David M Is Back... With Bob

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Unreal Tournament fans will no doubt remember playing a map or two from David Münnich. He returns with an interesting singleplayer UT (also requires Operation Na Pali) experience simply titled "Bob - Everybody needs a friend!"

This map is different from all previous Singleplayer maps for Unreal, because it focuses on solving little puzzles, finding things, maneuvering yourself to certain places with acrobatic skills. When you think you are stuck, don't give up. There is a way!

This is mostly a little nostalgic trip for me, because I haven't made an Unreal Tournament map for 8 years. Looking at all the old maps and seeing, that there are still people playing the old stuff, I felt motivated to do this.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Yeah, know about this. Talked with him even about the map when he had it with testing phase and told him of a bug too.
Although the map has no enemies (understandable given the fact that some of the stuff require you to have certain health on etc) and is short. It could have been harder, maybe with some custom scripting. But still is a nice map. Still, the Zora's Unreal maps are probably the hardest bunch around, both in fighting and in solving puzzles (with custom scripts). Although these are bit too hard and are n00b barrier maps in coop, usually if someone runs them they are stuck in the server for while until some l33t person doesn't come by and solve the puzzles.

DavidM

Designer
Oct 28, 1999
www.muenni.ch
Thanks for the warm welcome.
I'm surprised my old forum account still works!

I wonder why David never made stuff for 2k3/4 or UE 3? He could have made some sick maps!
Mostly because I didn't like the games themselves. But also because the shooter genre generally was just "done" for me, so I had no more interest. The last shooter I really played was in fact UT99. I tried some others, but it was just the same with more visual details, that serve no purpose in a way that they would make the game more enjoyable to play.
When I do and play something, it should be something that's not been there before. Unfortunately this tendency is very rare among game developers, because there is too much financial risk involved nowadays.
But I guess everybody has made the experience, that a really good and fresh concept can be addicting without all the fancy shmancy stuff that takes 90% of the time and money to make. But you cannot buy good ideas.... instead they make crysis 2 (etc)... so palms that break physically correct and fancy shader effects will have to do the job, instead of a good idea. :)

Cursed_Soul

Now known as Luos_83
Jan 13, 2001
dordrecht
www.vladderbeest.com
Hey Dave,
Strangely a few days ago remembered a conversation with you on icq from way way back.
I can even remember you b0rked up an euro and pushed a 20 eurocents coin into it.

good to know you are alive and well!

cheers m8!
will check it out asap.

Bersy

Apr 7, 2008
Sweden
When I do and play something, it should be something that's not been there before. Unfortunately this tendency is very rare among game developers, because there is too much financial risk involved nowadays.
But I guess everybody has made the experience, that a really good and fresh concept can be addicting without all the fancy shmancy stuff that takes 90% of the time and money to make. But you cannot buy good ideas.... instead they make crysis 2 (etc)... so palms that break physically correct and fancy shader effects will have to do the job, instead of a good idea. :)

One of the smarter things I've heard around here in a while.. :tup:

Last edited: