**** NLP

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Just a short rant about NLP and other questionning techniques. It annoys me to think that some people use body language to evaluate whether someone is being sincere or not. What about cultural differences? What about personality?

For example, not making eye contact or looking down does not automatically mean someone is lying. In fact, to cite a cultural difference women in some countries do not make eye contact with men because it isn't tolerated.

(Edited PNL=NLP)

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I agree.

I hate the "rules of engagement" as far as body language goes. I have twitchy legs during all kinds of things, it doesn't mean I'm having subconscious thoughts and being disingenuous. I also rarely look people in the eye more because people staring at me make me uncomfortable and I don't like making others uncomfortable.

Some of the most skilled people in the world don't follow these dumb rules. Even TV personalities who have a hard time focusing their attention in interviews and things doesn't mean they are sitting there lying through their teeth about everything.

**** PNL.

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Alright, I looked it up to no avail. I understand what this thread is about, but that the heck does PNL stand for in this context?

If you're talking about Neuro-linguistic programming (NLP), t's obviously not the right term to use here. :B

Last edited:

pine

Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
ps
PBF020-Skub.gif

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
Yurp, I don't see how psycology can effect your life in such way. Most people you meet aren't evaluating your mental condition.

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
Aside from the cultural stuff , I like to look ppl in the eye when I'm talking to them and I like them to reciprocate. Of course you can't read their minds, but it generally can tell you much more than just their words alone. Just like speech "says" a lot more than typed words.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
If you do a search for "PNL body language" on Google, this thread is the 7th to come up.

That must mean YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE **** YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I also don't know what this PNL thing is, I'm just posting so that there is a run of posts from Texas.

~Jason

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
I presume he means Neuro-linguistic programming even though it has got nothing to do with anything in the thread :gonk:

pine

Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
lol, and I like how Brizz jumped on board with it when there's no realistic way he could have known what Azura was talking about.

This must be part of the 14.74% remaining nonsense. :)

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
If you do a search for "PNL body language" on Google, this thread is the 7th to come up.

That must mean YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE **** YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!

[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl9sOYPT5UY[/m]

[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNUe5knbFRE[/m]

P.S: I wouldn't have mentionned it without having read a few books on the subject. NLP is a simple tool so it can be used and abused (misinterpretation).

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Did you guys even read the first post? :con:

Neuro-linguistic Programming - a model of interpersonal communication chiefly concerned with the relationship between successful patterns of behaviour and the subjective experiences (esp. patterns of thought) underlying them

Of course it has everything to do with what he is talking about. The assumption that some forms of behavior in communication are "successful" or more "appropriate" than others is complete and utter ****. You can't make assumptions about a person based on how they act while they are talking to you, it's stupid.

NLP (sorry, got confused from the way he put it before) implies that there is a reason people act the way they do while they communicate (and that you should communicate a different way if you act in those ways). I hate it. I've been skipped over for jobs because I supposedly "don't communicate well" based on a ten minute interview.

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
I don't see how it can apply to job interviews or anything in real life very well It's not like they're psychologists. but it could be more effective in therapy and stuffs. Not proper I mean.
-
How can you say "You can't make assumptions about a person based on how they act while they are talking to you, it's stupid." Brizz? How else can you have any understanding of a person other than by observing how they behave. That's fairly basic, and it's completely natural for humans to attempt to rationalize.

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
@BITE_ME: No Leftover Peanuts for you :)

I don't see how it can apply to job interviews or anything in real life very well It's not like they're psychologists. but it could be more effective in therapy and stuffs. Not proper I mean.

They are and psychology is used in job interviews. I hate the idea that any of my reactions risk being misinterpreted and I see Sir_Brizz has gotten the short end of the stick too. It should normally be used with calibration (seeing a person's reaction to questions with obvious answers). It can turn an interview that seemed to go relatively well into flat refusal. In short, it's bull**** when in the wrong hands.

Last edited: