Does Bulletstorm PC Use GFWL?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Look, GreatEmerald. You simply have to have some sort of protection. By playing a PC game you're, by default, inserting the media into a machine fully capable of making a copy of it by pressing a button. It'd be like publishers releasing books in a form that could only be read on a copy machine. The temptation is simply too great. No protection whatsoever is just stupid. At least a basic CD Key or one-time activation prevents cousin bob from copying the game for every one of his friends and relatives. There's simply no incentive - other than doing the right thing - to pay for the game.

On the other hand, DRM that annoys your paying customer is equally dumb. There's a difference.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
That's by following their trends, it was first during the first 8 weeks after the release, then it fell down rapidly during November and then during December it got back up to being the first. Of course, that's not numbers, but still something.

Hal, I never said that no CD key was a good idea. Of course it's not. In fact, retail customers would probably feel disappointed if there was no protection like that.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
For example, support forum/ticket subscription. I am yet to hear anyone having cracked Invision Power Board support forums.

... Seriously?

Did it ever occur to you that there's little demand for cracked forum software? Especially since there's free solutions PHPBB that do just fine for smaller groups. Contrast this to 3.5 million downloads of the CoDBlOps torrent according to TorrentFreak. Huge difference.

I think your sales analysis is flawed. We don't have numbers on Impulse or Steam so it's hard to say if anything is skyrocketing. Elemental has clearly had some "sprints" where it's sold high amounts (launch and the 1.1 patch release). That's not skyrocketing. If they can stay at #1 on Impulse for a sustained period of time then you have "skyrocketing".

Having fast acceleration isn't going to get you off the planet if your rocket only gets 20 feet off the ground :p

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I'm talking about the support forums, not the product. You could set up support forums for absolutely any other product, be it service, game or anything else, no matter the popularity, the outcome will be exactly the same.

Now you're grasping at words :p

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Game publishers don't care about support. Their idea of support is to try to get you to leave them alone as soon as possible.

With that said, your argument there is pretty weak. Why would anyone WANT to "crack" the support forums for Invision Power Board?

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Simple - you don't use the forum just for support, but also for making decisions, polls, possibly giving extra things. That way the company can get very valuable input about what their customers - real customers - want, and keep them content. That assures that the product is increasingly better, sales go up and customers are satisfied.

That's true, publishers do have a lack of interest in that kind of things, and often a lack of knowledge in those matters. However, if the company is self-publishing, then it works just fine.

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
The only way that makes sense is if you have to pay for an account in the support forum, or get a code with the game that lets you create one.

I wholeheartedly disagree. And they do too:
http://www.gog.com/en/page/tw2_preorder/

I ended up preordering that as a result, from GOG.com of course; they are the only place to get the DRM free version.

It's such a good deal, everything considered.

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
New for 2011: CPU's with built in DRM.

You can thank Intel.

Edit: This is so funny. Link : http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704723104576061821802851378.html

"A federal appeals court Tuesday restored a jury verdict that Microsoft Corp. infringed a patent related to combating software piracy, but ruled that the software giant was entitled to a new trial on damages."

"Uniloc's patent deals with technology for software registration systems that deter the copying of software. The Irvine, Calif., company filed suit against Microsoft in 2003, alleging the product activation feature on Windows XP and other Microsoft products infringed its technology. It initially sought $560 million in damages."

Microsoft can rip other companies off, so we can't rip them off. LOL

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
CPUs have had DRM crap in them for years now. You can turn them off in the BIOS.

The Witcher 2 isn't a great example. The only reason it's on GOG is because it's published by CDProjekt (aka the guys that run gog.com). I wonder how Atari feels about that?

GOG is generally a good idea because why should people care about DRM on games that are way past their selling cycle? If they sell 10 of those games, they've made a profit. You're never going to see something like that in general use on new games.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
hal said:
No protection whatsoever is just stupid.

Protection from what? After 25 years of DRM on PC games, has there been any positive effect or a DRM that worked well and didn't cause serious issues from the people that rented the game?

DRM is a delusion that only annoys your customers.

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Protection from what? After 25 years of DRM on PC games, has there been any positive effect or a DRM that worked well and didn't cause serious issues from the people that rented the game?

DRM is a delusion that only annoys your customers.

I think you meant to quote me because Turdrive didn't say "no protection whatsoever is just stupid" - I did.

I wasn't talking about DRM, but a more basic means of copy protection like CD keys. Those don't hurt anyone and it discourages casual copying.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
I wasn't talking about DRM, but a more basic means of copy protection like CD keys. Those don't hurt anyone and it discourages casual copying.

Discourages it how? It's pretty easy to write down the key on a sticky note and include it with the burned copy. This really only applies for single-player games. Most multiplayer games used to transmit the CD-Key to the master servers to verify you didn't have multiple users online at once.

I like unobtrusive things as much as the next guy but CD-Keys are just as easy to copy and are really only effective if there's a significant multiplayer/internet component in the game.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
The CD-Key is still enough though. The point is it is impossible to prevent piracy of a singleplayer game, because there will always be a crack, which can also be just as easily distributed.