bullet penetration and damage numbers...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Gryphon

Apr 2, 2000
Bullet holes most definitely appear on walls. You probably have detail set to a lower level which eliminates decals, or you're using a Mac. If it's the latter, oh boy...can't help ya there. ;)

You'll all be pleased to know 2.87 has some REALLY awesome looking bullet holes, specifically drawn to suit the material being shot.

Lukasz

Oct 3, 2001
Visit site
Wounding system would be very cool. For the next release (after 2.87), are you guys gonna be working on that, among other things?

hokudan

Mar 20, 2001
wow, thanks for all of the responses and expertise!

I guess the lack of 'penalty' for hitting an object would explain why I was killed by Robar on the old bunkers map while standing behind the concrete bunker. The Robar round didn't lose velocity nor stop even after going through two walls.

So in effect, with the current UT engine, a bullet could go through countless walls and bodies, from one end of the map to the other? So, on the old bunkers map, for example, someone could stand behind a bunker armed with a supressed p90. Then spray on auto while firing towards the enemy's side, and potentially kill someone standing behind the opposite bunker? That's 4 walls!

Ah, but thanks to all of the technical expertise lent here, I have a better understanding of the limitations.

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
No no no, the bullets are not allowed to penetrate though a certain distance. Try it with a thick pole and a thin one (or the very edge of a crate), the thin one will get bullethits on the other side, the thicker ones do not.

hokudan

Mar 20, 2001
soo....the distance penetrated is cumalative (sp?)? IE may penetrate two boxes, but not three, all of the same thickness?

Tiffy

Back to champion the L85
Sep 15, 2001
Visit site
No.

It all comes down to object thickness. If the bullet can pass through the object it is uneffected. If it can't penetrat the object it is stopped.

If a rate can be penetrated, it doesn't matter how many you line up, they all will be penetrated.

I am reading the code right here, aren't I Yurch?

McMuffin

The sh¡ttiest Infiltrator
Jul 30, 2000
OR
Actually I believe a projectile in Inf. has X units of total penetration.

Say you have a projectile which penetrates 16 units, and 3 walls 6 units each. It will pass through the first two, and be stopped in the third.

But in any case some coder will probably tell us we're all wrong ;)

[edit] if bullets penetrated through the whole map, Inf. wouldn't be much fun to play online...

RAZZ

aka FURY13RT
I honestly dont know about this in inf.
but I was doing a test once in unreal ed.
(was half done making a bridge, killing time :p and there was a bit where 3 semi masked brushes were lined up parrallel. )

each wall was, if I recall correct) somewhere between 10 and 15 points thin.

tried the beretta an 5-7, they wouldent penetrate.
the de whent through, so did the m-16 and everything else.

tried on two walls (about a 20 foot gap inbetween)
de got stopped, so did mp5.
m-16, sig, famas, psg whent through.

tried it on 3 walls. only the robar whent through.
total of 30 to 45 points I think.

I dont know the software or what really happened.
Im just looking at the 2.86 decals and saying what I saw.

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
Looking at another function, there might be more to the penetration then we thought. It does seem to slow down a bit after penetrating objects, and its damage seems slightly reduced too. Hmm. (I am looking at the TouchMe function in the flying state, not sure if I gave you that, Tiffy) I don't know quite how effective it is, of course, its quite complicated.
But, tiffy is correct in the penetration. It is recalculated using the same MaxWall every time it hits something, so it could pass through two poles of thickness 3, but not through one pole of thickness 6.

McMuffin

The sh¡ttiest Infiltrator
Jul 30, 2000
OR
Really... I could swear I've seen them get stopped by a series of thin objects...

RAZZ

aka FURY13RT
in this one, each plate is 5 points.
so yea, it seems cumilative.

note: this does not reflect killing power. just that the game placed a decal there.
weather you'd a been killed standing between plate 4 and 5, I dont have a clue.

hokudan

Mar 20, 2001
Razz, that's beautiful! Hmmm, that deagle is powerful. And I didn't realize m-16s and sigs had decent penetrating power as well...