BioShock Activation Limits Removed

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
Not only that but they left a nice SecureRom shaped turd on peoples hard disks.
This looks more like marketing than anything else ready to push BS2 onto people with even worse crap attached. With a don't worry we will disable some part of it at some time in the future sop.

Yup, that too. Yay, now I can install Bioshock on more than three computers, and bug them all up with SecuROM too. Whee!

This whole "treat our customers like idiots/criminals" thing is why I don't play PC games outside the UT series, and once that starts (and I am sure it will), I'll be done with that too.

edit: Actually I guess I already am done with UT, never bothered upgrading for UT3 and I'm glad I didn't. Oh well, the original UT is still more than fun enough after nine years. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
If the game doesn't need a patch then it probably was a 'feature' with a time-limit ...
I guess they were afraid that if people knew when it would time out that they'd wait until such time before copying/buying the game.

It does say BioShock Activation Limits Removed, not Activation Removed. But hey its probably time to start thinking about getting this game :p

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
A good number of people seem to read that as "no more activation required / DRM removed". It's not. Only the limit of x activations on x PCs is removed. That's why it's a server only thing that needs no change on the client.

Still not good enough for me to buy it.

no amount of not buying a game because they have copy protection will make them stop putting it on. So this really isn't a good reason not to buy a game.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
I think it's a great reason. It means you support their decisions. Personally, I don't. Therefore, no sale.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
I think it's a great reason. It means you support their decisions. Personally, I don't. Therefore, no sale.

I find it a useless guesture unless you can convince the 100s of thousands of ppl who will buy the game anyway not to.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
I find it a useless guesture unless you can convince the 100s of thousands of ppl who will buy the game anyway not to.

Be careful with that one cause if the PCGA come up with any numbers on pirates they could be used against it. Now Im not going to go into a huge rant here but I will say that while you can stay this type of protection stops people pirating the game it could also cause people to pirate this game specifically for this reason. Im with alot of people who say pirates wont purchase the game either way but I think that is alittle too much of a blanket statement, there will be some who would have bought the game otherwise.

And ofcoarse you'll never get the real number of people who never bought the game because of this, some would have gone meh limited activations and will never look twice not even, to pirate it. For me unlimited activations is a step in the right direction but I would prefer a patch which removes the activation all together. Alot of games do it for disc checking, actually its funny about the diablo2 one since Ive been using a nocd on my legit copy for about 3 odd years easy.

Theres no way to tell how many customers they are losing and money associated with that, they should take it into consideration though! Having people buy the game @ $20 instead of $100 so if 5 people paid full price day one thats $500 instead. You might as well be losing customers with those numbers, say 2/5 were gonna pirate it anyways so $300 is still better than $60, lets say 2/5 were waiting because of the activation limitation and the other 1/5 buying full price thats $140 instead of $300.

Infact, I would pay more not to have the activation in there in the first place! Maybe they should add the activation limit in when the game hits $20 :lol:

Last edited:

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
no amount of not buying a game because they have copy protection will make them stop putting it on. So this really isn't a good reason not to buy a game.
I pretty much gave up on the whole make people vote with their wallet to get rid of activation thing. Not buying it means I don't have to deal with it and that's a perfectly good reason for me.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
That's the same kind of negative thinking that people use when they're not voting for something/someone ...

It may not have immediate effect, but it does save me money that I can use on games that aren't as user-hostile.
It's not like I'd run out of games to play if I was to boycot every game with such features.
I haven't missed anything when I decided not to buy games from Steam.
I didn't miss Bioshock.
And I'm not completely sure that not buying Spore will hurt me either.
Instead I'm waiting to buy "Sins of the Solar Empire" ...

//
If it is only the 'limit' on the number of activations that's being removed then it still isn't good enough.

Entr0p1cLqd

May 25, 2004
If I'm not going to buy a game because of the copy protection then I make a point of posting on the official forum and telling them that I'm not buying their game specifically because of the copy protection.

I don't have a problem with on-line activation but I do have a real problem with limited activations. I'll just buy other stuff; without copy-protection or with DRM I can live with.

Bioshock is an excellent game. It has the best plot-twist/cut-scene of any game I've ever played; and the mad people really are completely mad (the audio is superb).

If you've not picked it up by now then now would be a good time.