Deus Ex 2 demo

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
"realistic" mode is NOT the hardest difficulty mode! It's just when you're looking for something "different". this mode slows you down and increase damages for you and the enemies. needless to say, it's the only mode I play ;)

edit: you can check the multiplier used by the different difficulty modes in one of the INI files

Last edited:

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
*gasp* Light at the end of a long tunnel?!?

this may be OLD news to some but i don't surf the ionstorm forums that much.

In a reply to the concerns voiced by the puplic, Warren Spector made a statement. Here are some highlights.

-----------
"Having said that, we've heard the comments about some of our UI choices on the PC side and we want to address them, whether through an updated demo or a PC game patch or both."
---------

Sweet lord they might actually "address" the horible menus?!?
oh and check this out.

-----------
"The riot prod seems to use too much ammo for the effect it has and takes a long time to knock someone out.

The balancing on this weapon is something we?re reevaluating. Real world tasers can take someone down very quickly, but that doesn?t necessarily lend itself to game balance. We tried to compromise with this weapon, in that we didn?t want it to be an instant takedown, and also wanted to give the AI time to react and get a shot off if you approached from the front. If you sneak up behind someone you can still get the drop on them."
-----------

Cold Killer

I will Kill Bill
Feb 24, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
DEFkon said:
I've found if you play on the hardest difficulty level (ironically called "realistic") damage from weapons are beefed up.
Why's that ironic?...
Freon said:
"realistic" mode is NOT the hardest difficulty mode! It's just when you're looking for something "different". this mode slows you down and increase damages for you and the enemies. needless to say, it's the only mode I play ;)

edit: you can check the multiplier used by the different difficulty modes in one of the INI files
Well, it certainly SEEMED like the hardest on the first one... enemies could see you from across the friggen level and the damage done to you by firearms seemed to be the greatest of the four difficulties...

Oh and f*cking sweet about them addressing the **** quality issues:D

BobTheFearlessFish

Jun 2, 2000
Nottingham, England
i havent played the demo yet. i dont really want to download it on my 56k. but what does come to my attention is this:

if all those features mentioned in the petition are true. and it is also true that the game is like that because of a console release. then the game rreally isnt suitable for a console. it seems that some of the things that made deus ex so immersive are gone. and thus it faces the risk of becoming 'generic shooter #276326'. so if the design team were 'forced' to make these changes so the game could be played on xbox. they would have been better off deciding not to release for xbox at all.

anyway. i will have a more qualified view once i have played the demo or full game.

OICW

Reason & Logic > Religion
I play consoles and PC games, but I think that Ion Storm definitely went about the wrong way if they wanted to "streamline" (more like "dumbing down and instuling everyone with an IQ above 50") the game for Xbox. I mean, many console games have inventory management, leaning, different ammo types and so on and have them implemented very well for a gamepad.

Could Deus Ex be played on a gamepad? If done well, I believe so, if done poorly, no. I've played games on PC with the worst controls imaginable, since the developers didn't test them properly or for whatever reason.

Hell, the PS2 and Xbox support USB keyboards (not entirely sure about the Xbox), so Ion Storm could have offered support for it in the console version, or even make it mandatory, although the latter would have sparked some bitching from some Xbox owners. Meh, it'd be preferable to do that rather than alienate both groups IMO.

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
Microsoft just released/is releasing a keyboard for the Xbox.

Gamespy reviewed DX2. 4/5. Complaints were the game's length, system requirements and the dumbing down of the interface and gameplay (which the reviewer didn't mind because the core gameplay of DX1 was still there).

Cold Killer

I will Kill Bill
Feb 24, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
FeelTheUniverseXXX said:
Microsoft just released/is releasing a keyboard for the Xbox.

Gamespy reviewed DX2. 4/5. Complaints were the game's length, system requirements and the dumbing down of the interface and gameplay (which the reviewer didn't mind because the core gameplay of DX1 was still there).
How the **** can they review a game that isn't yet released and by the looks of things will be delayed for quite some time?

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
Cold Killer said:
How the **** can they review a game that isn't yet released and by the looks of things will be delayed for quite some time?

The game's gone gold, being pressed and is set to arrive on shelves on the 7th, So it's not probably not going to be delayed. Since only the PC version really needs to be "updated", they'll probably opt to fix it via a patch. So far as gamespy being able to review an unreleased product: It happens all the time, it's called a preview. Generaly magazines, and similar "reviewing" organizations get sent a copy of the full game a few weeks ahead of the public release so that they can write up impressions... and if your really lucky then you know someone that knows someone that knows someone that knows someone that works at such places and is able to let you "preview" the game. ;)

Cold Killer

I will Kill Bill
Feb 24, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
DEFkon said:
The game's gone gold, being pressed and is set to arrive on shelves on the 7th, So it's not probably not going to be delayed. Since only the PC version really needs to be "updated", they'll probably opt to fix it via a patch. So far as gamespy being able to review an unreleased product: It happens all the time, it's called a preview. Generaly magazines, and similar "reviewing" organizations get sent a copy of the full game a few weeks ahead of the public release so that they can write up impressions... and if your really lucky then you know someone that knows someone that knows someone that knows someone that works at such places and is able to let you "preview" the game. ;)
IGN's previews don't have scores... is it different on gamespy?

I see your point about the CD though...

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
dude, that's not a preview as in "getting our hand on the unfinished product" (which can't be scored), but a "pre review" as in "we got the full game before you poor bastards, and we get paid for that!" :D

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Unfinished games are rated in professional (as in magazines) reviews all the time. They test versions that are close to the finished product and have only some minor issues and nessesary tweaks left before they go gold. In other words, they test versions that are so close to the finished product that it's save to assume that the finished game gets the same score they gave the test version.

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
It wouldn't be the first time there were new issues just before it went gold ... like a certain mod we all know about ;)

// ---
Look at the new DX2-poster I've found :
redpack.jpg

*ouch* ;)

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
Sad thing is it really does seem true.

I just reinstalled and played through the training course for DX1 (original release, non-patched ect) and the difference is night and day. DX one by todays standards still "looks" good, much sharper and cleaner than it's sequel.

The menu's the inventory, the user interface in general just feels 100X better. I really hate to say it, but DX2 may as well be called Dai Katana 2. It needs a whole over haul to even come close to it's original.

The truely sad thing is that if Ion Storm had simply upgraded the graphics to the original, and focused strictly on story, level design, NPC's, and just in general adding more content they probably would've set a new bench mark for the genere.

Unfortunatly the game is a huge step backwards, in so many ways that it feels fundamentally flawed.

Farouk

Adept
Oct 19, 2000
Germany
Yes, he has point (It's not the number of shots thouh, it's the overall taken damage that's turning a guard hostile).
But a completely realistic AI wouldn't be much fun. You probably hadn't a fair chance if the SSC guards were pulling SWAT team tactics with perferct coordination and communication, while Saks reprograms the hacked security system.

I've read in earlier interviews that Ion Storm wanted to make a "stupid" AI, one being able to play cat and mouse with. But Deus Ex probably wasn't the best choice for that design goal.

I actually like the demo very much now, although it was a huge disappointment at first. The more I play it, the better it gets.
The interface still sucks though. I can live with the simplified, "arcady" gameplay descisions, but the control scheme smells like a bad port from a console game. (Having to use the Enter key while hacking for example.)

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
Reviews are up, and it seems that poster hits it dead on. One ammo type and no reloads for all weapons? I hope they are energy weapons. It does seem to take many things out from the original, only adding newer graphics really. I guess the sound is good, but I really don't care. At this point I would have prefered a sequal on the Unreal engine with the same gameplay and depth of the original. Graphics are held far too high today, especially since hardly anybody can reap the benefits of awsome graphics unless they have a PC that came out tomorrow.