A Perfect Circle

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Went to the concert last Friday, really had a great time. Best time I've had at a concert in years. The songs sounded so much better live, especially the ones on the albums that are slow...they got totally re-styled, sounded like new songs almost.

I still don't get why Maynard is so stage-a-phobic. He was behind a screen for the first 2 or 3 songs and throughout the rest of the concert he was in the middle of the stage with the lighting cut around him in such a way that he was always in a shadow. Plus his hair covered his face so you never got a look at him. He rocks really hard so it is strange to see him hide himself. He even talked to crowd between some songs and seemed pretty into it.

My gf went all gothed out, wish I had a pic for you guys.

oosyxxx

teh3vilspa7ula
Jan 4, 2000
Apparently he and Tool value privacy and think fan and media interaction with the band should be limited, but I've also heard that he "wants Tool to be his underground band, and APC to be his pop band," which he supposedly said. I don't know what to believe. I appreciate the dark vibe of each band and the artistry involved in their performances, but yeah, it'd be nice to see the looks on his face when he's singing. I kinda think he just wants to be mysterious and enigmatic because people tend to like that. Ever see the Tool interview conducted by the Australian TV station? It's classic. :) Maynard talks about file sharing and .mp3's and at one point says something like, "One kid buys a CD, then burns it for ten of his friends. That's ninety CD's!" Fuzzy math, I tell ya. ;) But yeah, I saw APC last winter with MPP. I don't like their new album much yet, but admittedly I haven't given it a chance. They played well, but I didn't feel the energy much until the closer, "Judith." Tool brought it way more, and that's my amateur opinion. :p

darth_weasel

I won
Apr 20, 2002
UK
darth-weasel.tripod.com
what he should do is stop trying so hard to be artsy and realise he's just another band frontman

playing 30 minute songs doesnt make you better it makes you a ponce. i can understand the 30 minute song thing if youre a good enough musician than you transcend the normal rules, like dream theater or something, but his bands are just mediocre.

as you can perhaps tell im not a maynard fan.

darth_weasel

I won
Apr 20, 2002
UK
darth-weasel.tripod.com
and for the record i dont mind long songs, like i mentioned dream theater, but playing something boring and mediocre for that long does my head in. or would, if i was unfortunate enough to, by some series of events, end up at a tool show.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
didnt James Iha join apc? I've accquired the latest apc album just because of iha but he didnt seem to do much on that album.

Dec 21, 2001
monotony
Visit site
Tool needs to put out another album.
APC is normally better then tool in concert (although I do believe Tool is a far better band) cause maynard doesnt hide as much. The first APC show I saw was when they toured with NIN it was seriously the sweetest concert I have ever seen. NIN was kick ass of course and MAynard was in full glory and was extremely energenic... danced all over and jumped around and crap. After that Tool was a huge dissapointment when I saw them.

Chrysaor

Lord of the Pants
Nov 3, 2001
Hiding in your Attic
I saw Tool do a 25 min version of relfection. Got kinda boring.

I don't have a problem with Maynard staying out of the front, but he needs to wear clothes when he is there. He looks like sprawling narcotic man-fetus when he yells.

That's bad.

Yeah, he seemed to get more naked as the concert went on.

The thing between APC and Tool is that, well, they are two very different bands. APC doesn't really have any "long" songs like tool, and the stuff both of them sing about are different. Really, people think they are similiar cus it is Maynard's voice, but if you listen to the lyrics and the mood APC tries to stir up...it's more like listening to Smashing Pumpkins than Tool.