Anyone Use X-Fire?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

igNiTion

here
Apr 9, 2004
South Carolina
Renegade Retard said:
BTW Han, I had the same concerns. I ran XFire all weekend, but I also had SpySweeper running in the background, and it never picked up anything. Last night I ran Spybot Search and Destroy AND Adaware, and neither of those found anything either.

So far with my usage it appears to be safe. My understanding is that XFire isn't something new. Players have been using it for a while.

And to let you know how effective this tool is - Brizz sent me an Instant Message through XFire. "Up for a game?" "Sure!" Brizz jumped on a server. XFire told me what game he was playing (UT2k4) and exactly what server he was on. All I had to do was click on one button. UT2k4 launched and put me directly in that server.

I didn't have to start the game, go the server menu, refresh my buddy list......none of that! I just clicked and joined him.
]
yea, i believe the first version was released 6 or 7 months ago, and i've been using it since the start with no problems :)

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Well I just signed onto the account I made on it ages ago and added the lot of you that had your names up here. :) For those who don't know yet, my name on there is SlayerDragon. (Duh) :crazydance:

Old Gil

°J2°'s resident lagger
Jun 20, 2004
only prollem i have wit it is it dont give u the names and pings of players in a server, but hey, cant have everything :)

igNiTion

here
Apr 9, 2004
South Carolina
Old Gil said:
only prollem i have wit it is it dont give u the names and pings of players in a server, but hey, cant have everything :)
you can get the names of people in the server by double clicking on the player in the xfire screen (i.e. sending them a message) and scroll down on the right side of the message box - it will list that'\ players ping, server, ip, names of the other players in the server, etc

Raistlyn

Apr 16, 2004
Raistlyn... I dont usually turn it on tho. Will it still find people if they dont have it on?

igNiTion

here
Apr 9, 2004
South Carolina
Renegade Retard said:
Good question
igNiTion said:
good question
lol.
if it could find people without it turned on, then it would also have to be able to add to their hours playing a game (in their profile) even if they didn't have xfire on. because if it could find them playing a game without xfire on, then it would add to the hours. but it doesn't. to find other users/ for other people to be able to see you/ and to add hours to your profile you must have xfire activated.

rhirud

Fast learning novice
Feb 20, 2004
Well I've just sent out a load of invites (you cannot be somebody's buddy on xfire unless that person decides to allow it.)

I mainly used x-fire with a friend (singular) to find each other now and again. If more of us use it, I might actually get to play against a few of you,

rhirud

Fast learning novice
Feb 20, 2004
P.S have you seen the "servers" tab - it tells you where you've played recently, and again allows quick joining to your favourite server.

haarg

PC blowticious
Apr 24, 2002
Over there
Seems like a decent program. I had to remove the ad because it uses IE to render it, and IE is screwed up on my comp right now.
My nick is haarg.

HuggyBear

manta claus
Feb 23, 2004
Cri - huggybear is taken! Guess I'll have to rely on the 2k4 buddy list.

[EDIT:] okay, I'm huggybearbuf now and I've spammed out messages to those of you I know.

Last edited:

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
I usually hate having more than the game +ts or vent while playing...

I can still always be found in the buddy list as BooGiTyBoY|BuF or if you just put *buf.
That's how me and Huggy always seem to find each other.

If I'm not in a game and on my compy I always have my im on...
AIM: Krappypantz

[edit] Okay I broke down and downloaded it to give it a shot... I'm boogityboy on there and I too sent out a bunch o' invites.

PLus Huggy, you can use something else as your login/invite name and set your nickname as HuggyBear. :) That's what will show up in the friends window. :)

Last edited:

rhirud

Fast learning novice
Feb 20, 2004
Well for the first time ever I actually got to play against some fellow BUFer's last night. I played vctf for the first time ever - and was useless at it; and then played ONS - the only gametype I can play propperly with talaeweaver.

:) :) :)

Stigmata

Codepunk
Jan 31, 2004
The Sprawl
I was playing with a few BuF guys last night. Some clan just continually owned me over and over. No lag, no new mouse, no n00bs - just me...sucking.
Anyway, I'm Neurothustra in xfire, since Stigmata was *stolen*.
Boogity, I won't be home until later tonight but I sent you a request to add...
I'll be hitting everyone else up tonight