Battle-Field 3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Look at you all. Complaining and being grumpy already. Only page one and a 43 second video and you all find some stuff to whine about.

Beyond Unreal is weird.
PFFFFFTTTTTTTBBEBBWBEHEWEFHW. How much PC gaming do you even do anymore?
What did the consoles get that PC didn't? And let me go over this again. The PC version is awesome.
It's not that we want things that the console versions don't have, we just want a proper port at the least. I'll give them credit for trying and for that I bought their game hoping for a good successor to Battlefield 2. But it ends there really. They've patched how much since it's release and yet the server browser (which was a joke on launch) is still buggy and crap compared to the ones you find on PC exclusives. The controls are a sluggish mess. The engine performance is abysmal and it has always been clear Frostbite was designed for 360. The list goes on...

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
I play GBA games with an emulator now.

Because the DISEASE that is CONSOLIZATION HAS RUINED PC GAMES FOREVER!!!!!!!!

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Announced Homefront has Large-Scale vehicle combat- BUF likes

Announced BF3 has even Larger-scale vehicle combat with jets by a company that has been doing this for a long time and practically started the whole large-scale genre- BUF hate

lolwut.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Look at you all. Complaining and being grumpy already. Only page one and a 43 second video and you all find some stuff to whine about.

Beyond Unreal is weird.

I'm neither whining nor complaining but you're whining about the whiners. think about it.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
It's not that we want things that the console versions don't have, we just want a proper port at the least. I'll give them credit for trying and for that I bought their game hoping for a good successor to Battlefield 2. But it ends there really. They've patched how much since it's release and yet the server browser (which was a joke on launch) is still buggy and crap compared to the ones you find on PC exclusives. The controls are a sluggish mess. The engine performance is abysmal and it has always been clear Frostbite was designed for 360. The list goes on...

I have no problems with the server browser and I find the controls to be exactly what I want. They are lag free, but the movement feels more restrained than something like COD, which is deliberate and wonderful. I don't know what you mean by the engine performance being miserable, but it runs great for me (on my 5850--and it ran great on my 8800gts before I upgraded) and I don't see what's so gimped about it. It's beautiful, it has some large environments and the destructibility is second to none right now. Maybe it's just not for you, but I, for one, find it to be a truly excellent experience and there isn't another modern PC FPS right now that feels better right now.

~Jason

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
I have no problems with the server browser and I find the controls to be exactly what I want. They are lag free, but the movement feels more restrained than something like COD, which is deliberate and wonderful. I don't know what you mean by the engine performance being miserable, but it runs great for me (on my 5850--and it ran great on my 8800gts before I upgraded) and I don't see what's so gimped about it. It's beautiful, it has some large environments and the destructibility is second to none right now. Maybe it's just not for you, but I, for one, find it to be a truly excellent experience and there isn't another modern PC FPS right now that feels better right now.

~Jason

Well the server browser is somewhat broken. Searches will display servers with 999 ping or no ping at all. This seems to happen after you check your favorites list. The servers are still joinable though. Also sometimes hitting join will do nothing. The browser does most certainly have its issues, but nothing that can't be worked around.

The engine performance is abysmal and it has always been clear Frostbite was designed for 360. The list goes on...

32 player servers tend to really beat this game to death. Also lots of benchmarks insist that you get a quad core processor for this game. Rumor has it(and I stress rumor) that the game was ported from the ps3 version and that is why it favors quads.

Last edited:

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
My favorite thing about BC2 is when the browser says I ping like 15 and then in-game my ping is 200 or something. It is rather unwieldy in terms of resources and I knocked it back to DirectX 9 so I could play without too much horrible bull**** happening on the new maps. I never had the problem except on the new map pack, but whatever. I'm not missing out on anything important.

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
My favorite thing about BC2 is when the browser says I ping like 15 and then in-game my ping is 200 or something.
Yeah I guess the browser value is actually the ping when connecting straight to the server, and doesn't take into account all the sh*t that happens in-game like destructibility and other network traffic.

Dunno though, not a networking expert. :p

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Oh, yeah, forgot about that. You win a point. I'm still excited as crap about BF3 and 64 person servers.

~Jason
BF1942 and 64 person servers wasn't that exciting, so I'm not sure what the excitement level is about.

Have they announced PC exclusive maps yet? Because if not I'm sure 64 players on maps made for 16 is going to be awesome...

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
BF1942 and 64 person servers wasn't that exciting, so I'm not sure what the excitement level is about.

Have they announced PC exclusive maps yet? Because if not I'm sure 64 players on maps made for 16 is going to be awesome...

To be honest, I never thought BF1942 was all that great. Yeah, it was first, but the gameplay was extremely slack and didn't really do it for me. As for the maps, if ALL they had was a Rush map from BC2 without the roped off areas of progression, it would still be absolutely awesome. We'll see, though.

~Jason

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005

~Jason
I don't get the impression the delayed-everything is deliberate. The slower the server, the slower everything becomes. Even simple stuff that is normally localized like weapon switching. I'm not saying it runs bad but compared to other games it sure does. Look at Dead Space, you can play that on DX10 with an old core 2 duo and a limpdick of a graphics card like a GT240 and pull 60+ fps. Modern cards and hardware will get you over 200 no problem. (I don't think it's a coincidence considering engine's foundation was on PC with The Godfather. Dead Space looks pretty because of good design/art, not technical achievement) You could never do that in BC2. That game only looks good in much more grand scheme, with many players and a lot of action happening. Play on medium/low settings by your lonesome and the game quickly looks really washed out and rather pathetic for what we have these days.
My favorite thing about BC2 is when the browser says I ping like 15 and then in-game my ping is 200 or something. It is rather unwieldy in terms of resources and I knocked it back to DirectX 9 so I could play without too much horrible bull**** happening on the new maps. I never had the problem except on the new map pack, but whatever. I'm not missing out on anything important.
The browser and scoreboard do some funky junk. The browser snapshots a ping the moment it's info is retrieved rather than getting a quick average like other games. So, sometimes you get a ping that makes it to the server faster than average the moment the info was retrieved or of course, sometimes much slower. The scoreboard is latency, which is a lot different than ping. I saw it explained once exactly how how it's calculated but I don't remember much other than it can be said that dividing your latency will give you a rough estimate of your ping.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I'm not saying it runs bad but compared to other games it sure does. Look at Dead Space, you can play that on DX10 with an old core 2 duo and a limpdick of a graphics card like a GT240 and pull 60+ fps. Modern cards and hardware will get you over 200 no problem. (I don't think it's a coincidence considering engine's foundation was on PC with The Godfather. Dead Space looks pretty because of good design/art, not technical achievement) You could never do that in BC2. That game only looks good in much more grand scheme, with many players and a lot of action happening. Play on medium/low settings by your lonesome and the game quickly looks really washed out and rather pathetic for what we have these days.

Why are you comparing a SP, tight corridor game to a MP, HUGE environment game? Yes, Dead Space runs really well, but that's because the longest draw distance is 50ft, whereas in BC2 I'm sniping people at 900ft while a tank is destroying a building and someone else is blowing the hole in a wall. So yeah, it doesn't run as well on older gen cards, but again, I was able to play on med settings on an 8800, and while it didn't look great, it played well. Seems fair to me. Compare large games with massive interaction to other games of like type, not dark corridor games with 10 enemies at a time onscreen, tops.

~Jason

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
To be honest, I never thought BF1942 was all that great. Yeah, it was first, but the gameplay was extremely slack and didn't really do it for me. As for the maps, if ALL they had was a Rush map from BC2 without the roped off areas of progression, it would still be absolutely awesome. We'll see, though.

~Jason
HEATHEN!

BF1942 from the demo to the second patch was the best game ever created. Ramming Hitler's corvette into tanks was the best thing ever. The problem is DICE gave into the whiners and completely ruined the game after a while making it no fun any longer.

Battlefield 2 ultimately succumbed to this as well.

Bad Company 2 hasn't gone down this road yet, but, again... which version do they care about more? :p It's an awesome game but it could be so much better.