Gamespy fail

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

WGH

Jan 22, 2006
Moscow, Russia
wgh.ath.cx
I was sceptical about opinion that GameSpy ruins the game. But recently I've changed my mind.

In short, this's a bug that makes some servers (roughly one sixth) invisible when the game client is running under limited, non-administrator account. It appeared around November 2009 (so it's a regression), and hasn't been fixed so far.

Epic Games and GameSpy refuse to fix it, despite it's clear that it's their fault. The game hasn't been so much of success, but this thing ruins the game even further.

http://wiki.unrealadmin.org/UT3_ICMP_Fail - technical description (feel free to correct my mistakes)
http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=708895 - closed thread on Epic Games forum

Venom007

Jan 20, 2010
I Pointed that out the Day it happened..when they did their so-called "Upgrade" And Flak Banned me for pointing out the obvious...that Gamespy and Now Epic Suck.

I sent them Stupid Packet Captures Etc Etc, I haven't changed anything on my servers/Client in over a year and Now its a "ClientSide" Issue. HAHAHA

What a Joke.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
hey **** you guys.
I keep playing this game in some rare occasions but only HOLP DM maps because they are actually the only funny things in the whole Tournament series?!

Princess_Die

Always Out Numbered... Never Out Gunned
Feb 22, 2006
UT3 is a joke, the biggest one is that a few people still care about it. :)

You're like the high school senior that can't wait to graduate and runs his mouth on how much his school sucks. Then after graduation ends up hanging out around the outside of the school because he has nothing to do.

Epic Games and GameSpy refuse to fix it, despite it's clear that it's their fault. The game hasn't been so much of success, but this thing ruins the game even further.

There was a post on the admin mailing list that if you create a new login and use a NEW email address that gamespy doesn't have that it fixes the issue. Does anyone know if that does indeed fix the issue?

togmkn

tog-em-kay-en
Jun 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Well f***ity f*** all a y'all.

I'm guessing that using Xfire's server browser will bypass this problem. I really like using game-monitor.com, though. It shows more servers than Xfire does. It can't determine your ping, but you can have it display only servers within some distance from you. There's another one called gametracker.com that shows some nice server stats (like a pie chart of what maps are played), but it doesn't update as f***ing frequently as game-monitor.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
You're like the high school senior that can't wait to graduate and runs his mouth on how much his school sucks. Then after graduation ends up hanging out around the outside of the school because he has nothing to do.
You're an idiot. :tup:

I was one of the last few long time Unreal veterans that always tried to support the game, from running FragBU to hosting other unreal events, I only gave up on it all four months ago. But go ahead and keep saying silly things and keep playing ****ty ut3.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Sup dog?
image.php

Last edited:

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
UT3 is a joke, the biggest one is that a few people still care about it. :)

I was one of the last few long time Unreal veterans that always tried to support the game, from running FragBU to hosting other unreal events, I only gave up on it all four months ago. But go ahead and keep saying silly things and keep playing ****ty ut3.

Regardless of what anyone says, you've certainly earned the right to take up the stance you have regarding UT3. I know you tried & tried 'till you were blue in the face & found it was no good, as did my friend, Nick. I still play occasionally, but I understand where you're coming from.

And certainly, that lousy, $@&$ing Gamespy login garbage couldn't have been any help.

I don't know what Epic was thinking. Unreal Tournament is NOT Battlefield 2.

Last edited:

Venom007

Jan 20, 2010
There was a post on the admin mailing list that if you create a new login and use a NEW email address that gamespy doesn't have that it fixes the issue. Does anyone know if that does indeed fix the issue?

Nope It did not..I created all new Logins for My servers and Client still same deal.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk

To be frank you should be eternally grateful that long time regulars like JD still care enough to grace you with their presence. The fact that he put up with this crap game for so long is a true testament to how much he cares.

WGH

Jan 22, 2006
Moscow, Russia
wgh.ath.cx
To be frank you should be eternally grateful that long time regulars like JD still care enough to grace you with their presence. The fact that he put up with this crap game for so long is a true testament to how much he cares.
And now he feels the bitterness because of wasted time and efforts, and trying to compensate it by demotivating others, right?
To be honest, I feel the same, too.