Hours played per day of UT3/UT2004

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Fluorescence

Feb 19, 2009
Berkshire, England
Well over the last 2 years, whenever i have remembered, i have collected the data from xfire.com that displays how many hours per day UT2004/UT3 is played by Xfire users. Now 24 months have passed, I've made a graph of all the data i've managed to collect. It's just something interesting i guess!

utgraph.png

Below is another graph based on how these games rank on Xfire based on hours played per day. The values of Unreal, Unreal II, UT and UT2003 are based on two values: The month and rank at which they peaked and their rank as of today. Would be more accurate if Xfire had an archive of all this data, but i don't think such a thing exists; would like to enquire about that actually.
rankgraph.jpg

I think January 2004 is as far back as their data goes.
ranks.jpg

Last edited:

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
2k4 is on the up?
anyway it's nice to see it's not dead at all.
I wonder how many off-liners still play?
It's been on the rise for a while. Though you'd probably see a slight increase if it counted players no using xfire, but probably no change for UT3 since no one plays it anymore. :p

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Well, right now XFire works for me in UT3 and not in UT2004, so go figure. Well, actually, there's a reason for that: if you have the x64 patch for UT2004 installed, XFire only monitors the x64 version, and if you have Steam overlay, XFire doesn't work there, at least with XFire In-Game.
And I play offline in both games equally.

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
It's been on the rise for a while. Though you'd probably see a slight increase if it counted players no using xfire, but probably no change for UT3 since no one plays it anymore. :p

Yes, because his graphs totally show there's 0 people playing UT3...

Unless that was meant as a joke, as evidenced by the smiley face... god damn Internet not-able-to-tell-the-tone-of-people's-posts tendencies...

Last edited:

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
Then you have people like me that love all three games of the series equally, but just wish I had time to play all three in the same day, tho.
To me, UT99, UT2004, and UT3 all have their own fair share of pros and cons, and I try and devote equal time to all of them as best I can.

UT99 has the best bot AI in team gameplay and best selection of weapons
UT2004 is the fastest-paced of the three, and has the most gameplay modes
UT3 has the best graphics, level editor, and physics

So I can't knock one off from the other, to me, all three are really good.

Last edited:

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Yes, because his graphs totally show there's 0 people playing UT3...

Unless that was meant as a joke, as evidenced by the smiley face... god damn Internet not-able-to-tell-the-tone-of-people's-posts tendencies...
I was being serious, but I'll tell you what, let's play some stupid UT3. If I win, you ignore my ut3 hate, if you win, I'll praise Epic forever more.

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
EDIT: Moved to PM

The reason I don't play UT2k4 any more is because of two reasons. The first reason is that it keeps crashing with the error of "Ran out of virtual memory" and I can't figure out how to fix it. The second reason is because the game is too sports-like compared to UT3. That was the intention, yes, but after playing UT3, playing a deathmatch game in UT2k4 with the announcer sounding like he's commentating a football game is unsettling to me, especially when there's an actual football clone in the game (bombing run).

EDIT: Wait hang on, I must have been confused with UT2K3. I don't know why I like UT3 more than UT2k4.

Last edited:

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
KillerSkaarj said:
I'm not telling you to praise Epic or UT3, I'm telling you to stfu.

In other news.... wait, this is technically on topic, right?
Yes this is on topic.

Don't tell me to stfu unless you want to play! You can add a +1 to the player count for 30 mins if you do.

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
EDIT: Moved to PM

The reason I don't play UT2k4 any more is because of two reasons. The first reason is that it keeps crashing with the error of "Ran out of virtual memory" and I can't figure out how to fix it. The second reason is because the game is too sports-like compared to UT3. That was the intention, yes, but after playing UT3, playing a deathmatch game in UT2k4 with the announcer sounding like he's commentating a football game is unsettling to me, especially when there's an actual football clone in the game (bombing run).

EDIT: Wait hang on, I must have been confused with UT2K3. I don't know why I like UT3 more than UT2k4.

Well, actually, you can set the UT2004 announcement type to UT2003, you just have to specify it in the audio tab under the settings menu.
'Course, I have my announcement type set to Sexy all the way, so no complaints there.

Last edited:

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
Well, actually, you can set the UT2004 announcement type to UT2003, you just have to specify it in the audio tab under the settings menu.
'Course, I have my announcement type set to Sexy all the way, so no complaints there.

Well actually the core reason I'm not playing UT2k4 is because it keeps crashing. I don't know why I went on a rant about the announcer. Probably because I woke up at 6 PM and haven't had my coffee yet...

I think the reason UT3 has less players than UT2k4 is because to some people, UT3 isn't as polished as UT2k4, which is a biased opinion because UT2k4 was basically a giant patch and expansion pack for UT2k3 that you had to buy and install separately, hence the higher level of polish. Then Midway had to go bankrupt and now Epic can't work on UT3 any more.

Another annoyance is when someone complains about UT3's problems, then when a community member comes out with a solution (i.e. MapMixer for the UI), that same person says "this should have been in from the start" and quits playing. What? Where's the logic in that?

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
UT3 peaks on Steam at about 200-250 people playing most days. Which is actually not great but not as horrible as I would have thought.

Firefly

United Kingdom is not a country.
For a triple A title, that's poor.
A lot of people like the sports style. That's always been UT's format.
UT3 broke that and made it worse by only including the tournament in the title and no where else. That helped ruin the UT3's credibility.

BTW you can change the voice of the announcer.
I personally prefer UT2k4 myself.

Last edited:

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
KillerSkaarj said:
Then Midway had to go bankrupt and now Epic can't work on UT3 any more.
True, and I don't think Epic wants to go back to Atari/Infogrames again to try UT3 from them anymore. They basically ended their relationship with Epic some time ago, so...who knows, they may have to turn to Microsoft for everything now.

Last edited:

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
Either that, or too many Counter-Strike fans to make UT3 happy. That was another game that may have killed it. That's one reason why I gave up CS:S was because there were too many yo-yos playing that, just wasn't exactly a peaceful game to have a team match with anymore. I thought UT3 was where a lot of the GOOD players went to. Guess not. :(