AMD or P4?!?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Which processor is the best?

• AMD Thunderbird

Votes: 51 85.0%
  • Pentium 4

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • other brand...

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters

kamikaze9

Apr 29, 2000
Yep, a tricked out T-Bird along with a DDR MB with a 266MHz FSB will outperform a P4 with RDRAM and it's "quad-pumping" 100MHz bus (what a mistake that was) any day of the week. If I wanted to spend my money, I'd have a T-Bird rig immediately :)

AgentQ

Apr 15, 2001
Visit site
ThunderbirdUT - How do you like your settup? I'm thinking about geting an AMD Athalon 1.33ghz Thunderbird 266 with an ASUS A7M266 mobo, GeForce 2 video card, and 128mb DDR SDRAM to start off with. Is it worth it? Also, I heard I will need a good cooling fan and heat sink. What should I get for that?

Thrakhath

LunarMancer
Mar 29, 2001
Kanagawa
Like I've always said:

Intel = Trucks
AMD = Cars

Intel was/is meant for power and stability.
AMD was/is meant for speed.

Intel get into trouble when they try to make speedy chips. Now, this comparison isn't perfect, only because there is a larger gap separating truck and cars, but you get the idea.

What I want to know is, what smarty-pants voted for "other?" I'd like to know, WHAT ELSE IS THERE? That you can buy at a reasonable speed (Cyrix is not a correct answer).

ThunderBirdUT

Dangerously Player
Well not really that answer, Thrakhath.

You said "Intel get into trouble"..... it is the answer mean Intel is an Idiots.

I have tested with AMD and Intel SINCE 1990..

AMD is POWER alike from Atom Gen...

Intel is the Battery (from radio shack) (not Energizer)

Do not care of gap!

AMD gonna be King of CPU..

Intel is needs for Gov't at most. Gov't are very IDIOTS!
I work for Gov't. and I recommended them to get AMD, they did not want it. ahhhh... I hide to took one AMD for my workstation, I have nothing problems.. other Intel at my work areas, they got problems... that is NOT STABLE PEROID..... my boss said how that (my PC) worked very well, I said because it is using the AMD CPU, my boss (gasp) said NOTHING!! just walked away.. they is loser!

anyways.

Also at MOST software loves the AMD CPUs. Geforce3 is strongly performance with 3DNOW...

but...
if you are business.. then you get Intel whatever you happy.... if gamer... then get AMD!... I do still not get Intel peroid.

Watch AMD later... it has new Core named is MUSTANG and it can run Multi-CPUs.

ASUS is working on mother board for Dual athlon CPUs!

Also AMD is GROW faster now..

and AMD is trying to offer to Microsoft Xbox to use AMD CPUs, the Microsoft is thinking about it... YAY! (of course Xbox is using Intel Celeron right now).

Last edited:

Blorgg

Feb 7, 2000
The Netherlands
www.nachos.tk
AMD is the MASTER, Smarter, Power of price, Genius, Gamer Lovers, Cannot lose, Wise, Laser-speed!, STABLES, Many Many!

Intel is an IDIOT!!!, Price eater, Turtle, Gov't lovers, Laggy, that's all cheaps

Too bad AMD is such a small company compared to Intel. Intel could easily buy AMD and get rid of that "midget" :(

Fluid

Zen fascists will control you
Aug 2, 2000
Maastricht, the Netherlands
Originally posted by ThunderBirdUT
AMD is gonna KING of CPU!

NO Intel and NO G4 or ELSE for my life! I could!

AMD is the MASTER, Smarter, Power of price, Genius, Gamer Lovers, Cannot lose, Wise, Laser-speed!, STABLES, Many Many!

Intel is an IDIOT!!!, Price eater, Turtle, Gov't lovers, Laggy, that's all cheaps!

I have ASUS A7M266, Thunderbird 1.333Ghz 266Mhz fsb, 384Mb DDR 266Mhz PC2100, IBM 75Gb HDD ATA100.
Voodoo5 2 of 5500AGP/PCI, Firewire, 6 USBs, watercoolant with overlocking 1.41Ghz.
FFFFFFFFFFAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!

Later I will make a picture of mine BABY PC!!!! it's so beautifully! I am HAPPIEST!!!

Prices:
AMD T.B. 1.333Ghz 266Mhz FSB is $248.00
Intel P4 1.5Ghz 400Mhz FSB is $532.00
Intel P4 1.7Ghz 400Mhz FSB is $709.00

AMD T.B. 1.333Ghz and P4 1.7Ghz are the same performance!!!! I have been tested!!! AMD is mine at home and Intel is at my work. I am computer repairs and Engineer.

D O__N O T___G E T___T H E___I N T E L!!!!!!!!!

Y O U___M U S T___H A V E___T H E___A M D!!!!!!!!

AMD's CPU LAW!!

PS: still do NOT get the G4! sorry I am hater the Apple Products.

You know that AMD is getting new name core for CPU? YES! next is "MUSTANG" yes, I'm serious.

If you get AMD, it will make your NEW LIFE!!!!!!!

Yes 1.333Ghz is out NOW!!

I had this for Phototype.

ThunderBirdUT

Not to insult you or anything...but you sound like you're on crack or something like that ;)

BTW:"I have been tested"? :eek:

namu

Bleh.
Dec 21, 2000
Dinae Mensa, Tharsis Regio
namu.free.fr
Looking at their financial performances, and current stock prices: no, Intel cannot reasonnably buy AMD. It would cost them so much, while they have trouble doing profits. If they do that, their stock price would fall in no time, and they would end up having no more money while losing money.

...Thrakhath: i'm the one who voted for "other", i voted for A.I.M. consortium (Apple IBM Motorola) that makes the PowerPC chips :D A PowerPC G4e @ 733 MHz is about as powerful as a 1.1 GHz T.Bird (for everyday use and gaming) The problem is that Apple computers don't get speed bumps as often as PCs... :(

Kokensu

Fire in Ma Belly!
Jan 4, 2000
Shut yo mouth!
Visit site
#1. Someone said this but you don't buy computer parts for future features. You buy them for NOW. Becasue by the time those features are implemented in the software something better will be out and your hardware will be obsolete.

#2. Price IS an issue. At least it should be. Even if you have all the money in the world why would you buy a slower chip for more money? Makes no sense to me.

I like intel and AMD. Both companies have had successes in the past. I have a Linux box running on a P3 450 that runs GREAT. My GF's puter is the same thing. Never had a problem with them and at their prime they were pretty fast systems.

My main box is a 1Ghz T-Bird. I went with AMD NOW cause for the price you get the most bang. It's a few hundred dollars cheaper for the same performance PERIOD.

AMD nor Intel can buy eachother out right now. Intel is big, but AMD is by no means a midget. Please, they're the only two major competetors IN the PC CPU market right now. There's others but this is the Epic vs ID, 3dfx vs Nvidia, Ford vs Chevy, etc. I don't think they're going away anytime soon unless one of them makes some stupid mistakes like 3dfx did. But that's another thread.

You should note that although right now there are ALOT of AMD fans out there, not all AMD systems are that stable. This is due to the crappy ass VIA chipset. It's got alot of known issues with SBLives, USB, and others. However there are fixes for it. I recently reinstalled my system (that was running slow but stable) and ran into all kinds of problems with system hangs. All related to my SBLive(which was in there before!). Most of MY issues were related to ACPI(power management feature). Disabled that and things were good to go. If you do get an Abit(KT7 family) there is a REALLY handy FAQ to fix almost all issues as well as tweak the hell out of it and make it run amazingly fast. Goto www.viahardware.com and check out the KT7 FAQ. I don't know if there is the same for Asus boards somewhere. I do know that both are just as stable depending on your hardware, however from my experience the Abit is easier to overclock and more overclockable. Good luck whichever you decide to go with.

Go for a dual G4
These little things pack soooo much power

Lmao, did they ever enable the OS to SUPPORT dual processors for the G4? Last I heard alot of em had two processors with one just sitting there as a paper weight. Of course I don't keep up with MAC stuff too often. I hate fanatics about ANYTHING, and most of the mac users I've found are fanatics about MAC. Anything that comes out for MAC is revolutionary...."We've got a full sized keyboard, j00 R ownz0rd!!!!!11" .... Yay. :D

Don't think I'm pickin on MAC users, same goes for ThunderbirdUT. Although I agree that AMD is a good chip right now, I don't think Intel sucks in general. The P4 as it currently is DOES suck. But Intel is still a good company. I just hope they don't make too many mistakes.

C¥BER PETE

Masterful
Jan 18, 2000
Visit site
TBird all the way. Way better, more stable, better compatability

LOL You can't be serious! More stable? Better compatability?!?! I would have to say that those would be the only two areas that the P4 spanks the Tbird in. How many businesses are running Tbird for thier mission critical servers? I work for a network consulting company while we've only installed a handful of P4's we haven't installed ANY AMD chips in any servers at all.

Overclockability maybe, faster performance in a majoriity of the apps, yes but not more stable and definately not more compatable! Just search through any technical forums and you'll find 10 times as many people with problems with AMD chips as opposed to P4's. Most all hardware and software apps are designed on and built for Intel based chips everything else is an afterthought.

Oh well to each his own. :)

Last edited:

Kokensu

Fire in Ma Belly!
Jan 4, 2000
Shut yo mouth!
Visit site
AMD IS smaller than Intel but it's by no means a midget in the cpu for PC making world. They're like the top two competitors. Aside from that, even if Intel COULD come up with enough money to BUY AMD and still turn a profit, they'd probably be considered a monopoly here AFAIK. They take up way too much of the PC market. Although I'm not sure if they look at the fact that it's the PC market or just computers in general. Whatever happened with that Microsoft thing, it's kind of similar. In that I think the debate was there were other OS's availabe although maybe not in the PC market thus Microsoft was not a monopoly(or was it ?).

Blorgg

Feb 7, 2000
The Netherlands
www.nachos.tk
AMD IS smaller than Intel but it's by no means a midget in the cpu for PC making world.
The PC market is only a small fraction of the total market of cpu's. Most cpu's end up in office pc's and it's there that Intel almost completely 0wns the market. As for the rest Intel isn't so big because of their cpu's alone, they also produce networkcards, vidcards, chipsets, etc. While AMD only makes money with their flashmemory, they actually lose money on their cpu's.
At the moment home users are better of with AMD, and Intel should be used in a business environment. This could change ofcoz if AMD's Palomino proves to be more then just good promises(wich I hope it will be cuz Intel is too big and is in need of some serious competiton) As for AMD, LONG LIVE THE UNDERDOG!!:)

AgentQ

Apr 15, 2001
Visit site
AMD's are faster, and more stable. They can also be overclocked, while the PIII/P4 can't really. AMD processors are also about half the price of Pentium. Pentium can make a comeback, but at the moment they are loosing. The P4 isn't even as fast as the PIII, let alone the T-bird 1.2 or 1.33. When the Palomino comes out, pentium will take another blow.

Blorgg

Feb 7, 2000
The Netherlands
www.nachos.tk
AMD's are faster, but not more stable. And yes AMD is going stong at the moment. But intel has to sit out their contract with rambus, as soon as that is over they will start using DDR ram. By that time software will be optimized for the P4's and then run faster on those then on TB's. So I hope AMD has an answer ready with their Palomino's.
However I think AMD will lose on the long run:( Intel has started developing a true IA-64 architecture (64-bit cpu) AMD has not. They have "upgraded" the x86 to x86-64 which will be slower then a true 64-bit architecture. So when 64-bit cpu's become mainstream AMD will have a lot of catching up to do:(

beafheart

Deranged
Feb 23, 2001
in your head
Visit site
Originally posted by [PuF]Blorgg
The PC market is only a small fraction of the total market of cpu's.

Yep, thats true and that is the real battle that AMD face. They have already proven they have the technology and people who know about these things will choose an AMD chip now. But companies WILL NOT buy AMD simply because Intel is all they know. It's like the old VHS vs Betamax video formats. Betamax was better but became obsolete very quickly simply because VHS had the most support and the actual tape size was more familiar to the public than the smaller betamax ones!
AMD have stated in the past that they have been making a loss on their CPU sales but they are forced to do so initially to gain a foothold in the market. And yes, their strategy is working slowly, but how long can they go on for. There are a lot of AMD fans but if Intel produce a chip thats way better than anything AMD has then you would all buy the Intel. I know I would. I like AMD and it's great to see the underdog coming through but I just want the best chip mate, I don't really care who makes it :).
Also, it's not really about who's the best company because both have different ideas about how to implement the chip architectures and follow slightly different research patterns. It's a constant race to outdo each other and don't think for one moment that AMD aren't capable of becoming Intel and the roles reversed because they are. Once they get into safer territory they will raise the price of their chips - they have too eventually anyway!
But as always the future is never certain in this industry. Intel are capable of screwing up big time as they have proved several times in the past few years.

Also, the P4 has been designed specifically for that new type of memory that I can't remember just now (is it RamBus or something like that???), anyway apparently it is way expensive so remember to add that to the price of your shiny new expensive P4 if you want one;)
Finally, isn't the X-Box going to have AMD chips in or have I just made that up :D

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the intel 64bit chip wont be able to run old software, while the AMD 64bit chip will be able to.