Al Quaeda statement

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Uppity

Apr 17, 2001
NE England (We hang monkeys)
Visit site
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/middle_east/newsid_1590000/1590350.stm

"We thank Almighty God, who said in his holy book: Ye who believe, take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors.

Is that really in the Islamic holy book?

Does anybody here know?

If so then surely they are religiously commanded to not be friendly towards Christians and Jews.

I wonder if they have any writings about Athiests like me?

from the first series of Red Dwarf

Lister: This is Terrible - They're only using religion as an excuse to be really crappy to each other

Cat: So what else is new?

Kibbles-N-Bits

Dec 7, 1999
"We thank Almighty God, who said in his holy book: Ye who believe, take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors.

THAT is NOT from their book. I didn't think that the Christian religion had been founded yet... could be wrong :p

Check here if you have the time.
http://www.umr.edu/~msaumr/Quran/index.html

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
As far as I know, that is NOT in the Qur'an

Islam is actually a really really peaceful religion, alot like buddhism. Here in the west, we misinterpret the whole notion of 'Jihad' (Or if you work for CNN, Fox, NBC or ABC: "jihad-holy-war', just in case you forget what it means after hearing for the 457th time).

Fact of the matter is, jihad isn't actually a holy war. The actual translation of it is closer to "struggle", and story goes that after returning from a battle, Mohammad (Equivalent of Jesus), said to his guys "and now the real jihad begins, the internal jihad".

Note: I'm no theologian, I just spoke to some people in the know about this. The only muslims that'll follow bin Laden are fanatics, and would declare their own war, anyway. We have nothing to fear from the majority (90%) of the muslim population.

Kibbles-N-Bits

Dec 7, 1999
BINGO!

vs62 sec 2

Those who believe (in the Qur'an), and those who follow the Jewish (scriptures), and the Christians and the Sabians,- any who believe in Allah and the Last Day, and work righteousness, shall have their reward with their Lord; on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.

Read it an' weep Usama! Hahaha! Nasty mo'fo! We got ya BEAT f00! :D

Kibbles-N-Bits

Dec 7, 1999
It appears AGAIN in vs69 sec5

Those who believe (in the Qur'an), those who follow the Jewish (scriptures), and the Sabians and the Christians,- any who believe in Allah and the Last Day, and work righteousness,- on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.

DamienW

I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir
Feb 4, 2001
Bayonne, France
Just as he said .... With each religion comes fanatism .... Al-Qaeda statement is not a holy book, but a misinterpretaion of Allah's words... You know, when you have evil intentions, you can misinterpret almost every writing, even the most peaceful one....

Kibbles-N-Bits

Dec 7, 1999
Here's that quote... vs51 section5

O ye who believe! take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors: They are but friends and protectors to each other. And he amongst you that turns to them (for friendship) is of them. Verily Allah guideth not a people unjust.

But they took it out of context. If you read the ones before and after it, it says although you should distance yourselves from the Jews/Christians, they are not enemies. Aparently they are considered equals, but still of a different religion.

Anyone here of the Muslim religion? I could use some insight as to some parts... its very interesting though. :)

ShakKen

Specops Spook
Jan 11, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
The passage denotes RESPECT for the other two religions. Not enmity.

Trust me on this, me being a Catholic living in a primarily muslim country. Al-Qaeda's nonsense is an elitist interpretation of the Koran.

****, my best mate is a muslim. The most devout one I know for the matter. And we'd gladly take a bullet for one another.

Mason

Self appointed voice of reason
Dec 14, 2000
Upstate NY
forums.unreal2.net
Last week, I watched the "West Wing"- the show was an impromptu one in which the White House was in a state of lock down while a group of high school kids were there. While 'stuck' the kids talked to various members of the White House staff and one of them put into this perspective(in the form of an SAT type question:

AL-QAEDA IS TO ISLAM AS -------- IS TO CHRISTIANITY?

The answer (which I surmised, surprisingly) was: the KKK.

Although these groups 'follow' their respective religious texts (or pretend to), they pervert the teachings to fit their own agendas. In many cases they have absolutely no grounds for what they do, are, as has been said many times, fanatics.

OICW

Reason & Logic > Religion
Wow, I didn't know that Shakken was a Catholic.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that at all, I'm a Catholic too :)

Back on thread.

Yes Islam is a peaceful religion, one guy I know is a very nice and peaceful person. I asked him about what it said in the Qu'ran abou "non-believers i.e non-Muslims" and he said that no matter what religion they are, if they follow the basic religious rules (10 Commandments, The 10 Laws etc) and live a good life, then they too will go to heaven.

However, I have seen the opposite of that as well.

Not very pretty :hmm:

MadWoffen

Soon! ©
May 27, 2001
Belgium
www.bifff.net
Originally posted by Kibbles-N-Bits[4C]

I didn't think that the Christian religion had been founded yet... could be wrong :p

Huh ? First religion of the Book is the Jewish religion, followed (I except Jewish sects) by the Christian religion less than 2000 years ago and the Muslim religion in the early 7th century of our era. The Prophet wrote the book after his encounter with the Angel Gabriel...