DM-Fautl2004

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nemezis

Marcio Nemezis Silva
Mar 18, 2004
Portugal
www.nemezis.pt.vu
Hi!
I am almost finishing my map, and I would like if some people could test it:
Here are some screenshots of it:

fautl_1.jpg

fautl_2.jpg

fautl_3.jpg

fautl_4.jpg

fautl_5.jpg

To see more screenshots, use this link:

http://nemezis.no-ip.org/pub/dm-fautl2004/agosto2005

And here are some guidelines to have in mind when playtesting the map:

- The map is a representation of my college, and as such, please remember that many architectural aspects have to be as they are, but still playable (some smaller halls, many closed doors, altought there is an empty space behind it - for eye candy only, these spaces didn't worth the effort to have them opened and with pickups)

- I'm still working on the botpaths, fog, and other details like some more static meshes, ambient sounds and so, but as it is, it could be the final map.

- Final: the zone identifiers are in Portuguese language. If I can, maybe I add an english support :D

To test the map, use the folowing links acording to your preferences:

The map pack:
Site 1 DM-Fautl2004.rar (14 MB)
Site 2 DM-Fautl2004.rar (14 MB)

OR the 3 separate files:
Maps.rar (5 MB)
Staticmeshes.rar (428 KB)
Textures.rar (8.4 MB)

(it is from my home server, only available when I left it on; if doesn't work, try later :eek: )

I hope you enjoy it; any comments are welcome, altough I would be gratefull with comments on the weapon and items placement.

[UPDATED]

Updated screenshots and new ones

Last edited:

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
how big is that thing,seems all ut04 is just too much,to be fun,not to bump my map,but for size sake go try dm-3pole2k4 ,anything bigger aint "DM" to me.

I only did that level for a friend who runs a server,it's still not my kinda map,but all these big maps are just too big.
Mabye if people set gamespeed to 150 then they might be applicable.

I don't have ut04 installed but i know i would say exactly the same thing,but it does look modern and ok.

Or is that all background and does the fighting go on inside?

Nemezis

Marcio Nemezis Silva
Mar 18, 2004
Portugal
www.nemezis.pt.vu
fighting is everywere you want :D

- close-combat inside
- open-field slaughter
- on foot, on the air, with vehicles
- sniping in the rooftops, or just normal rocket blasting

you name it :lol:

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
->->->->->->->->->->->->

Looks like it might be good for sniping.... downloading.

*Edit* Not downloading.... can't connect to your server. Later........

Last edited:

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
... i still have the UT version installed... também porque estou interessado em arquitectura :) ...

Nemezis

Marcio Nemezis Silva
Mar 18, 2004
Portugal
www.nemezis.pt.vu
Update:

I have added a link from Rapidshare, I hope it helps you downloading :D

Nahand, se gostas de arquitectura sempre podes tentar este pequeno fórum que tem alguns estudantes da faculdade, e várias secções de discussão :D

http://nc.pt.to

Last edited:

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
->->->->->->->->->->->->

Yeah, I remember this map from UT too now that I've opened it up. For anyone who's interested in architecture or modelling it was pretty good in UT for that reason mainly.

I question, if this is a port of the UT geometry, whether the scale is quite o.k. or needs to be tweaked and rebuilt.

I think it needs a sky rather than fog. Thre's so much glass in the structures you could do some things with sunlight and shadow which would liven up the look a bit. At the moment it's a bit bland. It's a shame the all that glass isn't destructible.

For gameplay it's really only good for sniping and instagib because of the scale and the layout. Manhunting is also quite o.k.

The vehicles were good for a while. Considering the scale perhaps there would be some possibilities for a VCTF, ONS or AS version instead of DM.

Speaking of vehicles, here's a wierd bug: I collided the Raptor with the flagpoles and the flag and pole was dragged skyward with the vehicle. (See attached funny .bmp's). Also the primary weapon on the leviathan seemed ineffective.

Yeah, that's about it but it could do with some sunlight or something to make it less bland............

Attachments

• Shot00000.bmp
    177.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Shot00001.bmp
    177.3 KB · Views: 36

Nemezis

Marcio Nemezis Silva
Mar 18, 2004
Portugal
www.nemezis.pt.vu
funny.. i will try to make the flags don't move away with anything coliding with it... thanks!

This version of the map is 100% built from scratch, i have only used some textures i made for the other map, but it is really a completly new map. The other one was a pain, large, boring, and flat with poor gameplay. The glasses don't break, i know, but i must leave them like this, to mantain the performance; the complexity of the map is something already, and i don't want to complicate more and more... The same applies to the fog: i used anti portal volumes, but they are not enough, unless you have an intel @ 5 Ghz with 4 GB Ram or something :D

Kyouryuu

*roar!*
Dec 17, 2003
Kirkland, Washington
kyouryuu.furvect.com
Just from the screenshots - a couple things you might want to play with:

- Look at the skydome in CTF-GrassyKnoll. It has a skydome that looks pretty similar to what you want, involving the cloud ring from the skyline-meshes-epic.usx package. See how it is set up there.
- Make it so the fog in the level matches up with the colors in the skybox. Especially in that second screenshot, there's a very light gray object in the fog that doesn't look right.

:)

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
->->->->->->->->->->->->

Nemezis said:
The glasses don't break, i know, but i must leave them like this, to mantain the performance;
I understand that I didn't really think it woud be possible on this engine; it's just there is so much glass and all those weapons....:D

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
Manticore said:
I understand that I didn't really think it woud be possible on this engine; it's just there is so much glass and all those weapons....:D

WTF no breaking glass in ut04? that seems wrong,but they probably left it out like a lot of other good stuff,wich UT offers.
pound for pound,UT is still really good,ut04 I first liked,but if people are playing bevause of looks ,ut04 aint all that great,it does do some things better though.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
ReD_Fist said:
WTF no breaking glass in ut04? that seems wrong,but they probably left it out like a lot of other good stuff,wich UT offers.
pound for pound,UT is still really good,ut04 I first liked,but if people are playing bevause of looks ,ut04 aint all that great,it does do some things better though.
It's more the amount of glass in this map than the engine spec. I think.

Nemezis

Marcio Nemezis Silva
Mar 18, 2004
Portugal
www.nemezis.pt.vu
Methinks... the fun in the map is its size, all people running for a weapon, ammo, and stuff, always getting to someplace they have never been before (yes, it seems like Star Trek \ /_ :D but in a small scale of course). I want people to explore the map and go everywhere they can, and if i could place some breakable glass, it would affect performance badly. I prefer looking to this map as an architectural exercise, like someone have said about this, and the UT 99 version.

I admit I'm getting a little bored with the restrictions of it, in an architectural way, for the game, and I'm looking forward to starting a new map, something simpler, smaller, and with faster lightning rebuilds :D:D:D

Nemezis

Marcio Nemezis Silva
Mar 18, 2004
Portugal
www.nemezis.pt.vu
CTF? :eek: nope.. DM :D

tha flag manticore have attached was a deco flag i've placed in the map, just for eye candy
(the actual building i'm recreating has some flags... sometimes :lol: )

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
L-a-a-a-a-g

I am afraid i can't test it while getting 8-13 fps. I can't tell for the item placement all because of that.

Your optimization is terrible and it should be fixed. You should make the fog closer, and do some zoning. Well, alot of zoning since there is alot of bsp all around

I just noticed that the map have tank, and raptor. The bots used it, i am kinda impressed. For the rest, the map seems very strong in architectures. There is way too much bsp, these buildings will need optimization. And as far as i think now you are in the same camp as G lecter. Since you worked too much with the bsp (using them like stastic meshes all around the level) your map gives very bad framerates.

Good job on the look though, nice texturing.

And by the way. Please put everything inside the mylevel package. I never keep maps that have separeted packages on my hd.

Last edited:

Nemezis

Marcio Nemezis Silva
Mar 18, 2004
Portugal
www.nemezis.pt.vu
those fps are strange... and i did some zones, and anti portals on the map. belive me, it was worst than it is now, it is quite optimized as it is. i know the bulldings need some optimization, but the shadows on plain static meshes like the walls would be very nag...

btw, what cpu and ram, etc, have you used to test the map? by those values, it seems an older computer to me.
i played using an AMD 64 3000+ / 512 RAM / FX 5200 128 MB with normal values, as in other Epic maps.

about the packages... its a little late for it now: near 150 static meshes, and more in textures :eek:

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I get 60-80 framerate per second in some retail epic maps, and 52-70 max in antalus

I got a good cpu. For ut2004 at least.

Nemezis

Marcio Nemezis Silva
Mar 18, 2004
Portugal
www.nemezis.pt.vu
this is bad news... if you have those fps in most maps, why do they drop like rain in my map? i have some friends and other people testing the map and they don't seem to have those values; i mean, 8 - 13 fps is very low, and the player can't play like that. I have decent fps (i don't know the exact values, but i can play with no performance problems; i will test the values asap)

if really necessary, i can try to convert many more bsp brushes to static meshes, but the thing is:

why other people with average pc's don't have the fps problem? :eek:

Nemezis

Marcio Nemezis Silva
Mar 18, 2004
Portugal
www.nemezis.pt.vu
Well, I did it. I finished the map and it is now on NC3:

DM-Fautl2004

I am sorry for those low fps, but I can't possibily please every and single one of the UT players around. Besides, I have played quite well online with a friend, and some bots, with 15 ~ 25, and in some minor cases, even 30 ~ 40 fps...

Major changes from the version in this thread:

- Distance fog with -1000 units max radius;
- New textures based on constant colors for some basic meshes, and for the skybox, to improve visual aspect and hide some graphic and weird artifacts like those on the first screenshots;
- Added more ammo in outside areas;
- Added some minor details, and pathnoding changes.

Thanks all for the comments :D

Last edited: