Aliens vs Predator 2 Multiplayer demo Released

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

FiringAimlessly

NOT going to waste another minute on CS!
Sep 18, 2001
>_<

After resetting my computer thrice and crashing every single time I ran the thing after that, and lagging like a 56Ker on normal UT in those few minutes I actually played, I promptly uninstalled the dang thing.

The big Monolith and Sierra logos should've tipped me off. >_<

(HL, Alien Legacy, Battle Bugs, and Blood - ie every single game by the two companies I own - do not work with my machine.)

Ah well.

I think a xenomorph mutator for INF would probably capture the feel of the first three Alien movies far better... ^^

RiotChild

Apr 17, 2001
clansma.cjb.net
Bugs & Crashes - [1:47 by Eldritch]
Jason Hall (CEO at Monolith) wrote this in our AvP2 forum:

"10/19/2001

Thank you all for downloading the Aliens vs. Predator 2 MP demo!!!

A potential issue that some of you may have already experienced, is our in-game server finder interface can sometimes crash when it is faced with a large number of available servers.

We apologize for this inconvenience.

Our engineers are working on a fix already. This is not a complicated issue and we'll be releasing a small patch very soon to fix this.

Meanwhile, for those experiencing the problem, you may find some success playing the AVP2 MP demo through GameSpy Arcade or through the LAN. Again, please accept our apology for the inconvenience this is causing.

Jace"

ShakKen

Specops Spook
Jan 11, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
How faithfully could you possibly expect a crossover to stick to the original theme?

At least to the point where;

A)The Aliens behave like they're supposed to.(eg: The behaviour should be based on real life examples of predatory hive mind animals. In this case ants, praying mantises and feral animals. In other word Aliens don't do attacks that no living creature does: Run up to it's prey, stops and starts slashing it. :rolleyes: )

B)The equipment the Colonial Marines use is properly integrated and portrayed(eg: Pulse Rifle holds 95 rounds and you actually pull the trigger of the grenade launcher to fire it.)

C)Certain creative licences are not taken.(eg: The inclusions of 'shotguns' and 'miniguns' included in the colonial marine arsenal. Weapons can be added as part of extraneous arsenal but NOT as part of colonial marine equipment and there MUST be some design sensibility in them. One thing future generations might learn from us is that hand held miniguns DO NOT WORK.)

D)Scenes of the original film are NOT to be plagiarised. Hadleys Hope was OBLITERATED when the terraforming core went critical. That means you do NOT recreate it when your game's timeframe is 'directly after the events in aliens.'. :mad:

E)Visual glitz and 'cool factor' is NEVER substituted for reality base and quality.

F)And most importantly: You don't cross breed a sci-fi universe with a incomparably awesome alien designed by H.R. Giger with some unknown moronic ****'s skull**** face overrated ****bag*.

*Predator

G-Fresh

Red
Aug 6, 2001
Western Mancunia
You know, Shakken's right, the fact that they didn't recreate the pulse rifle correctly down to the most minute detail really ruins the game :rolleyes:

Shakken you sound like the comic book guy

&

&quot;Sp!ke&quot;

Changing the subject a bit...

What was the best Alien movie then?

ShakKen

Specops Spook
Jan 11, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
Alien of course was the one that got the ball running although fiction wise, it could have been far richer.

Aliens is no doubt the best in my book because Cameron incorporated insect exobiology and hive mind research into the behaviour of the aliens as well as lots of applicable technology. Aliens is a literal treasure trove as far as sci-fi universes have gone. Gives you a good look into the economic structure, technological and political climate of the future.

Alien3 was no more than suitable sendoff for the trilogy.

I will never consider 'Ressurection' as a valid or even legal Alien movie.

Mr. Apocalypse

My brain must be broken
Oct 16, 2001
Everywhere but here or there
The first one is Alien, the second one is Aliens, so there really is no Alien two, Aliens is where the game get its story line. The second one was much better anyway there were even marines in the "first" one! All the "first" one is is some unarmed people running around not really doing anything other then getting eatin (hehehe), then they all die expet our heroine and then she floats around in space for 257 years (I think), this is were the "second" and MUCH better one starts off from. See the "first" one if you want the whole story line, otherwise see the "second" one. I really want one of those flying APC's in the second one hehehe, they sould put on in INF lol JK.

&

&quot;Sp!ke&quot;

I liked the beginning of Aliens, but that bit with the flamethrower/pulse rifle combo and onwards was just to crappy to belive...:rolleyes:

MadWoffen

Soon! ©
May 27, 2001
Belgium
www.bifff.net
I stick to Alien. Aliens sounded too hollybooohdian: lot of weapons, explosions and **** like that.

Alien is a film of "ambiance" that the rest of the serie never succeeded in repeating it.

You have no weapon, you are not a soldier and you have to face a xenomorph weapon! Man, that was real tense for me...not like the Gung Ho attitude of Aliens "yeah, let's blow everything with our supa weapons!"
As Shakken said, the only thing I found interesting about it, was the hive xplanation, etc,... Sad they didn't give more details about the life that invented/genetically manipulated these things and that we briefly see in Alien (well, at least what it seems a pilot/ship life form).

Mystery, suspense, tension, how the hell will they get rid of this,...

Yeah, Alien definetely!

&

&quot;Sp!ke&quot;

The original was the best, and from that one: 2. bad
3. Worse
4. crap
And now there has been talks about a 5. ...... :rolleyes:

Mr. Apocalypse

My brain must be broken
Oct 16, 2001
Everywhere but here or there
I think MadWoffen is right a little more about the past would be nice, and it should be like the fist one, but with all the people of the star base still alive. I am thinking new movie, and they should keep the guy that made the last one far away from this one!

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
The original Alien can suck my left nut sack. It was the typical suspense/horror movie, complete with the oh-so-lame "Oh no! It's a horrible man-eating creature! Quick, let's all split up and run around in the dark!" mentality. Also, the alien was so obviously a guy in a suit (and a pretty poor excuse for a suit at that) that it was rediculous. It's hard to be scared by an alien when the mere sight of it makes you burst into laughter. Following the typical suspense/horror pattern, the characters died more from their own stupidity and blundering than due to any alien creature. I can't count the number of times where the crew could have easily overcome the alien if they'd simply rushed in and beat the living shit out of it with whatever was handy instead of sending people out one at a time.

Aliens is definately the king. They got rid of the solo alien and went with what, in my opinion, was a far more realistic approach; that being the hive. And, for the most part, the characters acted intelligently - moving through the halls in squads, clearing each room before proceeding, setting up a command center, erecting barricades, etc.

I actually liked Alien 3 more than I liked the original, for the sole reason that the inmates actually had a plan and the means to carry it out. They weren't just moving targets fumbling around in the dark.

As for Alien Ressurection, let's just say it should've stayed dead.

-Keiichi

RiotChild

Apr 17, 2001
clansma.cjb.net
Ok. We have just checked in a new version of the AVP2 multiplayer demo (1.0.9.2) and it is being tested as we speak. Once we have all the proper approvals it will be released. This should be extremely soon.
Here’s the list of changes for the upcoming new version – hopefully all of them will pass the testing process and be made available to you:

· Fixed the crash bug on the Join screen.
· Added async listing of game servers, so it will now add them in blocks at a time and you can see the progress.
· Added a "[D]" to the end of server names that are dedicated... this helps spot them in the list without the filters, and it allows GameSpyArcade to filter them.
· Added the player rename functionality during an MP game... use ' Spanky' to change your name.
· The server list now filters out servers that can't receive proper game information and reduces the total server count by that amount.
· Added a recommendation warning to players who try to start a non-dedicated server with more than 8 players as the maximum.
· Added PageUp and PageDown support to the server list.
· The arrows on the server list now act as PageUp and PageDown instead of just Up and Down.
· Added mouse wheel support to the server list.
· Added double click join support to the server list.
· Made sure you can skip the FOX intro logo with the keyboard… previous it only worked with the mouse.

Scanning through the server lists, We have seen a lot of very crowded servers running on non-dedicated machines. Our tests indicate that non-dedicated servers may start to lag at six players and become increasingly choppy by eight or nine players. This is because the server is splitting time between the local client's application and the server tasks.

Users should please be aware of this and try to look for fast dedicated servers if they are experiencing too much lag.

To help users find dedicated servers more easily, we've added a [D] to indicate a dedicated server (after the user's server name). GameSpy will then have the option of giving us a filter for this so that we can tell users to try joining dedicated servers first when using GameSpy arcade.

Side note – Some people have voiced some concern regarding the run speed of the Alien that is provided in the demo. They want it to be faster it seems. Don’t worry. The full version of AvP2 has many different Alien types, and some of them run VERY fast! So the speed that some of you are looking for from the Alien species is definitely in the game!

Last thing - Because the demo only contains a small portion of the game’s species and weapons, it is difficult for the demo to retain and demonstrate the full game’s character balances. When we balanced the game, we balanced it based on the capabilities of ALL the characters and ALL the weapons available for the full version. Stripping the game down to its MP demo form, has upset the balance some – but there was no easy way around that. Even still, we feel that the demo is fun, and we hope you do too!

The MP demo is only a TINY sneak peek of what the full game has to offer.

Jace

Sweep

Jul 25, 2001
Visit site
AvP1 was by far the best Aliens themed game I've ever played. Finally a game where I could be the colonial marine that didn't suck TOTAL ASS like every other Aliens game (or Aliens mod). AvP2 though just doesn't feel right, it's already a step down from AvP. I didn't like anything about the way the Alien and Predator character types played in either game though, but I don't care about them anyway... All I want to do is handle a M41A pulse rifle and kill some damn xenomorphs. Which reminds me, they ran on ceilings and walls, moved pretty quickly, lunged at you and junk for the first time in any game that I'm aware of. Usually they stroll up to you and try slap you in the face....

Is there some killer Aliens game that I'm missing out there??? Because so far as I know playing AvP is currently the only way you'll get to wield any of the treasured colonial marine weaponry in anything close to an accurate experience...

And Aliens was by far the best Alien movie, the first one was good too, but a little too typically monster-movie-ish. The others sucked ass, the 4th movie in particular was a slap in the face.

OICW, Where can I find some info about that upcoming PS2 Colonial Marines game? Going to be ported to the PC I hope?