CryEngine 3 VS. Unreal Engine 3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Unreal 3 does that, and has done for ages :p

Perhaps not optimised for loads of foliage meshes, but you'll notice CryEngine 3 isn't either. Only the large trees cast shadows.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
We've also yet to see just to what extent it can be applied to CryEngine 3 too, to be fair. The UE3 fast dynamic shadowing is pretty console friendly, so long as you don't go overboard with light sources and casting it onto various hideously complex objects. It naturally still has limits, though.

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com
Ya but there is no way you'd be able to do what crysis is doing on the UE3 at the frame rates they are getting. UE3 just isn't designed for those types of enviroments. Or I should say much less suited :p Then again I think crysis hit its worst performance issues for me when I was inside buildings for some reason which is an area Unreal would succeed at.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Indeed, this is a really bad comparison. It's even worse than comparing Unreal II with UT2004, because U2 is older and still looks better :D

AKWolf

Feb 3, 2008
SoCal
Playing Battleground and Savanna with decent hardware and "mods" is an awesome experience...alas tis another small community ...

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Armagon917: don't know about that. Both idTech 3 and 4 haven't been very successful w.r.t. licensing to 3rd parties.

idTech 4: only 1 3rd party game: Prey
idTech 3: not more than 15

Maybe idTech5 will change that.

Also the difference between Doom 3 and GoW1 is quite large. But yes, id and epic seem to alternate in engine generations. UE3 is getting mature, and the new kid on the block will be idTech5. But right now, there is no idTech5 to be licensed, and UE3 is here to be used. I don't know how well idTech5 will cater the next generation of console hardware. But by the time idTech5 is released the next generation of consoles will be in development, and so will UE4.

id tech 3, 18 actually, lol.

i see what you're saying between DOOM 3 and GoW1. there are a slew of features that GoW is using that id Tech 4 doesn't support. motion blur, HDR i think, Parallax and occlusion mapping which for us artists is the big one IMO.

i know that Unreal Engine 3 has much more under the hood than id tech 4 but if you were to look at the assets used and real world application id Tech 4 is not far behind in the terms of how Unreal Engine 2 completely sunk id Tech 3. well I guess its a matter of perspective being difficult to guage and compare the leapfrog for lack of a better term of the last generation engines.

i actually think that id Tech 5 is aimed at the current generation consoles as it was up and running on both PS3 and 360. id Software has huge development cycles that compete with Blizzard so who knows when the tech will be available. but the reason i am specualting id Tech 5 will become the dominant tech to develope with is mainly because of id Software's behavior on this as well as some of the tools i've seen. in the past id has mainly completed their games and licensing was treated like an afterthought almost. id Tech 4 is a great example of this. obviously an engine made for close quarters high detail environments like DOOM 3 for its time.

the difference is that this is the first time id has come out and shown tools when they first showcased their engine. i can not recall any other time. so they are really marketing this as something they want to license as opposed to near exclusive focus on their own projects. features such as being able to work on a level over a network and have another artist is working in another area and having that show up in realtime allows for really efficient workflow along with other tools i mentioned before. as an artist it appeals more to me. all speculation though how this will turn out.

i think that these engines will be very close with certain strengths to one or the other. i think stability and tools will determine a winner as lame a term as i find that for this, mainly because of increasing development cycles. sorry for the blog. :)