CTF-Coret1999AD Released

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Alan 'Talisman' Willard's classic UT map CTF-CoretFacility won the hearts of players as they fired up the Unreal Tournament demo for the first time. It is one of those rare maps that continued to do so throughout the reign of UT.

Dave (Sir_Dave) van Lienen wanted to bring that authentic "Coret" feel to UT2003. We've seen lots of custom embelished versions of Coret for UT2003, but this map aims to take a different route, prefering to stay as close to the original as possible. Indeed, if you look through the dozens of comparison shots, you'll see that the goal was probably met.

You can pick up the 6.15 MB map right here (scroll to bottom of page).

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
boo, a nice not tasty map. Can you say BRUSH IMPORT?

IF YOU WANT UT PLAY UT. anyone could have done this in about an hour, so why does this make the news?

This guy doesnt even have the right to slap his name and logo on it, since he did absolutely nothing. at the very least some effort could have been made to smooth out those blocky edges and pillars by some clever meshwork. A good remake or conversion doesnt mean going File-> Import. :tdown:

I dont believe a word about hte mapper saying he took a year to make it, because anyone can achieve the same result with a t3d import.

Last edited:
D

DetonatorOrgun

Omg

Now this is something I haven't seen in a long long time.

A very well re-make of probably the best CTF map ever. I'v seen all of those remakes of Coret but this is something else. I still have the old UT and did some comparison myself and wow, even the panning of the textures are the same (eek).

All is made exactly true to the original, and the mappers know there stuff cause I went in a bit deeper and bumped into some great mapping details that most mappers forget. This was definitely not a copy paste map, cause the BSPs were not the same scale, and the textures were stretched to look exactly the same as in the original (eek at the time this must have taken them).

I don't get it that peeps try to flame at creators, I think they'r just... (hmm, what's that word again).
I can only say that people that try to recreate an old map for another game, should be given a big tap on the shoulder. Even when it's not exactly what it should be, it's still worth a tap on the shoulder, cause without those mappers all our great memory’s wouldn't be brought back to life.

Towards The DBoZ Team
Great job in giving the older community something they missed and a good map for the newer community to start with. Hope to see more of you.

(btw: nice work on the long intro story of the map, am a Sci-Fi fan as well)

Greets,
DetonatorOrgun

Yakomo

Darn i need to contact Gravis
May 29, 2003
www.xs2games.com
SirTahngarth said:
boo, a nice not tasty map. Can you say BRUSH IMPORT?

IF YOU WANT UT PLAY UT. anyone could have done this in about an hour, so why does this make the news?
Anyone could have done it in about an hour? rofl. nope.

SirTahngarth said:
This guy doesnt even have the right to slap his name and logo on it, since he did absolutely nothing.
The originals author name is right besides his. And he did a lot.

SirTahngarth said:
at the very least some effort could have been made to smooth out those blocky edges and pillars by some clever meshwork.
Oh yeah, clever meshwork is exactly what this map needs.

SirTahngarth said:
A good remake or conversion doesnt mean going File-> Import. :tdown:
You obviously did not even download and look at the map.

SirTahngarth said:
I dont believe a word about hte mapper saying he took a year to make it, because anyone can achieve the same result with a t3d import.
Are you really simple minded enough to dare publicly call the mapper a liar although EVERYBODY could follow the development progress for about a year now in THIS INA Community thread? omg

If you don't like the map - no problem. But judging it AND the author like this (even calling him a liar) without even looking at the map or having a couple of games to test if it really brings back the flow of the original is pathetic.

-

I encourage everyone to give the map a try before judging it. Most ppl love it. Its not a 'mapping masterpiece' and was never intended as one. Its sole purpose: To bring back the look, feel and most important the flow of one of the best CTF maps ever made WITHOUT the foul flavor that simple ports carry with them. This is not a brush import - this one has been crafted with love as a homage to the original masterpiece.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Ooooh, even the music's the same...

I had a look around this map, and I have to say that it's a pretty damn good remake. Unlike some remakes of UT maps, where they just don't feel like the old map (in terms of scale etc.). This is is damn-near spot on.

Very accurate remake :tup: But a year is a hell of a long time. Next time spend the time making origional league-usable maps :)

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
look at all the comparison shots. looks like exactly the same map. and yet the filesize is bigger. i'm not going to waste hard disk space when i still have UT with Coret installed, sorry.

coret, as is, in UT2003 looks extremely dated. you can make a map look nice without it being cluttered. graphics aren't everything, but neither is gameplay. Both play a role.

I;m not out to flame people: ".. those peeps that try to flame..." I'm out against map ripping. theres a difference between doing a conversion/remake and trying to put your name on something when you didnt do anything to/for it. its the exact same map. therefore it's not the mapper's map. And if he did spend a year on it, thats time that could have been better spent on something thoughtful and original. The last thing the community really needs is that 300th exact copy of UT deck 16, liandri, face, or coret, regardless of how good those maps are. Yeesh, if you want to remake something, put a little of your own voice into it. and you can import and convert a UT map in a very short period of time, so don't try to tell me you can't.

Last edited:

haarg

PC blowticious
Apr 24, 2002
Over there
I have to go with the 'it's crap' crowd. It looks like crap compared to most ut2003 maps, which wouldn't matter if it didn't play like crap too. It's far too cramped for UT2003's gameplay. Seems silly to spend a year trying to match the textures on a map that won't look like anything special anyway.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Well, we gave it a shot in FragBU tonight. It just doesn't work well for UT2003. The scale is so different now that everything about it seems small. Also, the xloc trajectory is different and it's much harder to squeeze it in between the window dividing the minigun hallway and sideroom exit.

F

FCE2|Dominion

It is a very good faithful remake. I like it. Even though the scale feels right, it does upset the original gameplay because the double jumps mean you can now take routes with the flag that were impossible in UT. I did a remake of Coret also (only ever beta released) and I set the scale to maintain the same gameplay (Unless you can boost dodge
icon12.gif
) but then the map feels the wrong scale. So over all this is a good compromise, good scale and slightly modified gameplay.

Oh yeah as for those that say go play UT, I haven't since the UT2003 demo' and I dont intend to go back to it, but that dosent mean I wouldn't like to play some of the maps again. They were fun before and still are now in UT2003, when done properly.

V

VorLoN

wtf?

[size=#3]LAME³[/size]

One year of work for something that looks exactly like the original?
What a waste of time and disk space...bah :shake:

Thanks to Allan Willard for his great map. :rockon:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
What is the meaning of converting an unreal tournament map to a game where it obviously won't fit in?

I'm confused here. Some claim they don't play unreal tournament any longer cause of the dated graphics, yet.. are you willing to give this level a shot? Heck, I've viewed the screenshots. This new version doesn't look that much different from the old one.
It looks dated to ut2K3 standards.
What is the bloody point recreating the old unreal tournament levels, the exact same way they look ????

:con:

->
Instead of trying to be creative, be original. Make the map fit in the ut2003/Ut2K3 universe, add some extras, use new/interesting textures etc etc etc..
But no:
PEOPLE FEAR CHANGE.

So what is left is gameplay.

One year? One whole year for one level :con: ???
And what a level...

Yakomo

Darn i need to contact Gravis
May 29, 2003
www.xs2games.com
:eek: Wow, this must be one of the most controversial map releases ever.

Well first let me thank you for the time you spent to check out the map and to give your feedback. We are stunned by the immense attention this release received and I'd like to take this opportunity to clear out a few things for those that did not read the development thread of this map.

Some ppl are disappointed that we did not improve the design and layout of the map. They suggest that we should have remade some textures to make it look fresher, put in some static meshes so the map looks more 3d and new tech, smoothed out some blocky edges and last but not least that we should have scaled the map larger to complement the new game dynamics of 2k3.

This has been thoroughly discussed in the above mentioned thread but let me point it out again: that is not what we wanted. We did NOT want to make an UT2003 interpretation or a "what the map would be like if Talisman made it today" version. There are already enough versions out there that try to deliver exactly that and the undoubtedly best one of all - Red_dwarf's Coret2k4 - is still in the making and will hopefully also be released soon. That's the one to look out for if you want those things we didn't want.

The sole purpose of THIS project was to bring back "Coret Facility" - in our opinion one of the best CTF maps ever made (by Alan 'Talisman Willard) - into UT2003 exactly the way it was. The look, the feel, the flow - even the smell! That's what we wanted to achieve and I think we succeeded in that.

Lets talk about the size. We did rescale the map and made it a bit larger. But we did this NOT to complement the different movement dynamics of UT2003 but just to make the size feel right in regards to the original. We did NOT change the map to complement UT2003's style of play but instead bring back some of UT's style of play. We think the player should adapt to the map and not the map to the player. Not this map. It may feel tight in some spots but thats how it was in the original also. You can move VERY fast through this map if you know how to jump and where. All the new moves, including the boostdodge, can and should be used to get the ultimate experience out of it.

The time. A lot of ppl find it unbelievable that it took us that long to finish it. Well, the reason is simple. We are gamers not mappers. We spend most of our time in playing the game and only a comparatively small amount in mapping. Thats it. Therefor we may not be the greatest mappers and even be able to do the amazing stuff some of the hardcore mappers out there do but it also has an advantage: we know about gameplay. And trust me, if you are willing to adept your style a little bit to this map it delivers a fast-paced and tense gameplay that you might have been missing for some time.

This map was never intended as a 'mapping masterpiece' nor did we aim towards Cliffy's Ownage award. We simply wanted to have UT's Coret back exactly the way it was and then see how the great gameplay of that map would be influenced maybe even improved by the new ways of UT2003. We are very happy with the result and the many tense and fun games we had with other clans and players since its release and the huge amount of positive feedback we received makes us think that we are not the only ones that wanted it to be THIS way.

If you don't like this version of coret just do what we did: make one yourself :)