A warning about achievements

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
That's odd. You need Titan mutator active to get some of the achievements right?

EDIT: I'm failing to get the Lock and Load award. I've started a new campaign and opened up the second chapter. Am I doing something wrong here?

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Another disabler for achievements might be having custom maps in the play list, even if you don't play on them. That seemed to happen to me today for offline deathmatch; I was playing the standard maps through to Turbine before quitting, but had a few custom maps appended to the list, and no achievements were recorded. The same settings but without the custom maps seemed to work.

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
All I can tell you is I started with an empty My Games\UT3\Published\CookedPC folder, and achievements worked. I added that egyptian model to the folder, and achievements stopped working. I removed it, they started working again.

Wait, I can't even have them installed? Oh come on epic, WTF! Get freaking real here! You make a game to mod and then go out of your to put a middle finger out to whoever has a mod. No wonder all my trying to play nice bull****(which completely took the fun out of the game btw) didn't do anything.

Seriously, I am really close to just returning that middle finger. :mad:

And I'm not removing what I enjoy. **** epic and their retarded idea of what cheating is.

Last edited:

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
I suppose it could be classified as cheating to have a custom character model with loud beeping noises for footsteps or something, but yeah it's stupid when you're not even using them.

Nah, that would be a kind of cheat in games like Half-Life, where you can force other people's models to be something else (a common variation is players using bright orange or pink player textures so enemies are easilly spotted), but this is not possible in UT, you can pick your own model, but not not what other people use, so if you want a player model that's bright pink and makes loud noises when walking, it will only hurt yourself, it wont give you any advantage, quite the opposite.

Besides, in UT, any model/skin you want to use has to be allowed by the server (IE he must have it installed on the server, and declared in his server packages) or it wont show up (you will become demoguy instead of the model you wanted), so even using a model with an invisible texture is not going to happen, not unless the server host was dumb enough to allow it.. but if he's that dumb, then anyone who joins can play as that invisible model, making the playing field even (that server would suck, but regardless, anyone who joins would be able to partake in its suckyness).

Player models are not a cheat in any UT game, unlike in Half-Life and Source games, where it actually can be abused.

This also leads me to belive this is a bug and not intended, EPIC went to all this trouble making sure models and skins can't be abused in this manner, and then suddenly decide that they are a cheat? that seems strange to me.. granted, they have made some pretty bad decisions as of late, even downright dumb ones, but surely, they havent compleately lost it (i hope)?

Yea, those are all not cheating. Achievements should be just disabled for that match if using mutators or cheat codes, and not overall, and custom models are legitimate!

Yup. ^this^

It's fair enough you can't unlock an achivement when using a cheatcode, or running an unknown mutator that does who knows what to the gameplay (a mutator could be written that gives human players a huge advantage over bots, for instance, making it much too easy to get certain achivements offline), but they should only be disabled for the match in which they are enabled, not because you have 3'rd party mutators and maps installed, that's useless!

Again, i choose to belive this must be a bug..

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
Nah, that would be a kind of cheat in games like Half-Life, where you can force other people's models to be something else (a common variation is players using bright orange or pink player textures so enemies are easilly spotted), but this is not possible in UT, you can pick your own model, but not not what other people use, so if you want a player model that's bright pink and makes loud noises when walking, it will only hurt yourself, it wont give you any advantage, quite the opposite.

There is a mod in UT3 that does that, btw.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
There is a mod in UT3 that does that, btw.

If it's a mod, then the server must enable it for it to work (unless EPIC has totally messed up all of the "version mismatch" code now), and a modded server could simply not count for achievments, instead of totally ruining all mod support.

Kazimira

Necris Fan
Dec 13, 2008
UK
kazumitsu.deviantart.com
The only way to cheat with player skins is to have one with no footsteps and amost intirely invisable but everyone else would have to have it unless... The cheating programs are desguiseing themselves as player faction code.

Agent_5

Replica?
Jan 24, 2004
UT
I noticed that I was getting achievements with vanilla UT, but when I copied it over to steam it stopped working. I had custom models installed, so I tried deleting those and still didn't get any.