Changes in the next UT

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
JaFO said:
Why ?
It sounds like the only reason you've got is "because" or "to please the ancient fans".
Neither sounds like a good reason to feature it in a new game.
Especially since there's nothing mentioned that's being done to improve the gametype, unless they do something radical like using weaponlockers or remove all pickups.

It only takes a few days to mod back in again and there are plenty of mappers that can build the kind of CTF-maps the 'community' would want.
Epic would have to build at least 2 dozen CTF-maps if they were to have any chance of creating enough maps to please the community.

It would allow Epic to focus on those gametypes/maps they do have, which I consider to be more important than pleasing a minority that already has plenty of games to play (UT, UT2kx, Quake, etc.).
In relation to UE3, we don't know how simple/hard it's going to be to do anything at this point. Judging from past experience, it will be a little more difficult than 2kX was (judging by UT->2kX).

CTF is a staple gametype. If they remove it now, they lose a fairly consistent playerbase. In other words, don't get too antsy to see it gone until the player numbers are sub par.

Monday..

--------
Apr 3, 2005
Yes UT2006 will be a completely different game to the UT2004, look how UT99 was against UT2004? I know UT2003 was cr@p so I won't mention it again.

All we seem to be interested in is DM and CTF anyway, so what if (D)DOM and AS dissappear they weren't any good (as for ONS...well?!).

The Unreal3 engine looks great by the way and am waiting for the 2006 release (heh, whilst playing original UT,2004 it too much like Halo to be UT but the graphics are better..)

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Sir_Brizz said:
CTF is a staple gametype. If they remove it now, they lose a fairly consistent playerbase. In other words, don't get too antsy to see it gone until the player numbers are sub par.
So what if they loose players because of the removal of a 'classic' gametype ?
They've still got them in UT2kx and all the other series.
And on top of that they stand to gain a lot of *new* players with these new gametypes, provided they can get them balanced & fun to play.

I mean ... it's not as if adding Assault to UT2k4 helped to sell the game.
IMHO the introduction of Onslaught did far more for UT2k4's salesfigures in the end.

Likewise I doubt that the removal of CTF will do that much damage overall, *because* not every UT2kx/UT99-clan will switch to this new game anyway.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
JaFO said:
So what if they loose players because of the removal of a 'classic' gametype ?
They've still got them in UT2kx and all the other series.
And on top of that they stand to gain a lot of *new* players with these new gametypes, provided they can get them balanced & fun to play.

I mean ... it's not as if adding Assault to UT2k4 helped to sell the game.
IMHO the introduction of Onslaught did far more for UT2k4's salesfigures in the end.

Likewise I doubt that the removal of CTF will do that much damage overall, *because* not every UT2kx/UT99-clan will switch to this new game anyway.
It's more likely that the closer this game is to UT99, the more people are going to come from both games.

And like you said, it probably wouldn't take that long to mod in CTF, so why not have it included anyways? Plus, I would guess most Epic guys are CTF players anyways, considering how much support it is given IN GENERAL (not considering UT2k4...).

Considering that DM/TDM, CTF, and ONs are the most played gametypes of 2k4, it is not likely they are going to get rid of them. Plus, Epic has always been about additional content, so supporting one single gametype would be suicide for them, literally.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
That and if the competative community does drop their egos finally, and decide to get more organized, the having those things there, and with sanctioned rules by epic will facilitate things, and look much better for them in the long run.

Where as if somthing like that does happen, and they don't include CTF, then their game won't get played at major events, and then lose another large portion of a player base.