Does anyone use GMAX? (Wrong forum last time)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ming the Merciless

Cold Turkey!
May 21, 2001
Planet Stone Cold Sober
Visit site
I'm sorry about posting this again, but I posted this in OT last time and got about 2 replies. Does anyone rate GMAX or is it crummy? Is it any better than UEd 2.0?
I haven't really mucked about with it yet, tho I will this weekend. I'll see what I can produce.

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
nah dxf isnt that bad, and btw you want 3dsmax 4.2 not gmax, gmax is too limited and dont alows you to work decently, and you cant just use max instead of ued, you always use ued, so the compariosn wich is better doesnt reallyt count, but in general foor all jobs max is offcourse leet

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
Originally posted by Nuclear Fuzz Grunge
Ming the Merciless,
Yeah, I saw the OT post, and wondered,...
There was a thread awhile back about Tim Sweeney announcing that GMAX wasn't supported in the new Unreal Warfare Editor.
...from ChrisToth.hu post,...
UnrealEd handles DXF brushes really badly...so you won't be able to take too much advantage of using it. You can use it for some eye candy decorational brushes/terrain or wait for the new Unreal Engine which better supports the format. (high poly,textured brushes...etc)
...and, check out this thread: Showing Examples of GMAX model and Effect after UnrealEd Import

If you manage to import a cool textured brush with the ASE converter it will look crappy when lighting is applied. I've tried to build some pipes in MAX and import them with the converter and the lighting was so ****ed up that the brush looked the same as if it weren't textured correctly.
Terrain is ok but other things...hmm not so ok. You need to use very bright lights to avoid shadows between the edges or stick to large polys which can be lit well. (Meshmaker can be very useful tho...)