>PrEdC/\LiBeR<__| said:
and if, if there was something that I insulted peepz with, I am terrible sorry for that, trust me :)

_Zd_Bee_ said:
I wonder if u keep ur mouth now :eek: ;)

A Promise is a Promise :tup:

U still haven't answered my question, how much would u pay for a game like Doom? And copying happens with all the games, from all the priceranges.

I always tought that the half of the price should be ok, around $25/30.
it might be too high for some peepz, but it would be a good start
:)

But here is a point:
I am not taking my opinion back that $50 is too much money, but I can understand that that they are asking for it, because it is such a hard job to create a game like doom3.

Than, what I find really annoying, are the audio cd's, $25

As I saw you were from Amsterdam, you might have noticed Boris, the winner from Idols NL ;)

he made a cd in 3 weeks! and in the stores they just sell it for $25.

but those girls are going to buy it, and are willingly to pay the full price for it :con: :stick:

Bean 3:16

Apr 27, 2000
Visit site
From the link name, I assume that is the video from Pulse...and it was glorious. I think I might have made a Howard Dean scream while watching the footage. It will be glorious!

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
|__>PrEdC/\LiBeR<__| said:
But here is a point:
I am not taking my opinion back that $50 is too much money, but I can understand that that they are asking for it, because it is such a hard job to create a game like doom3.
It's alot of money I agree, but it well worth it if u play the game for a while :)

As I saw you were from Amsterdam, you might have noticed Boris, the winner from Idols NL ;)
he made a cd in 3 weeks! and in the stores they just sell it for $25.
but those girls are going to buy it, and are willingly to pay the full price for it :con: :stick:
Crap like that should go straight to the budgetbin, 10 euro is too much even.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
{CoD}Vyruss said:
Yeah, rockets are not that great for a cyber-demon, .

Eh, it works fine for me.
Killing cybie with rockets is fun.

Nothing beats a rocket duel.
Constant adrenaline while you're circle strafing. One hit from big guy, and you're (nearly) death.

Heck, I've seen someone beat the cyberdemon with fists.
On level 32. Took him fifteen minutes. No berserk mode.

If you can manage being that patient, well... :tup: I guess.

Romulan

Holding on
Jun 4, 2004
home.fuse.net
NeoNite said:
Eh, it works fine for me.
Killing cybie with rockets is fun.

It is of course possible to do. The problem is the cyberdemon does not take splash damage, so it takes a long time to kill him with rockets.

I had never seen that vid before, ShadowKi][er. It was pretty cool seeing all the weapons. For some reason it kind of bugs me that Final Doom never seems to be acknowledged by Id.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
A long time?
It takes a long time killing it with the pistol,for example.
But rockets well.. maybe sliiiightly longer than with supershotgun.
Heck, guess I'm a patient person.

Jul 22, 2000
The video I linked is from G4/TechTV. Rewatched the video... Damn. I'm playing this thing on the hardest difficulty available straight from the start. To think that I actually doubted Id's ability to make a decent game in this day and age. :lol:

The engine is screaming "IRRATIONAL GAMES MAKE FRIGGIN SYSTEM SHOCK 3"