CoD 4 Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
FYI, I did mention Creek as a Noob level, because the only purpose of being there is getting raped by some cool sniper kids. I never play this level due to extreme unbalancing. Nor HQ nor Domination can make the level interesting, it can just die in peace and stay on sniper server only. So I really don't mind about the scores that's happening there. You can't go out there and get people killed without having sniping support involved. You move in - you're dead.
I don't mind it so much. Sure the Spetsnaz has a better spawn, but some competitive people (unfortunately, normally the people who think the internet is some super****ingserious business) like going SAS intentionally for the challenge. Obviously, the tunnel is almost the equivalent of trench warfare in larger servers. But, if you can get by on the ledges or around the right by the waterfall, you can get some pretty mean flaking done as a SAS. The people that score the best on Creek are almost always those who are moving.

Also, NRG, what weapons/perks etc. do you use?
I use Bandolier, Stopping Power, and Steady Aim on all my classes with a few exceptions. With my rifle I use Iron Lungs instead of steady aim. It's completely necessary when killing multiple people with a clip or waiting for people to come around corners. My other is with my hardcore class, which Stopping power is replaced with UAV jammer. Desert Eagle for all classes, except I use the M9 with the MP5 of course. Extra ammo.

I used to use the m14 or P90 (they have further sprint) with extreme conditioning for sake of being able to flank really far, really fast, but I've grown to really... really hate both of those guns. So these days I just put up with feeling fat.

I think I tried it when I got the game for the first time, and it was cheat protected or something, maybe they added it in a patch later. Or I was doing it wrong. :)
Anything lower than 65 or higher than 80 wont work in multiplayer.

Speaking of FOV, I keep 65 binded to "1" and 80 binded to "3", next to 2, which is switch weapon. I spend almost all my time at 80 though. With a higher FOV, grass and some other objects wont come in to view until you're closer. At least, compared to the distance with 65 FOV. It's great for finding people in grass and stuff way off in the distance. The problem is the higher FOV is basically the same as having less zoom, so it can still be hard to spot them. This is where the distance sitting from your screen comes in to play. :D

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
Yes, the default FOV is 65. I remember going through the config file the first day I got the game and went wtf when I saw it D:

Hay T2A, the IPs are at the bottoms of NRGs screen shots along with the names of the servers :p

Speaking of FOV, I keep 65 binded to "1" and 80 binded to "3", next to 2, which is switch weapon. I spend almost all my time at 80 though. With a higher FOV, grass and some other objects wont come in to view until you're closer. At least, compared to the distance with 65 FOV. It's great for finding people in grass and stuff way off in the distance. The problem is the higher FOV is basically the same as having less zoom, so it can still be hard to spot them. This is where the distance sitting from your screen comes in to play. :D
Oh ya :0 Well I can make some config edits and take all the grass about 5m and beyond away and I can still play online >:0

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2004
To put it into perspective, CoD4's a lot easier to be decent at than UT. Doesn't take much effort; you just have to be aware of how to go at it. CoD4 isn't about reacting like in UT -- it's about being prepared. It's different approach to the same "kill the enemies" goal. Even when sprinting and hopping around corners with an SMG, smart play will trump good reactions every time.

You also have to know the weapons, and this knowledge comes after a few rounds with each. You can't switch around willynilly and expect to transfer between them immediately. The MP5, for example, is really good for close-range hip firing, but it's terrible for aiming down the sights because its recoil is ridiculously high. You have to play to each weapon's strengths and weaknesses to get the most out of it.

Two hours a night is plenty enough to be decent at just about any game, and it's probably overkill for CoD4. It's better to play a little each night than it is to only play two or three nights a week and binge for five hours a piece. I still play (nearly) every night but only about 3-5 rounds before I feel like I need to do something else. The rank screen says I've got just under seven days of play... so 167 hours. Don't think I started playing online until late March. But, in contrast to you, I've been at level 55 a loooong time. :p

It's not so much the time you put in but what you put into the time. I could be a lot better than I am right now if I'd gotten into it competitively, but I stuck to normal mode pubs as I learned how to play and this is what I got out of it.

Well, i was into Unreal 2 XMP more so then UT which is pretty much the same thing movement and aim wise anyway. It's been about a year where i havnt dumped games because it wasn't the first game i played. I play a few hours every day of cod4, nothing else unless xmp has players so rarely. My problems with cod4 is i seem to check around for people and move on, but a second later im dead because my timing was off by 1 second. Also hard to see players sometimes, maybe it's my eyes but i cant seem to find players when they are in cover or sticking out alittle of something. Maybe i need to change my fov? using default. A better internet would help also, shaw sucks balls. I can go 9-25 but i will always refuse to believe im that bad at this game that much, i could go on a spree and i would still refuse to believe my own skill level is this bad.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2004
I don't mind it so much. Sure the Spetsnaz has a better spawn, but some competitive people (unfortunately, normally the people who think the internet is some super****ingserious business) like going SAS intentionally for the challenge. Obviously, the tunnel is almost the equivalent of trench warfare in larger servers. But, if you can get by on the ledges or around the right by the waterfall, you can get some pretty mean flaking done as a SAS. The people that score the best on Creek are almost always those who are moving.

I use Bandolier, Stopping Power, and Steady Aim on all my classes with a few exceptions. With my rifle I use Iron Lungs instead of steady aim. It's completely necessary when killing multiple people with a clip or waiting for people to come around corners. My other is with my hardcore class, which Stopping power is replaced with UAV jammer. Desert Eagle for all classes, except I use the M9 with the MP5 of course. Extra ammo.

I used to use the m14 or P90 (they have further sprint) with extreme conditioning for sake of being able to flank really far, really fast, but I've grown to really... really hate both of those guns. So these days I just put up with feeling fat.

Anything lower than 65 or higher than 80 wont work in multiplayer.

Can you demo yourself? i would love to see how you do it compared to how i do it. I'm lucky if i can break 50 kills, let alone get nearly 300 kills when everyone else has 50 kills or less. I'm still looking at wetwork in disbelief...286 kills then 50 is the next? LOL!!!!!

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
If you don't wear headphones, try it. Footsteps will suddenly stick out like a sore thumb and you should be more prepared. I don't wear them because they're generally uncomfortable, but the couple times I did I got a quite a few kills exactly as someone rounded a corner because I heard them first.

I still can't see people very well when they're camping out. CoD4, like most other games, doesn't align first person and third person views very well, so while they can be peaking out a window with a full view, all you'll see is their forehead. In RL™ you would be able to see their upper body and their gun sticking out the window, but all you get is a forehead.

Learn the maps and know where people like to camp. That's the best way to "look" for campers. This is part of being prepared instead of reacting. Additionally, you don't necessarily need to look for things that are out of place to find enemies; keep your eyes peeled for movement instead.

Again, hardcore mode is terrible for letting anyone's skill show through. You're much better off not moving, because when it only takes one shot to kill you, often the only reason you die is because you didn't check all 18 places someone could be camping that have line of sight to the corner you're about to walk around. There's no skill in that for the other guy, and you got penalized with a death for something you had no control over.

Seriously. Normal mode is the only way CoD4 should be played (though ideally it still needs some mods for balance). Normal mode requires that people actually outplay you in some way to kill you, and that makes it 10x better.

Mar 6, 2004
I used get that all the time. I guess I just played myself out of it.

Oh right, another thing i noticed is if im having a really good game...say i am 20-5 or 30-10 or something, i suddenly start to decline. End score is something like 50-35 or 47-35.

edit- i wear stereo headset with huge ear pieces.

Mar 6, 2004
If you don't wear headphones, try it. Footsteps will suddenly stick out like a sore thumb and you should be more prepared. I don't wear them because they're generally uncomfortable, but the couple times I did I got a quite a few kills exactly as someone rounded a corner because I heard them first.

I still can't see people very well when they're camping out. CoD4, like most other games, doesn't align first person and third person views very well, so while they can be peaking out a window with a full view, all you'll see is their forehead. In RL™ you would be able to see their upper body and their gun sticking out the window, but all you get is a forehead.

Learn the maps and know where people like to camp. That's the best way to "look" for campers. This is part of being prepared instead of reacting. Additionally, you don't necessarily need to look for things that are out of place to find enemies; keep your eyes peeled for movement instead.

Again, hardcore mode is terrible for letting anyone's skill show through. You're much better off not moving, because when it only takes one shot to kill you, often the only reason you die is because you didn't check all 18 places someone could be camping that have line of sight to the corner you're about to walk around. There's no skill in that for the other guy, and you got penalized with a death for something you had no control over.

Seriously. Normal mode is the only way CoD4 should be played (though ideally it still needs some mods for balance). Normal mode requires that people actually outplay you in some way to kill you, and that makes it 10x better.

Thanks, i'll try it out.

Defeat

Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
Oh right, another thing i noticed is if im having a really good game...say i am 20-5 or 30-10 or something, i suddenly start to decline. End score is something like 50-35 or 47-35.

edit- i wear stereo headset with huge ear pieces.

Don't get stuck in a rut, if you die a few times in the same place come in another route. I get this sometimes when I'm well and my overconfidence makes me less aware so I get raped.

This is part of what you have to get used to, after you play for alittle longer you should get used to looking in these places really fast so it doesn't take up as much of your time. You'll be able to look for other people easier then.

Last edited:

Nines

With Rage Alive
Oct 12, 2004
Sweden

Couldn't agree more. Too bad there are twice as many hardcore servers. :(

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I'll have to try one of those modded servers you talked about T2A.

Oh please, Claymores, noobtubes, RPGs, Lasts stand, Martyrdom, Frag X3 GTFO.

Mar 6, 2004
What's wrong with claymores? or fragsx3? i use fragx3 on all my classes, and claymores if im a sniper and camp at a spot.

played streets. 24-14, camped a few times. Next map Vacant....4-10.:mad: I hate that map so much.

Mar 6, 2004
I just huck them at the orange dots far away on UAV. I know a sweet spot for a claymore on overgrown so i will sometimes add a claymore and put it there. Usually i can get 2 kills in minutes.

Mar 6, 2004
I think i wont pub much anymore, i am starting to get bored of the same ol crap over and over and over again. Is it fine if i just scrimmed and pubbed with my clan? Was scrimming again today, it was really fun. The scrim last night where we got owned hard...that was maybe the most fun i've had in cod4. I hate getting owned and can rage but it was fun....can't believe i said that. Maybe next i should learn the maps alone, or with my clan. Kinda sux being new to competitive gaming...too used to pubbing, Or would pubbing the same amount make me improve alittle more? Like what was said...a few hours a day. Maybe when i'm not pubbing/scrimming i should look for a 2nd game to play a few more hours a day. I'm mostly at my pc if im not working or at a friends.

Last edited:

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
Yay for S&D PAM4 CB settings. It makes my game a lot more fun. The only perks available are Bandolier and Stopping Power and it disables a few weapons that are considered unbalanced (P90, Scorpion, non-bolt action snipers). But the best thing is that you can change everything else each round. It kills the need to having to make a classes for specific maps or roles, which can be a royal pain.

Defeat

Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
I'm still going with competitive settings being not as fun as it could be. The game is more like CoD2.5 because they take out half of what makes CoD4 itself :c I believe the could have treated the perks like they did the sniper in CoD2, limit them to a certain number for each team.

Last edited:

Defeat

Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
Tip: If at all possible, don't run your gun dry then reload. Try to reload with 1 or more bullets in it because the full reload has 1 more animation too it than a non-full reload, even with just 1 bullet left. Another option is to switch to your secondary and back real fast after you see your bullets fill up and the bottom corner of your screen.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Tip: If at all possible, don't run your gun dry then reload. Try to reload with 1 or more bullets in it because the full reload has 1 more animation too it than a non-full reload, even with just 1 bullet left. Another option is to switch to your secondary and back real fast after you see your bullets fill up and the bottom corner of your screen.
You can also use sprint to skip the end of the animation. The best habit is to stick to one method or the other. Then, memorize at which point in the animation the clip is full so you don't have to watch the bottom corner of the screen. It's easy with a lot of the rifles. Especially the LMGs too, because I think it's almost as soon as the chamber is closed for all of them. Saves a lot of time and works great for being in the middle of combat.