DM-Avghazer

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Pomperi(:K256:)

UT99Gaymer
Oct 8, 2004
Göteborg, Sweden
klan256.uni.cc
Have been working on this map for one and a half week now, and I thought that someone could be interested in my work. Here's some screens:

dmtest36yx.jpg

dmtest48la.jpg

dmtest51wt.jpg

dmtest62fa.jpg

Im far from done, but i would be nice to get some constructive critisism ;)

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
... or... not. I definitely like it like it is now, grey and barren. Finnish layout, BOT pathing, and item placement. Then place a link here to betatest it :) ...

UT99Gaymer
Oct 8, 2004
Göteborg, Sweden
klan256.uni.cc
Thnx for the feedback!

I tried to make the border-texture darker, but it lost the entire worn out/deserted feel. As for the colored light, I'll try to make a little color so the map gets some nice contrasts from all the gray stuff.

UArchitect

Mar 20, 2004
well, nahand likes bland unfinished maps, good for him....bad for the brains of the rest of us who try to figure out what he is on =P

anyway, i think the map could look good with a bit of work

your choice of light fittings is quite boring imo, same thing everywhere, same tex, same color

have some variation in the lighting fixtures, have a stronger blue coming from the sky mabey too,

obviously its unfinished, but i can see a good map behind it, just work on it more

dont release an unfinished bland map, nahand is on DRiUyGZs.... =P

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
... meh... not all times a map must have 3 different light colors, or a purple skylight cutting through grates 8p ...

Sarevok

Jun 4, 2002
Kuwait
Nahand said:
... meh... not all times a map must have 3 different light colors, or a purple skylight cutting through grates 8p ...

hasn't Hourences taught you anything, all maps must have blue-orange contrast :lol:

paranoia

I think I'm paranoid
I don't have much to say texture wise. . .I personally don't mind the boring grey maps. . .as long as they're lit well, of course. But I can't help but imagine it with a red brick texture in there. . .I think it could really work!

Um, with lighting. Like seed and uarchitect mentioned there isn't much contrast (from the screenshots you've shown) at all. And other then the stock standard (but still nice looking) orange and blue, you could always use orange and green, yellow and blue/white or go all noveux or brunel on us and use a whole host of gaudy, saturated colours just as long as everything is cohesive. Just try to make sure you have your main light colour (eg. yellow) a highlighting colour (eg icybluey sort of thing :D ) and your ambient light. And throw some gorgeous shadows in wherever you can, you can never have too many!! With the light textures, just have a different texture for each colour. . .just as long as they go together (so don't mix crypt with richrig :) )

One last thing, try and avoid having your masked textures set to such a low scale (I mean you prolly don't have all of 'em set low. . .but two of your screenies do :) ) Having too many masked textures alone can cause your map too run slower than an atrhritic (so an sp?!?) nanna, but having them set to half their scale is eekness (so i have been told. .. If I am wrong, just forget I said it, ya!!)

anyway the map still looks pretty good, it'd be interesting to see what else you do with it!

cya!

UT99Gaymer
Oct 8, 2004
Göteborg, Sweden
klan256.uni.cc
Really great tips!!

I have turned down the saturation and increased the brightness on the green/blue light comming through the celing. It looks more deadly now :p

There will also be more colored lights, perhaps red and yellow(?). I'll post more screens when im done :)

Last edited:

SeeD_already_in_use

Dizzay in teh w00ds
May 29, 2002
Close to The Edge
Perhaps stronger lights, mainly on the cubic ones on the top, would contrast better. It'd get more attention from teh eyes. Highlight yellows :p
Are the lamps' textures also unlit? If so, don't do it, let them be lit by the lights' colour.
You could use some coronas too, tho' it's not easy to make them fit on that texture. Make some experiments with them.
Ever thought of changing the skybox? Maybe it you had a sunny orange sky with a hot sunlight cast on the map it'd have better contrast.
Good luck.

UT99Gaymer
Oct 8, 2004
Göteborg, Sweden
klan256.uni.cc
Thnx Seed! I didn't really think of sunlight. I was satisfied with my green skybox, so i didn't think of that alternative. It's been a while since my last post, but i've been busy on my new BunnyTrack-map. So here are some new screenshots:

avghaz18bm.jpg

avghaz24lh.jpg

avghaz35gy.jpg

avghaz43yh.jpg

avghaz53pv.jpg

I really think the yellow light matches the gray textures and the white light alot better then that greenlight. Yellow and white looks pretty neat, thnx for that tip Paranoia =) The map looks much more fallout now. Im not really done with the new skybox yet, it looks kinda weird if you see the bottom edges of it while looking out through the barricated door ot the little window.

Hopefully i'll be done with the layout soon, so i can let you guys beta test it =P

Last edited:

SeeD_already_in_use

Dizzay in teh w00ds
May 29, 2002
Close to The Edge
A lot better. Looks like some long abandoned prison or something. The sunlight could have more defined shadows. Did u turn High Shadow Detail on on the surfaces where the sun hits, like DavidM taught us all? :p
teh link: http://www.planetunreal.com/teamvortex/outdoorlighting.jpg

Still, I think the lights could use a bit more contrast. It needs a contrast colour from all the light yellows and whites, something to pull your attention: highlights. A few well placed blue or hot orange lights could work, depends how you use it. Play with it.
Btw did you forget the coronas again? :p

Last edited:

UT99Gaymer
Oct 8, 2004
Göteborg, Sweden
klan256.uni.cc
Ok, sunlighted surfaces are now set to High Shadow Detail.

I am working on an built in boiler-room, wich will cast some nice warm red light.
Not finished with it yet though, but hopefully i'll get a nice contrast.

The coronas; I usually do these when im almost done. Dunno why :rolleyes:

I have also made this mesh (all by myself! :p) :

bulb4yk.jpg

UPDATE:

Well I fixed that boiler-room, just not sure if the lightcolor is right, feels a bit..well...wrong.
avghaz64lm.jpg

I also made this lift. Not very special.
avghaz72ba.jpg

Last edited:

UArchitect

Mar 20, 2004
keep at it, its starting to look better, remember that lighting brings out all the goodness of textures, even those which could be considered as ugly textures :>

the smaller details are starting to come along nicely, also one thing most maps lack is beleivability, whether or not a map is a "realism" map or just a stange map, beleivability plays a big part just simple things really, it gets a little confusing when youv played a million or so typical factory or industrial maps and you ask yourself..."where tare the doors...how did i get in here..there are no doors, or windows" (i know i spawned here via a funky teleporter.....but..) small details that will make it feel more like a place, and not a chunk of lights and brushes will help the map alot i think

i cant really tell you exactly what you should/shouldnt add but just keep those things in mind :)