Does Bulletstorm PC Use GFWL?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
TBH I don't have any problems with it. Sure, it is sometimes down, but that doesn't stop you from playing offline. Besides, they have been doing a terrific job of running Unreal master servers.

Not having a problem, and beeing happy are not the same thing, did the Gamespy integration add an value to UT3 for you? was it made a better game by it's inclusion you think? did it put a great big smile on your face in some way? i'm guessing no, you just didn't have a problem with it.

I had two problems with it hower:

1) It's Gamespy, a company who's buisness practices i dispise and i really didn't want to deal with thouse jerks again..

2) Their bloody service kept forgetting/resetting my password, so i coulden't log in to my damned account half the times i tried before having it reset and submitting a new PW, which was a pain in the arse.

The same is true of GFWL, will it's inclusion make your gameing experiance better in any way shape or form you think? or is it just "not a problem"?

I'm guessing the latter, but it is a problem to others who won't buy the game as a result (and who will therefor not be boosting the server counts), but then what will it have accomplished? if it hasen't enriched anyone's game, but only driven some of the potential fanbase away, then how is it doing anything good?

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Yeah, driving away part of the potential fanbase on word of mouth alone. In this regard, the app could be without major issues and could enhance the gaming experience to some extent, but yet you could have a vocal enough contingent of users hellbent against using the software because they simply do not like it or the company that created it.

Honestly, I have to wonder how many of you complaining about GFWL have actually used it or experienced the problems you claim exist and are merely passing on what you have heard from others making these claims.

I honestly do not know enough about GFWL do judge whether I should or should not purchase a GFWL game, but if all I hear is negative stuff, then no, I most likely will not buy the game, even though the game may in fact not suffer form the GFWL software. So, yeah, in that regard, I could be passing up a great game just because I listened to some dude on the internet.

Last edited:

Elude

Apr 17, 2010
Yeah, driving away part of the potential fanbase on word of mouth alone. In this regard, the app could be without major issues and could enhance the gaming experience to some extent, but yet you could have a vocal enough contingent of users hellbent against using the software because they simply do not like it or the company that created it.

Honestly, I have to wonder how many of you complaining about GFWL have actually used it or experienced the problems you claim exist and are merely passing on what you have heard from others making these claims.

I honestly do not know enough about GFWL do judge whether I should or should not purchase a GFWL game, but if all I hear is negative stuff, then no, I most likely will not buy the game, even though the game may in fact not suffer form the GFWL software. So, yeah, in that regard, I could be passing up a great game just because I listened to some dude on the internet.

Oh no doubt, but this also goes both ways.

I know from my own personal experience that GFWL doesn't absolutely ruin a game, I will more then likely buy a game that has it if the game itself is good. With that said GFWL is really garbage in my mind set, and I would totally enjoy the games I play that have it more if they were without it.

I can recall several times where I've been able to connect to steam, and the internet on Dawn of War 2, but not been able to connect to windows live. On top of that my friends list is full on windows live, yea full, what kind of system says you can have too many friends! There is also no instant chat function, in order to communicate with anyone on windows live you must send private messages back and forth as if you were sending private messages on a forum. Sure you can communicate with a private chat session for microphones, but not everyone has one or use one, and why would they support more options for voice over text? This makes sense for the 360 of course but not alot of sense for PC.

Lastly windows live is slow, I'm sorry but it really is, there is no doubt, I've never seen a system as slow as this. It takes forever to download profiles and updates, the interface itself is even slow, animating its way from your friends list to your achievements, this should merely take a second or less to do but because it must look pretty in the process, it takes much longer.

In the end, yea sure I'll go through it's pain to buy a good game, but I cant say I'd enjoy having it there. However this much is true, the game would be a much better experience without it.

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
The thing is that if the game uses GFWL for multiplayer there will not be a multiplayer scene for this game on the PC, and then you're basically just buying it for the singleplayer. But if you want to play singleplayer you have to deal with all of GFWL's stupid bull****, and its not even worth it. SF4 and Dawn of War 2 were probably the only games that can get away with using.

I mean its a bad service, whatever. Bitching at Epic/People Can Fly won't accomplish anything, its not going to change. Just buy the game on PC, don't buy it, or buy it on console. Its probably not worth the headache for the PC version. Its a bummer but I knew it was going to happen so its not like I'm super disappointed.

Teridax

Fresh meat.
Nov 2, 2008
Personally, I've had fewer problems with GfWL than I've had with Steam or Impulse. It's still dumb that they're using it, though.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Haven't had much trouble with it either except when update time comes...
Everything else can update at the full speed of my connection, why the f*** must Live go to 500k/s for a bit then piddle down to 2-300k/s?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Haven't had much trouble with it either except when update time comes...
Everything else can update at the full speed of my connection, why the f*** must Live go to 500k/s for a bit then piddle down to 2-300k/s?
How can you tell how fast it's going? It shows you a Classic Microsoft Progress Bar (tm) that starts at 5% and then jumps to 70% in ten seconds and then takes 25 minutes to go the last 30%.

Elude

Apr 17, 2010
How can you tell how fast it's going? It shows you a Classic Microsoft Progress Bar (tm) that starts at 5% and then jumps to 70% in ten seconds and then takes 25 minutes to go the last 30%.

I cant imagine a profile being larger then a couple megabytes, and those take forever to download.

If they are magically somehow more then 10 meg, then it's obviously too large for its own good, no profile should be of that size.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Exactly. The patching interface in GFWL is ridiculous. Your only option is to find a top secret internet location that has the file for download. Who wants to sit INSIDE their game for three hours while a patch downloads? Whoever is running the GFWL division at Microsoft, I guess.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Batman: AA didn't even need GFWL, which is the real problem there. I didn't exactly mind it, but it also has literally no multiplayer component.

It used GFWL for add-on content. Which could've been done presumably with Impulse or Steam just as easily.

Vaginal Epiphany

Jun 11, 2010
Let us not also forget that GFWL is only even available in 35 countries in the world to date - even cutting out half of Europe. Big American companies seem to keep forgetting this.

Uh, yeah, exactly this. So far I've needed to let people gift me the games that use GFWL on steam since they're magically not available in my region.

Thank god for Steam, I guess.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It used GFWL for add-on content. Which could've been done presumably with Impulse or Steam just as easily.
Definitely. Batman was good enough that GFWL didn't matter (plus it had no MP at all). But Batman would probably be even better without GFWL.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Publishers decide which regions Steam can offer their games in. Microsoft decides what regions GFWL is available in.