UE2 - UT2kX A SpriteEmitter and a VertMesh - issues

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
I'm making this thread because I'm not sure what the best course of action is for me to take.

So, I'm trying to apply the player's deres effect to the standard CTF flag. The texture part wasn't hard, but I have difficulty applying the emitter part. The SpriteEmitter, called DeResPart, can use the bones of a SkeletalMesh or the vertices of a StaticMesh as spawn locations for the particles. However, the CTF flag is a VertMesh, which doesn't support neither method. Note that I do not require for the emitter to attach to animated vertices; I intend to stop the animation before starting the deres-effect.

A logical step would be to turn the first 'frame' of the VertMesh into a StaticMesh and use that as a spawn location for the emitter. However, I'm unable to find any method to extract anything of the VertMesh, neither with UnrealEd or UTPT. I have been able to convert an actor that displays as the flag into a StaticMesh, but UnrealEd is only able to export this to an .obj file and multiple attempts to turn it into an .ase file didn't work. UTPT is apparently unable to extract model data; it shows an option but does nothing.

I have considered using a Volume rather than a StaticMesh, but I doubt the result would turn out well with the huge gap between the pole and the flag. Not using an emitter at all would be a possibility too, but one I consider a last resort, if no solution at all can be found.

Basically my question: have I missed anything that could achieve what I'm trying to do? Has anyone ever run into an issue like this with a VertMesh, and how did you solve it? And what would be the best course of action for me?

I've attached the .obj if anyone is interested. Note that it is rather distorted, which is the result of converting a VertMesh into a StaticMesh into an .obj file. :p

Attachments

• flagmesh.zip
    24.6 KB · Views: 9

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
The deres effect is an emitter, that is attached to the Pawn. Now if you attach a similar emitter to the flag, you can give that emitter as second SpriteEmitter that spawns along a line that you configure via the box location offset, not via some mesh spawning.

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
Actually, that works pretty brilliantly. I was going for a more accurate method, but that isn't necessary at all. As usual, I'm trying too hard. Thank you for your help, Wormbo. :D