Brutal legend

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
They are by my reckoning one of the factors attacking PC gaming by there almost monopolostic practice of gobling up developers.
as if they are the only ones doing it ... (MS is just as bad, as are Activision and Ubisoft).
Heck only the small ones won't do this, and that's usually because they don't have the money/resources to pay for such things.

there's some rumours that the next Sims 3 will have a traditional cd-key instead of the draconic DRM they had recently.
It's the only thing that will keep me from playing this game.

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
[GU]elmur_fud;2288662 said:
Because of their heavy handed abuse (IMO) of thier developers creative talents for one. Yes I realize they are the producers here not the developers but I am still not giving them any of my money.

They are by my reckoning one of the factors attacking PC gaming by there almost monopolostic practice of gobling up developers. For these reasons and a couple others I boycot EA.

I get your point, but in the end it's your loss, you're missing out on a (probably) good game because of your priciples. (sp?)
The whole EA gobling up developers isn't something new and I'm sure the people at EA realise that the gamers do not like it. They're far from being perfect, but I think that developers under EA get more room to breath now than they did 2 years ago.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
MS is almost worse then EA. I boycot xbox anything.

It may seem odd that I stand by my principals to some but I feel it's the right thing to do so I do it regaurdless of the outcome. I'll just stick to my guns thnx.

Though there are other avenues to get the game (without stealing it which I refuse to do as well) such as pawn shops, garage sales, second hand stores, and used game sales.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
YEAH! Screw companies that sink money into new games, giving them millions of dollars in budgets and allowing things like Mass Effect, Psychonauts, Mirror's Edge, Assassin's Creed, Dead Space, etc. to be made. How dare they support small developers with a budget and resources. DAMN THEM

The best solution is to only buy things used so that the developers of the games see even less money from their hard work, that way you can let it be known that funding development teams in a time when budgets are necessarily higher to keep up with the quality demanded by new technology and private investors shy away from such funding, etc. is EVIL.

Oh, back on topic. This should be fun. Schaffer is a very clever man and though his games almost always have something that annoys the snot out of me, they're still brilliant and funny and I can't wait.

~Jason

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
YEAH! Screw companies that sink money into new games, giving them millions of dollars in budgets and allowing things like Mass Effect, Psychonauts, Mirror's Edge, Assassin's Creed, Dead Space, etc. to be made. How dare they support small developers with a budget and resources. DAMN THEM

The best solution is to only buy things used so that the developers of the games see even less money from their hard work, that way you can let it be known that funding development teams in a time when budgets are necessarily higher to keep up with the quality demanded by new technology and private investors shy away from such funding, etc. is EVIL.

Oh, back on topic. This should be fun. Schaffer is a very clever man and though his games almost always have something that annoys the snot out of me, they're still brilliant and funny and I can't wait.

~Jason

Funny thing the only 2 games you listed that I have even had the opertunity to play are not by EA or MS. Assassin's Creed is by Ubisoft and this thread is the first time I have ever heard them lumped into the same catagory as MS or EA. Psychonauts is by Schafer but has no link to EA or MS that I am aware of. Also some of us sustain 3 people on $7.50/hr @ less then 40hr/week, so $50.00/title isn't always an option anyway.

Basicly from my vantage I see MS's approach to strongarming possible PC megatitles into xbox only releases and EA's slow conversion of there absorbed assets into primarily console developers as the main factors weekening the PC market from within.

I buy plenty of titles from mostly small/independant developers. Many games so small a good number of BUF members may not have even heard of them.

But I digress your welcome to try and belittle me for sticking to what I believe is the right thing for me to do. I don't crumble. I don't sell out.

Does the tower thingy remind any1 else of Zaramoth's horns from Dungeon siege II I.E.Terian that is comprised of giant piles of bones. Only in this case giant bones.
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43623.html?type=flv

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
Lest we forget that Activision was originally going to can brutal legend because they didn't see it making any money, and EA was the ones who thought differently and picked it up.

I don't care at all who the publisher is as long as the game is good (and by 'good' I include it's functionality, ie. restrictive DRM).

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
I'm not sure what the gameplay is going to be like, but if it combos Rockband/Guitar Hero gameplay with some other style of action/adventure game, it could be pretty sweet.

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
I feel sorry for the blokes at Activision, because dropping Brutal Legend (among other good unreleased titles) was a requirement put forth by the VIVENDI side of their merger! :rolleyes:

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Elmur_Fud, you honestly have no idea, do you?

I have millions of ideas every day... but that is not the meaning of the euphamism you use there. It indicates uncertainty, and though EA and MS's behavior damaging PC games is only an unsubstantiated theory, (doing the obligatory research needed to substantiate it wouldn't be that difficult). I am however certain of my principals and that I am on the side of what is right in this matter. Even if it is a stand that seems a pointless one to make too many since it is over something which I sinlely have no control and certainly exceedingly little influence.

Do I realise it is kind of silly to make such a pointless stand? Yes. Do I care that you or anyone else is going to think less of me for making it? No.

Points of interest to me.

The xbox in early press about it was purportedly supposed to be like a PC in that you could play certain xbox enabled PC games on it, but would also have xbox exclusives. xbox I guess abandoned this due most likely to technical issues. But if it had occured think of how many xbox exclusive titles would probably be PC playable as well, I would guess a majority of epics xbox only titles for one. This sort of thing would have promoted both PC and xbox in my opinion, and as a result I would be pro xbox. instead it's dropped and xbox adopts a practice of snagging PC titles were-ever able and making them xbox exclusives, or delayed release for anything else titles.

EA is or at least was a horrible place to work, my one friend who did work there left to go work at a smaller studio where he would have some creative input because he didn't like being told by a bunch of guys in suits that never even played a game what his every creative move should be, so admittedly there ways may have changed. I admit that my opinion of them has softened in the past year since current CEO John Riccitiello stated that this practice by EA was wrong and that the company now gives acquired studios greater autonomy without "meddling" in their corporate culture and John D. Carmack of id Software said that EA is no longer The Evil Empire. Though I still don't like there strong armed business tactics, too much of the hostile takovers and tearing apart of studios if they make 1 bad game.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
[GU]elmur_fud;2302831 said:
I have millions of ideas every day... but that is not the meaning of the euphamism you use there. It indicates uncertainty, and though EA and MS's behavior damaging PC games is only an unsubstantiated theory, (doing the obligatory research needed to substantiate it wouldn't be that difficult). I am however certain of my principals and that I am on the side of what is right in this matter. Even if it is a stand that seems a pointless one to make too many since it is over something which I sinlely have no control and certainly exceedingly little influence.

Do I realise it is kind of silly to make such a pointless stand? Yes. Do I care that you or anyone else is going to think less of me for making it? No.

Points of interest to me.

The xbox in early press about it was purportedly supposed to be like a PC in that you could play certain xbox enabled PC games on it, but would also have xbox exclusives. xbox I guess abandoned this due most likely to technical issues. But if it had occured think of how many xbox exclusive titles would probably be PC playable as well, I would guess a majority of epics xbox only titles for one. This sort of thing would have promoted both PC and xbox in my opinion, and as a result I would be pro xbox. instead it's dropped and xbox adopts a practice of snagging PC titles were-ever able and making them xbox exclusives, or delayed release for anything else titles.

EA is or at least was a horrible place to work, my one friend who did work there left to go work at a smaller studio where he would have some creative input because he didn't like being told by a bunch of guys in suits that never even played a game what his every creative move should be, so admittedly there ways may have changed. I admit that my opinion of them has softened in the past year since current CEO John Riccitiello stated that this practice by EA was wrong and that the company now gives acquired studios greater autonomy without "meddling" in their corporate culture and John D. Carmack of id Software said that EA is no longer The Evil Empire. Though I still don't like there strong armed business tactics, too much of the hostile takovers and tearing apart of studios if they make 1 bad game.

You can be as certain of your principles as you want, without knowing the realities of today within EA, Ubisoft and Activision you cannot fully and correctly stand by those principles. Or, at least, you can, but you would be a fool for doing so, since you're only painting the part of the picture that suits your ideas.

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
this thread is the first time I have ever heard them lumped into the same catagory as MS or EA.
I guess you've conveniently forgotten about the time they included Starforce as their DRM of choice ?

Activision has now filed suit against Double Fine. What a d*** move.
that depends on how the game changed publishers and if all contracts were signed ...
Don't be surprised if the contract they had forbade them to change publishers or something to that effect. Or maybe the contract requires the developers to return the loan to activision if they switch publishers ...

Compared to Take2 vs 3d Realms Activision at least was polite enough to wait until they had found another publisher & capable of selling the game before demanding anything.
// ---

I couldn't care less about who publishes the game.
There's only two things I want to see :
= a game that's released only if it is finished (and therefor also bugfree)

= no DRM, or at least nothing more complex than a cd-key.
If the software requires internet-connection for activation I won't even care how great the game supposedly is.

Last edited:

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
You can be as certain of your principles as you want, without knowing the realities of today within EA, Ubisoft and Activision you cannot fully and correctly stand by those principles. Or, at least, you can, but you would be a fool for doing so, since you're only painting the part of the picture that suits your ideas.

Only painting the part of the picture that suits my ideas? Learn to read please.

or at least was a horrible place to work
so admittedly there ways may have changed.
I admit that my opinion of them has softened in the past year

I always present all the facts I can think of, damaging or not, as I prefer to be fair and impartial above all else.

I guess you've conveniently forgotten about the time they included Starforce as their DRM of choice ? ...

Errm nope didn't forget, I naver heard about it. But i'll look it up since you got me curious.

Last edited:

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Fair but impartial, yet a boycot because EA is still evil, right?

The words Fair and impartial are almost synonamous how can you contrast it with the word but? If your trying to make a statement there sorry I got hung up on the grammer. Not knocking you over that or anything allot of people get hung up on my bad spelling.

Yes fair and impartial for each individual instance of anything as well as the big picture as a whole.

Admittedly over the course of this thread I have learned that they have continued to take steps to be less of the giant vacumous anus of the gaming industry they once where. So a re-evaluation seems to be in order. However they, as a developer, still make over hyped underdeveloped games that they market with almost a nazi-esque frenzy. So I am still not buying any of there personal titles but then I don't really like sports games (the majority of the titles they personally churn out) anyway so I wasn't likely too regaurdless.

I remain highly skeptical of there merely published assets as there internal business model for work flow doesn't look to have changed much. In the context of Brutal Legand I hope to be surprised by more attention to the game or at least equal attention when compaired to the amount of marketing they do for it. But I am not holding my breath.

I just hope they don't try to turn it into rock band with a storyline. However the orrigonal game magazine article I saw (gameinformer I think) said this was also gonna be a PC title, now it's only xbox and PS3. :( Means I deffinately wont be playing it unless I come into a butt load of money all of a sudden.

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
Compared to how the clothing-industry handles its workers/slaves I'd say EA&co aren't even close to 'evil'.
Plus even Epic and Molyneux have admitted that working 80+ hours is considered 'standard'/'normal' in this industry, but lets forget that as that would eliminate pretty much every commercial developer/publisher-combo as a source of 'fair' games.