At what age did you start mapping/coding/...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Soulwax

Amberlamps
Jul 8, 2009
Belgium
At what age did you start getting into level design/coding/art/... ?

I'm 15 and started mapping just a couple of months ago.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
tmi

Digital art with about 10, games creation in SEUK and the like with about 12, 3D modelling with about 12/13 (Imagine 3D on the Amiga) coding (very badly) at school with about 14 and I think the first game I started mapping for in 3D was Marathon with 15.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
If it counts, then first thing I was making for a game was on the old stunts game, the car racing one with obstacles etc. I was like 5 and 6 when I made tracks for it. It was very easy I remember though, but my tracks didn't look bad compared to most of the game stuff actually, I made once a fine track centered about a volcano thing (or more like hill with a lake) with a bridge through it and a round track around with palm trees around and other stuff.
Very easy stuff really.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I started with CnC Tiberian Sun around 11-12 (aged 10ish) years ago, then moved on to learning to program for Quake 3. I got into the Unreal scene about three or so years ago.

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
now that you mention it...
i mapped for CnC RA a bit. i remember that map that was 99% cristals and the bot couldnt find a spot to build a base. i build a base and had like 150000cash and used my nuke to bomb away some cristals for the bot to build. as the only thing i had been doing before was building rafineries i wasnt really prepared when the bot suddenly attacked xD

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
If it counts, then first thing I was making for a game was on the old stunts game, the car racing one with obstacles etc. I was like 5 and 6 when I made tracks for it. It was very easy I remember though, but my tracks didn't look bad compared to most of the game stuff actually, I made once a fine track centered about a volcano thing (or more like hill with a lake) with a bridge through it and a round track around with palm trees around and other stuff.
Very easy stuff really.
Oh god, Excite Bike?

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
Why is this topic here?!!!!!!!?!?!?
But I was around 10 or 11, trying to map for UT.
Soulwax, do you like Soulwax??

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
Anyone ever heard of nox? I started doing maps for it when I was 11. That editor was a bitch to learn at that age. It was mostly hex.

Before that I did starcraft maps when I was like 8 or 9.

StalwartUK

Feb 12, 2008
England
I remember making a ton of maps for Age of Empires when I was around 7 years old or so (1997).

I didn't start Unreal modding till I was 12 (2002).

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Before that I did starcraft maps when I was like 8 or 9.

Well if SC counts then I'd say 10-11 years old. My EX step-father and I used to go around JKedit (An unofficial Dark Force 2: Jedi Knight) by the time we had Voodoo's. Ticking cards during resolution changes.

I got into Mapping seriously around age 15-17.