America's Army Under Fire From Antiwar Group

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
Supporting the theory that AA is recruiting children is the same as saying Doom caused Columbine. Letting this happen is just going to open a flood gate of stupid people blaming video games for things. I think that some of you are letting your anti-US feelings get in the way of your judgement on this. No one has responded to Prophetus statement about other countires and there recruitment habits.

As for GTA vs AA. GTA you pay for, AA is free, you are paying for nothing.

Brits_Hit

Flak Monkey
Aug 1, 2003
Toronto, Canada
dynamic5.gamespy.com
In the USA, you have to be 17 and have your parent's consent. So file a complaint to your country first about breaking international law.

You're making it sound like I'm trying to bash the US specifically. I don't care what country it is, trying to increase military recruitment through a game (whether for the present or the future) seems morally wrong to me. Notice how I said TRYING. I never said they indeed recruited anyone through the method, and that I'm horrified over it.
That is the way I see it... just IMO.

Last edited:

KaiserWarrior

Flyin' High
Aug 5, 2008
I think the problem with this group is that it's using the wrong meaning of recruitment. Recruitment, the way it is used in the article they're citing, means actively employing someone in the armed forces. The law is there to prevent nations from sending toddlers to the front lines as kitted-up combatants. It's not addressing trying to dupe gullible meatheads into thinking the army is cool. The US Army, whatever you may think of it, does not send people under the legal age to war. It's not violating the law.

That said? Yeah, AA is a recruiting tool. A bad one at that, but it's there. But I would also wager that someone would have to be pretty low on the mental faculty list to take that game and pull from it "The army is cool and has no downsides whatsoever!". Not any more than just about any war movie ever made, at least.

This is just yet another case of soccer moms trying to feel important. None of them buys, plays, or in any way invests in video games anyway, so nobody will really care. Hell, none of them even pays attention to ratings -- do you know how many times I've been in a game store hearing some lady, toting around a 10-year-old, screaming to the cashier about how he sold her some filthy GTA game? With her being fully informed at time of purchase what it was?

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
This is totally ludicrous!:loopy: How does this game help recruit kids into wanting to join the military any more than any other military-type video game? When will people learn.......leave the video games alone and learn how to raise and pay attention to your own kids and stop asking the government to do it for you.:mad:

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
Supporting the theory that AA is recruiting children is the same as saying Doom caused Columbine. Letting this happen is just going to open a flood gate of stupid people blaming video games for things. I think that some of you are letting your anti-US feelings get in the way of your judgement on this. No one has responded to Prophetus statement about other countires and there recruitment habits.

As for GTA vs AA. GTA you pay for, AA is free, you are paying for nothing.

Not quite so. AA was intended exactly for the purpose of promoting the army and trying to recruit. The Army wouldn't have funded it otherwise.

Doom wasn't telling people to slaughter helpless people in a school nor was it for recruiting an army of Space Marines to fight forces of hell with plasma guns through a magical portal.

Intent changes things..

Continuum

Lobotomistician
Jul 24, 2005
Boise
The Planet that Once Used to Absorb Flesh in Order to Achieve Divinity and Immortality (Suffocated to the Flesh that it Desired...)

Apathy.

Jan 24, 2008
Doom wasn't telling people to slaughter helpless people in a school nor was it for recruiting an army of Space Marines to fight forces of hell with plasma guns through a magical portal.

Intent changes things..

Whatever man.. You have no idea how long i waited for that portal to open.:mad:

Soggy_Popcorn

THE Irish Ninja
Feb 3, 2008
*irrelevance*...
Or is a game featuring a single hidden sex-scene really that much worse than a recruitment-tool for an organisation specializing in murder ?

Luckily, this organization specializing in murder spills their blood for you each day, to give you the right to be such an ignorant dipsh*t towards them.

Beelzebud (Satanas)

Jul 15, 2003
My tax dollars fund that game, and I don't like the fact that it's being used as a recruitment tool to young kids. I have never like Epic's involvement in AA.

Apathy.

Jan 24, 2008
I didn't like the fact that the Unreal Engine was used for such a craptastic game like postal 2, but I eventually got over it. THat game was horrible too.

kafros

F1 manta tryouts
Jan 21, 2005
Under Articstronghold's bridge
So let me get this straight: these hippies say that American teenagers are so stupid that they will join the Army after watching a bunch of polygons doing cool stuff on-screen.

I am not saying that joining the Army (any army) is stupid (it may be sometimes for some reasons). But doing it for the "polygons" is stupid. Maybe someone has to tell these protesters that not everybody is as stupid as they are.

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
So let me get this straight: these hippies say that American teenagers are so stupid that they will join the Army after watching a bunch of polygons doing cool stuff on-screen.

I am not saying that joining the Army (any army) is stupid (it may be sometimes for some reasons). But doing it for the "polygons" is stupid. Maybe someone has to tell these protesters that not everybody is as stupid as they are.

Don't worry, the Army is counting in people being that stupid. They wouldn't have made this game otherwise.

Smood

Nov 29, 2003
Sorry I must have missed something, but what does Ubisoft have to do with this?

Beelzebud (Satanas)

Jul 15, 2003

No it isn't the "hippies" that say that, it's the U.S. Army, which promotes this game as a recruitment tool.

soyrico

Apr 2, 2000
Visit site
1. It's takes charisma to influence.
2. Who the **** is Applying for THIS war?
3. Nobody else cares what you think so stop blocking the goddamn road.

Soggy_Popcorn

THE Irish Ninja
Feb 3, 2008
1. It's takes charisma to influence.
2. Who the **** is Applying for THIS war?
3. Nobody else cares what you think so stop blocking the goddamn road.

Errr....that might be valid....if recruitment had dropped catastrophically. Which it hasn't. Otherwise the media would be toting it. Every day.

*edit* Crap, uber-bumb via my CP....sorry.

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Where was the outcry back in July 4, 2002 when America's Army first showed up? Ohhh there wasn't a war in Iraq yet. Could this be politically motivated maybe? Okay maybe the guy at the end here doesn't understand how laws work here in the states. We don't answer to the UN as much as you would like us to. haha

Thats why you see military recruiters in highschools. I see no problem in educating teens on what the military is about. There are a lot of people who benefit greatly from the military. It is not breaking any laws, otherwise they would be in court and not in front of Ubisoft. So DASW kiss my ***! Go eat granola and inflate your tires. By the time you reach 18 and if you don't know that war is very dangerous, I'm very concerned that you are driving. :lol:

This is just another way for the people who live in a dream world in the DASW to bitch at the Army and further their anti-military stance. The "College Not Combat" initiative failed there which was to get military recruiting out of highschools in San Francisco. So they're pissed and this is what they turn to next. They are so transfixed on what is going on in Iraq that these people forget that their might be a time when they might need the military. I say cut San Francisco's federal funding. Extreme, not really. This is just the issue of the moment in a constant effort to undermine the military.

GRAW does more for military recruiting then this game. But this one is funded by the Army which this group hates and that is the only difference. Sure one has intent to recruit. So what? When you reach 18 and you point to a videogame as the reason you are joining the Army... well maybe its a good thing you become cannon fodder cause you're an idiot and don't need to reproduce. This argument is sooo stupid.

Last edited:

kafros

F1 manta tryouts
Jan 21, 2005
Under Articstronghold's bridge
If there is one thing that this game teaches "potential recruits", that is the fact that you die in war. They should be "for" these kind of games (unless UT3's respawner tech is just around the corner)

dub

Feb 12, 2002
And AA teaches you that having a superior that can shout at you, tell you what to do and make you sit through boring lectures - and that doing mindless repetitive tasks for the sake of it, is just as boring in a video game as it is in real life.