UT3 DM-LTC_Shipment Beta 1 (Download, Pics)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

LtClifff

Feb 26, 2008
Oh... Ok... Hmmm
I think i probably prefer the other versions fog more as well but beta's are for testing purposes which is why i thought i might try that. A new beta will be up by the end of today (march 31st) with changes to fog, unless the vast majority say they prefer it like it is now.

Also ther is anything you think i could improve please say.

LtClifff

Feb 26, 2008
Hehe sorry about double posts
Changes:
Better lighting
lessened heightfog
changed sky back to old one
a bit better bot pathing

If you notice anything wrong tell me, if by the smae time tomorrow i do not get any feeback i will update to RC1 status.

PS: Grogan hope you think the fog is better :D

Last edited:

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
Fix the image links in your original post - they all link to to the addresses they display like "http://server6.theimagehosting.com/i...ap3Pic.e87.jpg" which of course returns 404

Mclogenog

I put the lol in philology
Okay, I checked the map in the editor, and the fog is in fact layered, but it is over powered. Below I have a screen shot that I took when messing around in your map (No worry, no copying or saving, merely experimenting). The field of vision is tweaked ever so slightly, maybe too much, and the bloom is enhanced to .5 I think it was. I can't remember the specific fog degrees, but it works nicely this way. The lowest fog layer is still a bit too heavy, but I think what I meant by layering is more apparent. Ignore the desaturated super contrast, that was just me checking my guess that it would look cool.
:)

THIS IS NOT A CURRENT IMAGE OF THE PRESENT BETA TEST.
[SCREENSHOT]http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj125/Mclogenog/ResponseToLTCLIFF.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Sumerized: Overkill on the fog density

Grogan

Yes, thank you, that is much better. It's not too far off from the original beta 1 now in that respect. (Though I think I still preferred the lighting in the original, but it's not a big deal at all and hard to say).

I did manage to get a hold of the original beta 1 again, a friend of mine had downloaded it and I got him to send it to me. (note to self: never delete maps until trying out the new versions lol). So I did compare both side by side.

The new one is much improved in terms of weaponry and pickups though.

I did manage to get stuck once on a piece of wood in leaning in the far corner of the map (If you are standing with your back to the harbour, it would be the far right hand corner). I jumped and got knocked in behind it and truly was stuck until I died. I tried to get stuck again, but was able to jump out of it so I'm not sure if that's a problem or not.

Last edited:

Mclogenog

Visually speaking you have overlapping fences which causes a (hopefully) unintentional flashing. Easy Fix.

All of your spawn points face the same way, this alters flow because people typically go the direction they face. This becomes a problem when you spawn facing a wall. Make sure to fix that.

Ammunition is good, but the placement could be better in my opinion. Looking down on the map with the bay to the bottom of the screen, you will see that all weapon oriented pickups are in a line from north to south. Health pickups are more balanced. Try putting the ammo on the West and East or Left and right if you follow my orientation. This way it is equal distance between weapon/ammo pickups from almost anywhere on the map.

All of the barrels are facing the same direction, and while this may seem like a minor detail, it is important to remember that details are what make the cliche believable.

Once again, looking down with the bay and cranes at the bottom of the screen. Press "P" to turn on pathing and you will notice that there is a pinkish colored path between a spawn point and path node. This is just left of the middle of the map. Between those points are two barells that are blocking the path. Ingame I noticed a bot running against these barells. Either proscribe the paths or try reworking the path nodes. I would greatly recommend proscribing before reworking. Much easier and more effective.

LtClifff

Feb 26, 2008
Hehe i am getting a lot more help here than epicgames forums! thanks a load people.

Grogan
-the lighting is actually closer to cod4 at the moment then it was before, lookng at both of the games in windows i tried to get it as close as possible. I see that maybe i could give it better lighting with the more advanced ue3 so I will have a fool around with that.
-I'll look into the place where you got stuck and see if I can myself stuck as well.

mclogenog
-I do not think I overlapped the fences but if i have i will definately change
-Will definately alter spawn points, as that is something i just overlooked.
-I'll fiddle around with the ammunition and try your layout, to see if it works better.
-barrels are easy to alter so will do that as well
-pathing will be revised (how do you proscribe)

Could you tell me how to alter Bloom, field of vision and how to proscribe bot paths.

Mclogenog

Sure. To proscribe a path (cancel it/disable it) you select two navigation points simultaneously, simply click one and then Ctrl click the second and you have both selected. The path you wish to proscribe should be between the two navigation points/spawn points etc. These paths are visible when you press the "P" button. Now that you have the two path nodes/spawn points selected right click one of them (both should remain selected) and look for the option in the drop down menu that says "Path Options" from here you can force paths which is good for making bots take one specific path (for example, go left after going through a one way portal so that the bot won't continue trying to walk back through the one-way portal), you can also proscribe and I think you can do something else, I don't remember what it is though. Proscribe will essentially tell the bot not to use that path. Once the path is proscribed, the path should be red.

Bloom lighting, Field of Vision, Desaturation, Depth of Field, and all of that jazz can be found under the World Propertise details. It can be found under view in the top menu. Bloom and such are conscidered post processing effects, so it will be under a drop down menu under the title of post processing. Notice that the post processing menu is a little deeper in, it isn't one of the top few menus, so you will need to explore, besides, exploring this content is educational. Har har. Okay, once you reach the Bloom lighting modifier you will see a number that should (by default) be .2, enhancing this will add more of a glowing effect to light sources and weapon pickups. Depth of field is essentially what you experience when you look at something up close and the objects in the background blur and then when you look at the objects in the background and the foreground objects blur. Try using Depth of Field if you want, but really, it isn't too important, by default it is deactivated and you will need to toggle it on.

EDIT: Also, I didn't mean to say field of vision, I meant depth of field, I accidentally said FoV. FoV is part of core gameplay and can't be changed without editing some gameplay script.

Last edited:

LtClifff

Feb 26, 2008
Ok! Right! I have figured out how to alter bloom and other such effects but in a different way to you. I created a postproccessing volume and then altered that. I have also added depth of Field (only Lightly) and particle effects. I have also made a lot of the changes you mentioned. A new Beta with new PICs will be up shortly!

LtClifff

Feb 26, 2008
Helle All!!! This has been updated to Beta 5 now.
Changes include:
Less fog
added DOF (depth of field)
Changed Bloom
Added particle effects (falling leaves, waves crashing)
Added sound effects (Ocean, Traffic)
improved Bot pathing
Rotated some Barrels for more random effect
improved lighting
rotated playerstarts
moved ammopickups

ENJOY!!!

there are new pics this time!!!

Mclogenog

Visual Problems:
1. Massive intersection street light in the street. Just random.
2. Overlapping Fences still. Go along the edge and you will notice at the individual poles, the poles themselves are flashing because there are two poles in the same place.
3. If you look down with the bay at the bottom of the screen, you will see that one of the barrels up at the top is intersecting with a nearby shipping crate, this looks fake, but over all, minor detail that is only really noticable from the editor.
4. The falling leaves are cool, but they are coming down with no obvious source, maybe remove some falling leaves on one side of the map and have them on the other, it might help players recognize which side of the map they are on more easily. The important thing with immersion is subtlety and with leaves constantly streaming down I was drawn out of the game thinking, where are they coming from? One solution is to add more trees surrounding the lot.

Audio:
1. I still think the music is a little odd, but maybe that is because I'm not used to playing this map with that music. Everything else musically was detailed and interesting, the ocean/bay. Generally quite nice.

Gameplay:
1. Around the edges of the map you have your detailed piles of trash, or barrels leaning against the wall, or trash cans or whaterver, and though I haven't tried to get stuck there, I think it may be possible, so you will probably just want to cover up the general surface with a blocking volume to prevent that. It isn't a huge problem.

All around, I love the progress that this map has already had, and I enjoy the map. With the few beta tests it has (in my opinion) gone from "Shipment is a joke" to one of the best small maps I've played. The flow is good, and the action is never far away. Good Job!

Grogan

That's way better now, thanks for brightening things up. I like the moving cloud cover too.

In my opinion, foggy maps are just dull, restrict visibility and are a waste of a nice game engine and graphics.

It now looks a lot nicer than the COD 4 map :)

LtClifff

Feb 26, 2008
Grogan - Thanks! Im glad you like the visuals!

Mclogenog - Thanks for all the help you have been giving me. It has definately improved the map a load!

1. I'm guessing an intersection is when something is sticking out of something else. If so i'll go and fix.
2. I didn't know that you meant the poles before so I didn't do anything. I'll fix that now.
3. same as above
4.I think I will do a mixture, maybe put a few more trees around the arena as well as localising the leaves falling a bit more. (I wanted paper like in cod4)

1. I think I will stick with this music as do not want anything two loud or fast paced as it would ruin the atmosphere (in my mind at least)

1. I'll look into it

Again. Thanks a load for all the help you have given! I am glad you enjoy the map. I have one request though. Do you know how to add a preview for the menu? If so could i send you the un-published version to do it? I have tried multiple tutorials but I am still a bit lost in the editor.

Keep Playing :D

Mclogenog

ah, first time I said intersection I meant ROAD intersection. heh.

check out Hourences web site, to be precise: http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3preparinglevel.htm

I haven't ever actually added a menu screenshot, but that is the tutorial I will use when it is time to do so.

Mm. There is also a car leaning against a rail that is visibly not on the ground. Very minor detail.

Last edited:

LtClifff

Feb 26, 2008
Right Ok Guys! Beta 6 is being uplaoded to filefront as I type (downlaod ready)
Changes Include:
-Replaced cars in arena with destroyed scorpions
-more realistic falling leaves
-intersection things fixed
-lowered car that was hovering

Only noticable changes are the leaves and scorps but i can't think of what else to do.

Hope you guys enjoy!

Last edited:

LtClifff

Feb 26, 2008
Okay Dokay :D Will rotate trees and update to rc status! Of course will have to figure out how to add menu preview as well and then it will be done :D

LtClifff

Feb 26, 2008
Now updated to RC1 status. Changes include:

-rotaing tree's for random effect
-fixing minor bugs

Final in 3 days if nothing is found!