Do you think ut2004 will increase # of players?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I don't think there will be a big change. I see an expansion of maybe 1,000 players in the long run. A lot of people might say it will bring players from ut1 but I really don't think it will. Anybody that still plays UT1 because they hate 2k3 is dead to me, they ain't comming back. Even if you made all the weapons the same took out dodge moves etc they'd still find a reason to hate it. They aren't comming back.

Raffi_B

Administrator
Oct 27, 2002
USA
Yes it will bring a majority of players. they read the box and see something for everyone. all the old UT stuff to lure back the UT fans, then they see vehicles, new skins, new maps, new new new new new. it will definately attract people who have never even heard of the unreal franchise before.

Doc_EDo

LEFT
Jan 10, 2002
No.
It will split the community into those that stay with ut2k3 (or leave), and those that move over to ut2k4.
Vehicles and other news won't help much since there are other games with the same stuff. Most ppl that liked ut200* bought ut2k3, and those that didnt probably wont be back.
There are HL2 and Doom3 comming out soon. Those will also reduce the numbers of ppl.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I disagree. Almost all UT2003 players will move over to 2004 except for a few misc idiots from prounreal, and a bunch of n00bs that never really played the game that much in the first place. The people that REALLY play UT2k3 will gladly move.

Doc_EDo

LEFT
Jan 10, 2002
Who knows? We'll see about that.
I play the game at least 2-3 hours every day.
I won't buy 2k4 (not if it's over 15$).
But then again, no one knows.

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
I tend to agree with Doc_EDo.

If Epic make several changes in UT2004, some people will stay with UT2003, just as people did when UT2003 was released. Some people never even tried UT2003 and some people went back from UT2003 to UT99.

I think a lot of people play UT2003 just because they bought the game and now have it. They won't by UT2004.

And as Doc also says, new games are comming out this fall.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
No because almost all of the people that play Counter-Strike will never try another game for any or all of the following reasons:
1> Their computer can barely run counter-strike (evidenced by people at the big LANs in the tournaments)
2> They aren't old enough to know any better
3> They are too dumb to play anything new
4> They are just dumb.

So you see, most people won't buy new games.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
One thing I don't understand. If UT2k4 is backward compatible, why would it matter? Won't the one's who don't buy UT2k3 be playing on the same servers as the ones on UT2k4? If so, how is that going to split the group more?

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Yeah I definatly do not think that there will be any "splits". Those that get UT2004 will play that and those that don't will play ut2003 and they still add onto that for 2004 :)

I do not however think we'll see a "dramatic" increase in players. Up to 1000 but even then I'd doubt it.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
[IsP]KaRnAgE said:
because Ut2k4 people can play on 2k3 servers, and not the other way around. Right?

I dunno, I guess it depends on your definition of "backwards compatable." Which way is frontwards?

(Of course, "backwards compatable" makes me think of the group Chris Cross (sp?) for those of you old enough to remember them. ;)

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
2k4 will bring more casual gamers i hope, 2k3 suffers a 'niche' syndrome, newstarts get broiled on any public server. I think it could also have a 'face sniper role' situation, where someone takes on a role in onslaught or so, in a vehicle or whatever and play out repetitive but fun gaming... = more people = more servers.

2k3 players will likely upgrade to get all the maps, it'll double up the map numbers, hopefully with good ones, and still be able to do everything 2k3 can and more... but there needs to be a few good reviews first.

[IsP]KaRnAgE

You Can Be My Wingman
Jul 24, 2001
The Highway to the Danger Zone
Renegade Retard said:
I dunno, I guess it depends on your definition of "backwards compatable." Which way is frontwards?

(Of course, "backwards compatable" makes me think of the group Chris Cross (sp?) for those of you old enough to remember them. ;)

Omg I can't believe you brought up kris kross LMAO! Jump! Jump! :lol:

CrazyCougar

CATatonic
Jan 5, 2001
Ottawa, Canada
I haven't gotten my money's worth from Ut2003 yet. I won't be buying Ut200x until I do get my money's worth from this game.

I will wait and see first. I think they will be in for a big surprise this time around. Bigger than last time when everyone rushed out to buy it and then stopped playing. My guess is that people will refuse to buy it until there is a viable upgrade path. This time around I don't see people in any hurry to pick it up. They hurt the franchise by releasing Ut2003. Making people pay for a new patch won't help.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
lol @ juvenile rapper duo reference

I don't think any of us know what will happen exactly, but there are lots of possibilities.

Worst case:

The game is more of the same for the existing gametypes. The new ones fail to attract new players and existing players (who even upgrade) are split among a couple more gametypes.

Best case:

UT2004 on the shelves with hot new buzzwords (like vehicles) attract new players and players who could not run UT2003 on their computers but have since upgraded and see this as a new game.

I think that UT2004 does little to attract the UT die-hard. The gameplay remains the same. However, those who moved on because they wanted a new experience may find a home with the new gametypes or may be willing to give it another go.

About UT2004 reviews... I'd expect them to be mostly good. UT2004 is going to offer a landslide of material. What is it, like 70-80 maps (factoring in '03 maps)? Two more gametypes, more mutators, more models... you can't say you won't get enough. And UT2003 got knocked in its reviews for not adding anything new and not having Assault... both of which are addressed.

DialAJunk

fl;ksisj
May 1, 2000
Denver, CO
Hmm, it seems when people use "I think" and "other people" in the same sentence (in that order, with no words imbetween :D ), they are usually referring to themselves.

Well anyway, I'm buying UT2k4 for many reasons, so that's one less player Epic will lose.

BTW, S.Brizz, your post made me giggle a bit :)

Last edited: