News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Off Topic > Hardware, Software & Troubleshooting

Old 29th Nov 1999, 10:29 AM   #1
Cebu

Unhappy

It seems that everytime I play online that the disconnect icon pops up every few minutes. I've tried changing modems and adjusting settings ingame but to no avail. I play q3 and h/l online with no problem so I doubt it is my isp. Any suggestions? Comments? I appreciate the help. Thanks

------------------
Cebu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Nov 1999, 08:54 PM   #2
The-Wraith

Nodda thing you can do unless you have acces to a cable modem, Isdn or dsl hook up face it 56k's flat out suck with UT

I am the one!!!!
The-Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 1999, 08:24 AM   #3
Cebu

Cool

Hell 56k sucks with everything. Unfortunately I live in a podunk, small, hick, white trash town which has a crappy cable company who sits on their *** and does nothing to improve the situation other than raising their rates every year.
Cebu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 1999, 08:54 AM   #4
EASY_Target

Question

I get that frequently..even with medium pings (150) and I am on Cable.
EASY_Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 1999, 04:29 PM   #5
Voyd

do all servers do this or just certain ones? go to the console and type statnet. now look at the IN/OUT data rates. when u get the phone jack icon one of these will go down to zero, meaning you are not receiving anything for that period of time. you cant do anything about it, its either you lost 100% of packets or the servers just flat out didnt send you anything cuz its overloaded.

try alot of diffrent servers and if they all do it, then you can bet its your isp.
Voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 1999, 04:14 AM   #6
presley

I have the same prob.. but actually my game will sort of freeze up without the icon.. I dont mean freeze in the sense that nothing will move. I can move around level and shoot but nothing shoots and everyone is gone. i have to reconnec to server to play again. this happens very frequently. I have cable modem (1 way telco return). I know it is not my isp as all the other popular games work very well. My only prob is with UT..
presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Dec 1999, 01:55 PM   #7
Cryton
Loafing Bast

yeah this happens to me... its not necessarity that packets have got lost either, sometimes the server stores a load of packets up at its end if it is busy and then sends them all at one (you can tell this because you suddently see players moving four times as fast and then slow down to normal speed)

as a matter of interest, do other people actually have thier modem DISCONNECT from their isp when they play. I get this all the time and it is PI$$ING me off big time.
Cryton is offline   Reply With Quote