Bring back 4 teams

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Would you like to see 4 teams return?

• More teams I say!

Votes: 82 85.4%
  • 2 is enough!

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • I still like toast!

Votes: 7 7.3%

• Total voters

Hydrus

is lost
Jul 19, 2004
A friend of mine is colour blind, made it impossible for him to play CS because the colours were too similar - a shame really. To rectify this colour choices (in 4wave) should be player controlled, not too hard to implement surely? :tup:

It'd stop the bickering as well ;)

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
Approx 1/10 males are partially colourblind (myself included). I can have real difficulty telling the difference between blue/purple/turquoise/whatever, please, no more than 4 colours.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
I'm sure they will have model forcing for that. If epic doesn't TTM/Comp will.

Yeah, I'm not all for fancy colors though, or larger amounts of them. Most people would take years to learn the subtle complexities of even 3 Team DM, and think certain aspects of it are just random for a long time, call it spammy, etc...

For Conquest, when they said 8 teams, they really meant like 8 races, or 8 groups of competitors that you could choose from. They did use the word "Teams" and caused plenty of confusion.

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
Four teams is something fun, but not so serious to be incuded in a official game. I've played CTF4, it's interesting, but sometimes too spammy... :con:
Deathmatch with four times is OK, but all the characters would need a Green and Gold skin (that's even more filesize) and most of custom characters wouldn't include these team colours... :rolleyes:
ONS and Conquest would be too complex with more teams...

Last edited:

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Bot_40 said:
Approx 1/10 males are partially colourblind (myself included). I can have real difficulty telling the difference between blue/purple/turquoise/whatever, please, no more than 4 colours.

Yup, I'm colorblind too. I love CTF4, but if I play it, I have to be on Blue. Green, Red, and Gold all run together for me. I can see blue from the other three colors, so I just shoot anything that doesn't look blue.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
BooGiTyBoY said:
I think they just refuse to acknowledge the fact that ones such as Mauve, Taupe, and Teel are actual colors. ;) :lol:
^^ agreed

Mauve = pinky purple
No idea wtf the other 2 are....

G.Lecter said:
Deathmatch with four times is OK, but all the characters would need a Green and Gold skin (that's even more filesize) and most of custom characters wouldn't include these team colours...

About the custom skins..... If all the default skins are in 4 colours, I'm sure all custom skins would follow suite. I wouldn't be too worried about filesize at this point anyway.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
I am thorn between my love for the Gold team (don't you dare to say yellow team!!!) and my love for toast. Damn you for putting me in this position, BoogityBoy!

;)

I concur with the 4 teams. This definitely needs to be implemented, along with selecting team colors in non-team games.

Something else I thought of was the option to select between "Team Colors", "Team Beacons", "Ally/Enemy Colors", and "Ally/Enemy Beacons".

Last edited:
Actually now that I think about it my idea that I just posted could help colourblind people whilst other people can enjoy the four teams thing. The reason for selecting between colours and beacons? Well some people including me like to pit one race vs another race and we don't want them to have huge globs of red and blue on them to differentiate them.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
G.Lecter said:
Four teams is something fun, but not so serious to be incuded in a official game. I've played CTF4, it's interesting, but sometimes too spammy... :con:
Deathmatch with four times is OK, but all the characters would need a Green and Gold skin (that's even more filesize) and most of custom characters wouldn't include these team colours... :rolleyes:
Custom-characters/skins that don't include all teamcolours should be limited to deathmatch only or simply not even function.
It really can't be that hard to change replace one major item/pattern with one of 4 major colour-themes. Especially if you know how to skin in the first place.

And if that's too difficult than maybe Epic can add a feature that automagically replaces all areas with a specific colour with the teamcolour.
It won't be perfect and it mightl kill any chance of having completely different skins for each team, but it will at least give the lazy skinners a chance.

ONS and Conquest would be too complex with more teams...
as mentioned : rts's often have 4+ teams in larger battles with players forming (temporary) alliances (essentially reducing 4 teams to two really big teams).
Besides ... a little complexity never hurt, provided it was done right.

FireCrack

May 25, 2004
BooGiTyBoY said:
I think they just refuse to acknowledge the fact that ones such as Mauve, Taupe, and Teel are actual colors. ;) :lol:

Teel isn't a colour.

Teal however...

i am a big fan of ctf, and would love to see the inclusion of 4 teams, however, though, as a different gametype to normal ctf.

sometimes i would just want the simplicity of 1 team vs another.

in ctf4 player, can 1 player steal more than 1 flag, i can just see me running around the map for my life, with 3 enemy teams after the 'prize' of 2 flags, and returning their own. and my teammates trying desperately to hide me.

like a mob....

Xipher

I didn't break it, you did
Feb 15, 2004
Iowa
kAoS.Xaero said:
i am a big fan of ctf, and would love to see the inclusion of 4 teams, however, though, as a different gametype to normal ctf.

sometimes i would just want the simplicity of 1 team vs another.
Thats exactly how it was with CTF4, you had a new gametype, and had to make new maps as well.

kAoS.Xaero said:
in ctf4 player, can 1 player steal more than 1 flag, i can just see me running around the map for my life, with 3 enemy teams after the 'prize' of 2 flags, and returning their own. and my teammates trying desperately to hide me.

like a mob....
in the UT2004 CTF4 mod, thats just ONE of the options. The guys that made it had a few different choices, and that was one of them. Plus a hat trick in one flag run is kinda cool :D
:redflag: :blueflag:

Agent_5

Replica?
Jan 24, 2004
UT
Renegade Retard said:
Yup, I'm colorblind too. I love CTF4, but if I play it, I have to be on Blue. Green, Red, and Gold all run together for me. I can see blue from the other three colors, so I just shoot anything that doesn't look blue.
I thought you could see red but not blue and green. :confused:

Back in my UT days, the only TDM I would play was with four teams. I found it complicated though when I migrated to 2k3 with regular TDM and then trying to switch back to 4 teams with a mutator. I don't think Epic should include 4 team gametypes, but I do think it should be something that's easily accessible for modders to fiddle around with.