Calibrating flat panel display - how to?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Morpheus-2396

beyond Good and Evil
Dec 31, 2008
Niedersachsen, Germany
Hi,

Since weeks I'm trying to calibrate my monitor (Samsung PX2370, flat panel LED display) properly. At the beginning, I did it with Samsung's own program, "MagicTune". But the settings were refused by games, so I need to find another way to calibrate it. In another forum, they told me to use "Nview Tools". But I don't know, how to use it - I mean, what can I do? I click on "Calibration Screen" in the "Display Calibration" section of Nview's "Tools" section. A screen with RGB's and grayscales occurs. And then? What shall I do? On the screen, it says something like (I translated this from German): "Use your displays auto-calibrate function, if it's available" - what's that? What does this mean? And what do I have to do?

Plz help me, I'm very desperate since I'm working on display calibration since weeks...

Thx,

M-2396

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I have no idea how a game would "refuse" your hardware setting. If you set your monitor to display at a certain brightness/contrast/sharpness, etc., it will continue to display at that brightness, etc., in-game. Games may have their own particular quirks (such as assuming your display will be brighter/darker than it is), but you are almost always presented with an option adjusting that. Colors should remain at the same levels no matter the source (and they just tweak how they want it to appear). So just use your magictune or whatever and you'll be fine.

~Jason

Morpheus-2396

beyond Good and Evil
Dec 31, 2008
Niedersachsen, Germany
I have no idea how a game would "refuse" your hardware setting. If you set your monitor to display at a certain brightness/contrast/sharpness, etc., it will continue to display at that brightness, etc., in-game. Games may have their own particular quirks (such as assuming your display will be brighter/darker than it is), but you are almost always presented with an option adjusting that. Colors should remain at the same levels no matter the source (and they just tweak how they want it to appear). So just use your magictune or whatever and you'll be fine.

~Jason

Thx 4 reply,

I don't mean the monitor settings, I talk about monitor calibration - those things are different.

Calibrating your monitor is very important, because it corrects your color, brightness, contrast and gamma settings - so colors and brightness are displayed correctly and without color failures. That's the main reason why I have to calibrate my display. Because color banding occurs in games (in my case, a ugly green tint occurs in UT3 and CS:S in some scenes (especially dark scenes) because the display's colors are not displayed correctly). After calibration those failures were gone.

And now, for an unknown reason, calibration is not active in games (only in Windows). And it shouldn't be active in games, because games don't accept custom color profiles or custom gamma because they use their own ones (but they still accept monitor/GPU settings) - I still don't know, why my calibration profile was active in games months before, because it shouldn't.

Anyway, I may not calibrate my display by the GPU because, like I said, it'll be ignored. I have to calibrate the Monitor, creating Monitor color profiles instead GPU color profiles. Because Monitor profiles won't be ignored in games;)

Therefore, the Nview Tools were recommended - but I don't know how to use it:( - maybe someone in this forum knows that:)

M-2396

Last edited:

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Have you looked at the "Color Management" tab in your monitor's properties window? You might want to try adding a profile if you haven't already. Also, there is more settings in the advanced tab along with the windows calibration wizard.

Morpheus-2396

beyond Good and Evil
Dec 31, 2008
Niedersachsen, Germany
Have you looked at the "Color Management" tab in your monitor's properties window? You might want to try adding a profile if you haven't already. Also, there is more settings in the advanced tab along with the windows calibration wizard.

The profile is already being saved in my monitor software (MagicTune) - and I already activated it. But like I said, it's only active in Windows, not in games - which must mean, it doesn't change monitor color. Instead it changes GPU color, which doesn't work.

I'll look in the advanced tab;)

M-2396