Bot control: help...??

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Slyrr77

Apr 25, 2004
I apologize if this has been dealt with in other threads, but I've conducted a 'search' of the forums and the thread titles don't seem to address this issue. And I didn't want to sift through all the threads which were brought up which had titles that didn't seem promising, but which may have had some text about it within.

I speak of BOT control in UT3. Since the titan pack came out and the game is better than it was before, I thought to continue my long neglected SP campaign. But in the warfare maps, I find myself stalled again, because my BOT team mates seem to be freakin' idiots.

Now - the ENEMY bot performance seems flawless. In fact, they operate like a well-oiled machine. They're focused, relentless and fairly strategic. They use their vehicles well, use the orbs well and have an excellent balance between attack and defense.

So why can't MY bot team-mates do that?

I've tried everything I can to control them, but it's as if they've been pre-commanded by the game to totally ignore me. Sometimes I get lucky and they fumble through to victory. But most of the time they just can't get their act together. And I think I know PART of the reason....

1) The VOICE CONTROL: Now - I heard during the development process that using 'voice control' to order the bots around was 'in place and working flawlessly'. But I see no evidence of that. I've read numerous articles from the developers in which they boast, 'Just hit the voice transmit key, name a specific bot, and give it a general order and it will obey. You could say 'Matrix, attack the primary node' or 'Loque, follow me' and they'll obey you.

Alas, that's not the case. Unless I'm missing something, I've got my mic. working perfectly. The little transmit icon pops up when I hit the 'trasmit voice' key. I give orders. But the bots DON'T acknowledge them.

Question: Is there some special setting you have to tweak to get the bots to obey voice control? We all know the main menu UI is a nightmare. Is there some specific spot you have to go to, and some check box you have to check in order to get bots to follow voice commands? I've been through the multiplayer menu, the audio menu and the input menu, and I see nothing labelled 'check THIS box if your bots won't listen to your voice commands' option - or anything like that. Am I missing something here?

Caveat: If the UT developers changed their minds about voice control over the bots and broomed the whole thing so that this is NOT possible (making thier promises a filthy stinking LIE), could that be confirmed?

2) The 'command' menu. You know - that key you hit that brings up a flyout widget with the options, 1) Orders 2) Taunts 3) Animations. You pick option 1 (orders) and you can pick orders to attack, defend, hold position, freelance, drop orb and so on.

So I figured - 'Fine. Voice control over the bots isn't possible yet. I'll just use the command menu to get them to behave generically, and then maybe I can win those blasted WAR maps. If I can at least order them to hold position at a specific node, then maybe I can carry this idiot AI team of mine to victory, even if I have to drag them kicking and screaming across the finish line.'

But as I continued to lose match after match, I started watching my bots more closely. And they WEREN'T obeying the menu commands either! I would go to a node, stand right in front of it, and use the command menu to order a specific bot on the roster to HOLD POSITION. And the bot in question would always say "Roger!" as if it had heard my orders and was rushing to obey.

But they DIDN'T. I stayed at the point, time and time again, waiting for the ordered bot to show up. I'd peek out and see them rushing across the field towards some other node, or driving a vehicle, or carrying the orb. In short, they were doing anything BUT obeying the command menu.

I ordered the bot to COVER ME. Same deal. It would shout "ROGER!", but it would keep playing independently and leave me fending for myself. I went through ALL the command options, over and over again with the SAME (@#*$&(@$# result - my bot team mates, who were supposed to obey my commands, would all scurry around as if I hadn't issued any orders at all.

I ordered them as individuals. I tried ordering them 'All' from the command menu, to follow me, to hold position, anything. No dice. They kept playing as if I weren't even part of the game. I tried WAR maps - CTF maps, VCTF maps, GREED matches, Team DM matches.

None of the bots every obey my orders! And in GREED matches it's horribly frustrating. You order your bot wingman to HOLD POSITION at the skull drop point in your base to defend it - and he rushes outside to attack the enemy!

So getting back to the SP campaign map that I'm stuck on, (ONYX COAST WAR map by the way) I was tearing my hair out trying to get my bots to play the match properly. But they ignored me again and again, just doing their own thing.

More often than not, they would pile into the leviathan, and the stupid bot driving it would get STUCK at the main entrance! They'd tilt it sideways and block the entrance so they couldn't get out, and then they'd just SIT there, leaving the entire attack/defend job to me! Ordering them to attack did nothing - they just stayed in the Leviathan. Getting into it and taking over driving did no good - none of them would leave the vehicle, and I couldn't drive it out either since they wedged it so tight across the door that I couldn't go forward or back.

It was funny the first time, but after the second and third, it just got annoying. Meantime, the enemy bots, who seem as smart as a whip, were steamrolling my idiot bot teammates and I couldn't keep them off the power core, never mind pushing back to win the match.

So this is my long-winded way of asking for HELP. I know UT3 could be fun, but right now I'm so furious with the Bots that I'm ready to give up again, even after the titan pack!

Why won't they obey my orders??? Voice control, the command menu - nothing works! They're totally ignoring me, and it loses me the SP WAR maps nine times out of ten. I've played Onyx Coast WAR nearly a dozen times, and I can't win, even at 'average' skill level because my bots won't listen to me. Again, sometimes I get lucky, but it's RARE. I have to wade through loss after loss in every WAR map before edging in a nail-biting victory.

At least in DM matches, their idiocy and randomness can be productive since they fan out and get some kills in, but again, if I order them all to "COVER ME" they just shout "ROGER!" and run in the opposite direction!

What the (#@*&$(#$& is going on here???!!!?!??!?

Any help is appreciated, and again - sorry if this has been addressed in some other forum thread. But as I haven't seen it, it'll be new to me....

Last edited: