A Modest Proposal - Dear American liberals

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Jacks, I do not quite understand what you are saying. To the best of my knowledge, most states do not require a small business to provide fringe benefits such as medical, dental or vision. Most do out of necessity to hire and maintain a quality workforce. The only businesses I know of that are required by any law to offer or provide these benefits are businesses that have workers under Davis-Bacon or Service Contract Act state and federal contracts. The individual state or regional Wage Determination listings describe the required fringe benefits to these employees. This is all regulated by state and federal departments of labor.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Answer the question. Do you need healhcare insurance to start a business?

Btw, the answer is no.

Healthcare insurance isn't needed to get yourself going in life. Now if you please, I have other morons to argue with.

lol I think you kinda missunderstood his point. There's probably a lot of people out there that probably would go it on their own, but they choose not to because they need to remain covered. Some people simply cannot handle the risks associated with being uninsured.

This is exactly the reason why I hate the current system. It's entirely too dependant upon employers to provide insurance. That's why I am totally in favor of amending the system to favor private insurance instead. I wouldn't mind seeing employor offered healthcare to disappear completely. Just give me a slightly bigger paycheck, and I'll find my own insurance.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
But not everyone has pre-existing conditions that may preclude or prohibit them from getting insurance through a broker in lieu of an employer. You'd be surprised at how much you could save by going outside of your employer-based plan in many cases.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
His name is Daniel Hauser, and he's the kid whose parents wouldn't let him get chemotherapy treatment for his Hodgkins lymphoma. (The BIG bad evil government eventually forced him into treatment and saved his life.) Well, seems because of religious reasons, he's was home-schooled, and at age 13 is completely illiterate.

Why are you cherry-picking examples like that? You know as well as I do that there are successes and failures in just about every educational system. How do kids in our public system fare against kids in other countries?

Homeschooling is governed by the states and should rermain so. Some are more strict than others and there are ways to encourage states to toughen requirements that don't involve the federal government.

You mean like the one you quoted when you first complained of it?

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showpost.php?p=2332348&postcount=44

Yeah... I responded to a deadpan personal attack from Larkin with a "properly emoticoned" non-serious jab back (("I'm stupid? I explained this twice and you still don't get it")) and yet I'm the problem?

Get real dude. Serious. Re-evaluate the situation here. Take a step back.

Both of you need to knock off the personal attacks, I agree. Also, using emoticons doesn't necessarily make what you say ok. I just said that if you are constantly being misunderstood, then try using them. Obviously when you insult someone a ;) isn't always going to cut it.

Most people can't start a private business or change their job because of the current (in)accessibility of health care.

Facts are facts. Spin it how you want.

I can go start a private business tomorrow if I wanted to. How is it that most people can't?

Who's spinning now?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I know this isn't what you meant, but...

I wonder how many people would like to be in Andrew Jackson shoes on that one. Can any of you guys come with a better solution to the problem? I know I can't, but just wondering if any of you guys have a working solution to the problem that would of been feasible at the time. Not saying I agree with his decision now, but still I would love to hear a better one.
You mean moving the natives to reservations?

I'm not sure that moving them to reservations at the time he did was the worst possible thing. I find it far worse that we have left them on reservations and then pandered to their every whim. I lived on a reservation in Nebraska for a while, and I can tell you that, at least in that area, the native americans are some of the laziest, fattest people you will ever meet (I'm of course generalizing, because there are many not fat, not lazy native americans, also, but the general population does not have jobs and there are entire cities made of government provided housing). I can tell you that we have seriously underperformed for them. I see it as possibly the greatest tragedy of our nation what has happened to them.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
Healthcare insurance isn't needed to get yourself going in life.
your stupidity precedes you.
for the owner or their employees? :/ I'm starting a business and I buy my own HC...
mostly for their employees, but also for themselves.

sure, you can buy your own.... if you can afford it (problem # 1) and if you don't have preexisting conditions (problem # 2). now, while these aren't a problem for everyone, you can't ignore that they exist and must be remedied. the existence of either problem is enough to hold back would-be small business owners all over the country.

but even for the people who don't have one of those problems and can find health care for themselves, they must then find a way to insure their own employees if they have any hope of their business being successful in the long run.
Most do out of necessity to hire and maintain a quality workforce.
thanks for making my point for me.

again:
There's a lot of people out there that probably would go it on their own, but they choose not to because they need to remain covered. Some people simply cannot handle the risks associated with being uninsured.
Bingo.
You'd be surprised at how much you could save by going outside of your employer-based plan in many cases.
yeah.... if you can afford to do so and don't have a preexisting condition :p
but the debate about health care reform isn't a debate about those individuals who are "best case scenario." this is about the citizens in this country who represent the opposite end of that spectrum.
I can go start a private business tomorrow if I wanted to. How is it that most people can't?
:rolleyes:
I know you're smarter than that, Hal.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
mostly for their employees, but also for themselves.

sure, you can buy your own.... if you can afford it (problem # 1) and if you don't have preexisting conditions (problem # 2). now, while these aren't a problem for everyone, you can't ignore that they exist and must be remedied. the existence of either problem is enough to hold back would-be small business owners all over the country.

but even for the people who don't have one of those problems and can find health care for themselves, they must then find a way to insure their own employees if they have any hope of their business being successful in the long run.

yeah.... if you can afford to do so and don't have a preexisting condition :p
but the debate about health care reform isn't a debate about those individuals who are "best case scenario." this is about the citizens in this country who represent the opposite end of that spectrum.
Anybody wanting to start their own business and worried about administrative problems need only look no further than their local PEO (or PEOs) to solve their problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_Employer_Organization

There are entire companies devoted to solving this problem. If you want to start a business, have a reliable enough source of income to be hiring additional employees, and need benefits without worrying about pre-existing conditions or service limitations, why you WOULDN'T use one of these is far beyond me.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
:rolleyes: I know you're smarter than that, Hal.

You've pointed out some problems with the current system that we both agree on - it's expensive to pay for your own healthcare and it's expensive to pay for a company healthcare plan. We also both agree that the current system is a big problem.

But you've made an incredible leap in logic by stating that most people can't start their own business because of their current (in)accessibility to healthcare.

Clearly they can. No one says you have to have healthcare as long as you have a small enough business (or you are the only employee). You can even start a business while you're working another job. Heck, I think even Walmart offers its part-timers insurance. We're not mandated to have health insurance right now (thankfully), so young and healthy people really don't need much more than catastrophic, do they?

Finally, wouldn't it be much better if we didn't have to jump through bureaucratic hoop after hoop to care for ourselves? Wouldn't it be better to stop dumping billions of dollars into their paper-pushing offices and use that for ourselves to pay our own way?

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
it's expensive to pay for your own healthcare and it's expensive to pay for a company healthcare plan

Out of curiousity what would you consider a reasonable price for healthcare? I pay about $120 a month for my healthcare, and I'm about to move to a different program that includes dental for a lower price.

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
Out of curiousity what would you consider a reasonable price for healthcare? I pay about $120 a month for my healthcare, and I'm about to move to a different program that includes dental for a lower price.

over-weight?
smoker?
(youre married)
it also depends on co-pay and yearly deductible

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com

I have no idea how much you should pay for your personal insurance.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
You mean moving the natives to reservations?

I'm not sure that moving them to reservations at the time he did was the worst possible thing. I find it far worse that we have left them on reservations and then pandered to their every whim. I lived on a reservation in Nebraska for a while, and I can tell you that, at least in that area, the native americans are some of the laziest, fattest people you will ever meet (I'm of course generalizing, because there are many not fat, not lazy native americans, also, but the general population does not have jobs and there are entire cities made of government provided housing). I can tell you that we have seriously underperformed for them. I see it as possibly the greatest tragedy of our nation what has happened to them.

Wait, what?

You people are saying that the illegal forced removal of entire peoples from their lands, which KILLED nearly half of them, into an arid land so that the government could have the more fertile prosperous land wasn't the worst possible thing?

No, apparently the worst part was PANDERING. It wasn't that even after STEALING THEIR LAND and forcing them on a DEATH MARCH across the country and THEN systematically isolating and discriminating against them for decades afterward. Oh no, it was when a few people grew a semblance of a soul and decided to let them have SOME sort of self governance as a pittance of an apology.

But it's okay, you lived in a geographically isolated place once which was seriously lacking in industry (because it was so poorly located--on purpose) and the people lived in a depressed destitution. They must be lazy.

~Jason

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
Expected no thought response....sigh.

Maybe think beyond face value or better yet understand that neither one of us said it was alright.

Feels like I'm arguing with grade schoolers today. WTF!

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Expected no thought response....sigh.

Um, no. You opined that what else would he have done with the problem? The problem being that white people wanted land that belonged to non-white people. The solution, the upheaval of the indigenous people to their deaths and destitution. What else could have been done: I don't know, honoring their use of the land? Not stealing? What's honestly to think about there? What grand salvation is there for Jackson?

~Jason

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
Um, no. You opined that what else would he have done with the problem? The problem being that white people wanted land that belonged to non-white people. The solution, the upheaval of the indigenous people to their deaths and destitution. What else could have been done: I don't know, honoring their use of the land? Not stealing? What's honestly to think about there? What grand salvation is there for Jackson?

~Jason

Do you fail on purpose, or does it just happen? Learn about the struggle a bit more, geez.

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Do fail on purpose, or does it just happen? Learn about the struggle a bit more, geez.

And for godsake, his work on banks was NOTHING, I guess.

No, seriously: what is the struggle that's going on, what were the hard choices being made? You're quick to say I fail and yet you have so far failed to present this horrible struggle, the DIFFICULT choice of Jackson to, I don't know, OBEY THE SUPREME COURT. Please elucidate it for us poor, simple graduate students.

In response to a comment about being sent to reservations like the native americans you said

I wonder how many people would like to be in Andrew Jackson shoes on that one. Can any of you guys come with a better solution to the problem? I know I can't, but just wondering if any of you guys have a working solution to the problem that would of been feasible at the time. Not saying I agree with his decision now, but still I would love to hear a better one.

What is the struggle there? What else should be seriously considered?

Also: what does not wanting a central bank have to do with the removal of the native americans? (the answer is nothing)

~Jason