all the hustle and bustle(and an imortant question)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JonnyBoy

alive
Jun 6, 2000
Visit site
man, all of a sudden with 2.8 out these guys are coming out of the cracks in the walls! anyways.... i have a question about my video card. i never used it because it doesn't work with ut(so i think at least) and the infiltration graphics(no offesne) look terrible compared to the ones i see on the site. is there a patch to fix this or something? thanks guys

JB.gif

the real pacman

Gwen's my hoe
Sep 1, 2000
I don't agree

Well beings that he can't use his video card with UT I doubt this would apply to him. But shouldn't you have a Voodoo5 5500 tuned to Open GL? Just a thought. Correct me if I am worng.

upso.gif
Ã￾ Äm tHÃ¥ MâsTõÖ® RøxXõ®

Dark Knight

Mar 29, 2001
Visit site
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> But shouldn't you have a Voodoo5 5500 tuned to Open GL? [/quote]
---|MEGAMAN|
...Not always. It can depend on what type of processor you are using. For example, if you have an AMD CPU that has the 3DNOW extensions you are far better off using Direct3D (latest version). This is because the CPU and the GPU will work together to give you better performance, where as if you use OpenGL the GPU is doing allot of the work on its own.

The bottom line is that you are best off trying OpenGL and Direct3D, and then use whichever you think is best!

:~)

I used to rock and roll all night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find half an hour a week in which to get funky.
-- Homer J. Simpson

the real pacman

Gwen's my hoe
Sep 1, 2000
Odd...

I don't have a Voodoo 5 5500 but I was told that it doesn't have a GPU and that was the reason that the GeForce was still a better buy. Aside from that I heard that the Voodoo 6 was going to have a GPU to blow away the GeForce. Again, I am probably wrong...

upso.gif

Dark Knight

Mar 29, 2001
Visit site
All graphics cards (be they 2D or 3D) have a GPU (Graphical Processing Unit)

:~)

I used to rock and roll all night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find half an hour a week in which to get funky.
-- Homer J. Simpson

the real pacman

Gwen's my hoe
Sep 1, 2000
You broke my head.

I always thought that till I met mojo. Convince him that there is a GPU with any card..

upso.gif

I_ABuGa

Vetran
Apr 27, 2000
Malaysia
Visit site
DiamondViper550s are TNT or TNT 2 I think.
First thing you should do is plug-in and install the card.

Then go to NVidia's site and DL the reference drivers Detonator 3.something. Install it and reboot.

D3D is the choice API for the TNT.

JonnyBoy

alive
Jun 6, 2000
Visit site
that man, i guess there is hope yet for nice graphics! but since im computer handicapped, could you maybe explain a little more?

JB.gif

I_ABuGa

Vetran
Apr 27, 2000
Malaysia
Visit site
errr... how handicapped?

First, find out what graphics card you are currently equiped with to ascertain whether its better than the V550. You can just post it on this forum and any no. of us can tell you.

I assume the worst case scenario and assume you are using win 98, atx casing.

1- turn off main power switch - the wall socket
2- take screw driver and unsrew/open the casing, this may be difficult if your casing opens backward in which the wires back there get in the way. Just pull them out but try to remember what goes where.
3- look for that board which is connected to the monitor out. Unplug the monitor plug if you havent already. This is your old graphics board, the one you want to replace.
4- chances are, there is a screw holding down the board. Unscrew and pull straight out, carefully.
5- note the color of the slot it was in, if its black its PCI. If its brown... then it would be interesting to know what the old board was.
5- open and unwrap your spanking V550.
6- insert the V550 into the recently vacated slot.
7- do steps 4 to 1, backwards.
8- boot up, if u have problems good luck.
9- Win 98 will detect your card and may ask you to put in the driver disk. Follow install instructions. If no driver disk, then use default/most appropriate drivers.
10-get online and go to NVidia.com, dl the latest reference drivers - detonator 3.0something.
11-install the detonator drivers and reboot.

u should be set to go. just make sure to re-detect your graphics card with UT ->UT safe mode

JonnyBoy

alive
Jun 6, 2000
Visit site
heres the prob

ok, i already have my viperv555 installed in my computer...i think it has been since 1998(9 maybe). but, when i play ut with it i get nothing but solid colors and some see through walls. i got the detenator 3 thing, and followed the instructions to a "t" and it turned my graphics into 16 colors. i had to reinstall the whole thing to get 32 bit back! the question is how do i get dentonator 3 to work?

JB.gif

I_ABuGa

Vetran
Apr 27, 2000
Malaysia
Visit site
ah, detonator 3 is just a name for the drivers. installing better drivers usually help increase performance and ensure better compatibility with a game.

If you have detonator 3 istalled, that's all you need to have done.