Best AGP card for 2010

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

~Psycho~

Nov 10, 1999
Hah 30GHz... I wish they would make some faster cores instead of just more. UT2004 cannot benifit from six damn core. I'll have 2 or 4 super fast cores please!

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
Hah 30GHz... I wish they would make some faster cores instead of just more. UT2004 cannot benifit from six damn core. I'll have 2 or 4 super fast cores please!

That's the game I play the most.
Butt I do rip a lot of DVD's.
So the six cores should help.
Right know it's ripping at 1.1 speed.

What I don't like is the TDP of the I7. 130Watts :eek:
My 2.53 was 62 watts.

The video card I was looking at sucks 700watts :eek:

I need to do some more research.
I don't need a 1000watt heater.

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
I wouldn't seriously consider the 'Extreme' series CPUs - they're terrible value for money. Intel prices them twice as much as they're worth... well... because they can.

The i7-960 is only $439.00 less then i7-980X Extreme Edition.

The i7-880 is only $350.00 less then i7-980X Extreme Edition.
400 bucks is not much to me...For some thing I will keep for another 8 years.

I'm now looking at AMD chips. Only had them in my notebooks, never in a PC.

Edit: That was a short search "If you're looking for a definitive statement to describe the state of desktop processing, Intel is technically superior. Period."

Link: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclocking-phenom-ii-x6-efficiency,2633.html

Last edited:

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
That's the game I play the most.
Butt I do rip a lot of DVD's.
So the six cores should help.
Right know it's ripping at 1.1 speed.

What I don't like is the TDP of the I7. 130Watts :eek:
My 2.53 was 62 watts.

The video card I was looking at sucks 700watts :eek:

I need to do some more research.
I don't need a 1000watt heater.
What do you expect with multiple cores? Unless you're buying some nice burning software, almost none of the free stuff out there will make good use of quadcores or hexacores.

No video card uses 700 watts either. A 480 GTX is rated at ~250 TDP and the 5970 is ~290 TDP. You're getting confused with recommended power supply wattage.
The i7-960 is only $439.00 less then i7-980X Extreme Edition.

The i7-880 is only $350.00 less then i7-980X Extreme Edition.
400 bucks is not much to me...For some thing I will keep for another 8 years.

I'm now looking at AMD chips. Only had them in my notebooks, never in a PC.

Edit: That was a short search "If you're looking for a definitive statement to describe the state of desktop processing, Intel is technically superior. Period."

Link: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclocking-phenom-ii-x6-efficiency,2633.html
Extreme Editions are normally identical to the processor that is the next step down. You're literally wasting hundreds of dollars of money unless you're a pretty mean overclocker.

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
System Requirement:
*PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard.
*850 Watt Power Supply is required.
*1200 Watt Power Supply is recommended for CrossFireX™ System.
*2 X 150 Watt 8-pin PCI Express power connector is required.
*4 X 150 Watt 8-pin PCI Express power connector is required for CrossFireX™ system.
*Certified power supplies are recommended. Refer to http://ati.amd.com/certifiedPSU for a list of Certified products.

Link: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10012727

And I have a way, of maybe getting the chip and other Intel products with a barter ;)

Deathmaker

Balanced
Mar 29, 2001
Manchester, England.
You no doubt already know this but manufacturer's PSU requirements are always way higher than the actual requirements for the hardware because many numpties buy pos, el cheapo, generic power supplies that would go bang if they were asked to supply the power they're rated to.

Here's an actual, real-world power usage of the 4GB Sapphire 5970 in an i7 rig. As you can see, while it is a relative power hog, a quality 600W PSU would do the job easily.

Deathmaker

Balanced
Mar 29, 2001
Manchester, England.
You're missing the point, the 1KW Corsair is the PSU they always use with that test rig, it's not a requirement to run that card. As the charts show, a 600W from a good brand would suffice.

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
Then why don't they use a 600watt supply?

If the manufacture says I need 850wattts. I'm going to get it.

I'm a guy, I can never have to much power.

Skakruk : I'm still just making a list. The Dual GPU's is the fastest right now.

Last edited:

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
Yep. You never know what your going to get, till you try it out.
Butt Fry's has let me return video cards 24 hours after I bought them ;)

Hint: Joke around with the girls at the return counter, and bringing them candy helps.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Then why don't they use a 600watt supply?

If the manufacture says I need 850wattts. I'm going to get it.

I'm a guy, I can never have to much power.

Skakruk : I'm still just making a list. The Dual GPU's is the fastest right now.
Because review sites get thousands and thousands of dollars of hardware to test for free. Of course they're going to use the best they have to test. Half of the time they're just proving how pointless it is spending all that extra cash for nothing.

It's like spending thousands of dollars on state-of-the-art racing seats and harnesses for your stock Dodge Neon.

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
Ugh.
Dude.
I just bought some state of the art Recaro's.
They came out of a Stock Dodge Neon. <----Not joking.
My friend needed some money. I think his family is going to loose his house.