BA of Arts

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

theabyss

No One Here Gets Out Alive
Dec 3, 2005
East Coast
Or, they've realized that it absolutely IS a waste of time for some people, and those people can be more successful by doing things their own way or even starting their own company. That's what I did.

Yup, but some people like me need structure. In younger years I had the patience to read and watch hundreds of tutorials on how to do things. I can't do that anymore. I don't know - as one get's older one should maybe exercise more patience but I become more restless the older I get. I had to have some sort of structure (College and a schedule) to get shit done. Also, the things that I learned from my peers was often more valuable than the stuff we learned in College. As mentioned above, through some of the science requirements it can steer you in fields you never thought of being interested in (Allele anyone?). Also networking, also chicks (not that I ever got any), also just being around people who can get excited about the same lame stuff you do. (Did you notice the beauty in the descender of the letter J in the Trajan font? :lol:)

Last edited:

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I hate to split hairs, but it seems that you are either being obtuse or not sure what you are trying to say.
I know what I'm saying and it's very simple.

in a lot of potential career fields, paying for 4-6 years of college wouldn't get you much further than diving into the work itself from the bottom rung of the ladder and learning it from the inside out. if you want to be a kind of mechanical engineer or learn to perform brain surgery you need school. but when it comes to many of the more liberal-arts-type careers, you get much further by doing and developing your craft than by learning from formal study.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
I know what I'm saying and it's very simple.

in a lot of potential career fields, paying for 4-6 years of college wouldn't get you much further than diving into the work itself from the bottom rung of the ladder and learning it from the inside out. if you want to be a kind of mechanical engineer or learn to perform brain surgery you need school. but when it comes to many of the more liberal-arts-type careers, you get much further by doing and developing your craft than by learning from formal study.

Well, third time's a charm. I understand, though it seems your message has changed slightly.

Anyhow, you have pretty much paraphrased what I said many posts ago; that there are scenarios where formal education might not be the best route. Self-employment was the example I gave, but yes, fine or liberal arts might be another. But as I said in my earlier post, there are a lot of variables in that equation as well, being good at what you have undertaken being but one.

University isn't all about the learning; there is a lot of networking going on as well; a successful student is one who not only excels in grades, but also takes advantage of the connections that are easily established.

I am not arguing here, as I happen to essentially agree with you, but not without significant caveats.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
it wasn't supposed to be a complex dissertation on the subject.
of course there's caveats.

I think it's pretty clear that I'm speaking generally.

You seem to favor brevity in your posts, perhaps at the expense of clarity. Had your posts been as clear as you believe, I wouldn't have needed all of the follow-up.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Moot to whom? And exactly what point is moot? Let it go?

Yep.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Yup, but some people like me need structure. In younger years I had the patience to read and watch hundreds of tutorials on how to do things. I can't do that anymore. I don't know - as one get's older one should maybe exercise more patience but I become more restless the older I get. I had to have some sort of structure (College and a schedule) to get shit done. Also, the things that I learned from my peers was often more valuable than the stuff we learned in College. As mentioned above, through some of the science requirements it can steer you in fields you never thought of being interested in (Allele anyone?). Also networking, also chicks (not that I ever got any), also just being around people who can get excited about the same lame stuff you do. (Did you notice the beauty in the descender of the letter J in the Trajan font? :lol:)

I know the feeling! That's exactly why I'm working on transitioning away from creative and into something more traditional; I'm sick of learning new things, and I want the next thing to be the last thing! :D

I want to launch a startup that will put all of my skills to use on one project, instead of being a one-stop studio shop and doing everything piecemeal. It can be lucrative, but I'm getting older and maintaining focus becomes a problem when I constantly feel like I'm being pulled in 20 different directions.