Best graphics settings for playing online

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
SkyBox.utx, ShaneSky.utx and City.utx are inproperly masked so you need to use original ones from UT CD1.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
As for the second question? Purely placebo effect. Shock Primary and Sniper Rifle are both hitscan weapons - the beam "travelling" effect on the shock rifle is just that - an effect. Both weapons hit instantly. It's likely a factor of ping and/or packet loss, or else maybe you just have that idea in your mind subconsciously and it affects your performance.

It's not placebo. Some of us players are having trouble getting the game to play smoothly and one of the side effects of having a "shaky" UT is that it is much harder to get a hit with sniper rifle than it should be. There's definitely some odd problem going on that didn't happen on older machines.

Netspeed and monitor refresh are completely unrelated. I wrote a quick and easy guide for setting your netspeed here.

Netspeed and framerate are related though. When I set netspeed to 5500 ATI Tray Tools shows a steady 85 fps. The game players smoother and it's like the difference between watching ripply water and a plain mirror.

Last edited:

Protos

Jan 23, 2008
It's not placebo. Some of us players are having trouble getting the game to play smoothly and one of the side effects of having a "shaky" UT is that it is much harder to get a hit with sniper rifle than it should be. There's definitely some odd problem going on that didn't happen on older machines.

Very true, definitely problems on newer rigs.

I am thinking of installing windows 98 se and ut on a usb stick and trying to boot from that. I just cant get my current rig to run the game smoothly online, even offline can be a tad jerky at times. Feels like I am a few beats behind and hitscan is very very hard.